Page 38 of 357 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Where do you think he is getting the meaning xpac? No where else had he been shown doing that so by our logic and understanding Coates head Canon is that T'Challas name means failed assassination attempt due to ooc behavior and pis
    No, by my head logic is if the name Tchalla predates trying to kill Namor, then the name can't come from that situation. It's simply not possible. It like had to originate from something prior to Tchalla being born.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    thank you.... I dont understand why people are making this a thing.
    Wait a minute. I thought you agreed with me. lol. Xpac has a different theory than I do.

He edited it to "not be the case"

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

First off. People get credit where credit is due. If you read anything and knew how this thread operated, when Coates did Tchalla right on the handful of issues he bothered to care, people awknowleged that. So you can miss me and every other poster with that mess because it's a BS excuse people use when they don't have an argument.

Second off. Poor butterfly, that is Evans Rise series. Marvel stupidly put coates name ahead of Evans even though he was merely a consultant and it was something Evans had to fight in every interview.

Please actually be aware of where Stuff comes from before making yourself look silly with misinformation and poor accusations
    Goddess. Coates is showing tchalla as a boss being worshipped by an intergalactic people(defeating mephisto, being intimate with a goddess, and knowing when and how to battle one instance of that being when he stabbed namor) and yet you complain about what his name translates to even though it aligns to canon. that doesn't seem like giving him credit when due.

also, is that scan of him not stabbing winter soldier canon or not? you mentioned that he has never been shown stabbing anyone anywhere in canon, and that scan seems to directly contradict your initial post. did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Wait a minute. I thought you agreed with me. lol. Xpac has a different theory than I do.

He edited it to "not be the case"
    I thought u said with thousand years of storytelling you could see his name eventually becoming as coates had described it.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-20-2018 at 06:45 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

To get away from this discussion for a moment, can I just say that it's hilariously weird that Marvel went out of their way to recruit an African American writer, renowned for his discussion of race in America, who in turn has spent much of his run in the (figurative) weeds?

Mixing the fantastic realities of comics with real world sociopolitical issues isn't easy, don't get me wrong. Priest walked a tight rope his entire run.

But Coates? He ain't even trying.

In casting Wakanda as Christopher Columbus, he casts demons and four armed creatures as aliens. He's cast T'Challa into the future to play with the X-Men's pink rock. And the Adversary? Don't get me started.

It's like we have the real Coates' lamer twin.

Goddess. Coates is showing tchalla as a boss being worshipped by an intergalactic people(defeating mephisto, being intimate with a goddess, and knowing when and how to battle one instance of that being when he stabbed namor) and yet you complain about what his name translates to even though it aligns to canon. that doesn't seem like giving him credit when due.

also, is that scan of him not stabbing winter soldier canon or not? you mentioned that he has never been shown stabbing anyone anywhere in canon, and that scan seems to directly contradict your initial post. did I miss something?

I thought u said with thousand years of storytelling you could see his name eventually becoming as coates had described it.
    I did, but Pac is saying that the meaning predates our Tchalla as if the name always had that meaning. Which I don't believe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    No, by my head logic is if the name Tchalla predates trying to kill Namor, then the name can't come from that situation. It's simply not possible. It like had to originate from something prior to Tchalla being born.
    I like your sense of humour.

I did, but Pac is saying that the meaning predates our Tchalla as if the name always had that meaning. Which I don't believe.
    oh ok then we disagree lolol.. I actually think it had that meaning as well prior to the namor incident
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

so you're saying T'Challa was named after the dagger or something.

Who is he Tenchi Muyo?

Last edited by Jabare; 08-20-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Who is he Tenchi Muyo?

If we're speculating here, I don't think he's named after the dagger so much as he's named after someone who previously wielded it.

I an not going to give credit to him turning Wakanda into an analogy for the slave trade, or did we conveniently forget that? Storm isn't a goddess it's not a feat, "banishing" Klaw also isnt Canon because he was never Wakandan and banishment requires residency. Thrashed Mephisto? He outsmarted him on a cerebral level. And he failed to Kill Namor due to ooc stupidity.

Give credit Where it is due. I praised what he did last issue that was worth praising. He doesn't get automatic praise. Where did I say T'Challa has never stabbed anyone? On talking specifically about the whole putting the knife where it belongs bit. Of course he will stab people with energy daggers...

The translation is stupid as have been pointed out several times on top of the Why it is stupid.
    People here look past the surface and see it for what's really going on past OMG Coates is featuring Storm and treating her better then her actual franchise Coates is the greatest ever!!!

If we're speculating here, I don't think he's named after the dagger so much as he's named after someone who previously wielded it.
    Why speculate when the answer is as clear as day ON PANEL?

I an not going to give credit to him turning Wakanda into an analogy for the slave trade, or did we conveniently forget that? Storm isn't a goddess it's not a feat, "banishing" Klaw also isnt Canon because he was never Wakandan and banishment requires residency. Thrashed Mephisto? He outsmarted him on a cerebral level. And he failed to Kill Namor due to ooc stupidity.

Give credit Where it is due. I praised what he did last issue that was worth praising. He doesn't get automatic praise. Where did I say T'Challa has never stabbed anyone? On talking specifically about the whole putting the knife where it belongs bit. Of course he will stab people with energy daggers...

The translation is stupid as have been pointed out several times on top of the Why it is stupid.
    People here look past the surface and see it for what's really going on past OMG Coates is featuring Storm and treating her better then her actual franchise Coates is the greatest ever!!!
    First of Ororo is a goddess.. Let it go.
    Second, Storm isnt doin anything noteworthy in this series other than appearing in flashback sequences; therefore, she isnt being treated better than tchalla so you can stop with that talking point.
    Third, you don't have to give him credit but when a writer shows tchalla being revered for the things you yourself referenced as evidence of him being able to beat adversary (the mephisto scan which in fact he did thrash him when he defeated him the first encounter when tchalla fought him on earth) yet you trash him over what his name translates to is comes off like you are being petty. Kind of like when you accused me of being silly even though it was you looking like that because I found a scan that contradicted an incorrect point you were making.

and before I go because you keep bringing her up, what has ororo done in this run that indicates coates is making her better than tchalla?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Who is he Tenchi Muyo?

no. tchallas name simply translates to "he who put the blade where it belongs" which appears to be a common and revered statement as indicated by your scan and MOS'.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-20-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Why speculate when the answer is as clear as day ON PANEL?
    Because the image we saw on panel can't be the answer.

I know I sound like a broken record but I will say this again... trying to kill Namor cannot be origin of the T'Challa name if the name predates that incident by at LEAST several decades.

Because the image we saw on panel can't be the answer.

I know I sound like a broken record but I will say this again... trying to kill Namor cannot be origin of the T'Challa name if the name predates that incident by at LEAST several decades.
    So it is impossible for it to become the meaning of a name? The meaning of words have the ability to change. Over two thousand years it is possible for Tchalla to take on that meaning because of the feats Tchalla himself pulled off.

So it is impossible for it to become the meaning of a name? The meaning of words have the ability to change. Over two thousand years it is possible for Tchalla to take on that meaning because of the feats Tchalla himself pulled off.
    hmmmm... I see what you are saying now. I have a question, when was the phrase "put the blade where it belongs" first utilized? is this a traditional thing that goes back years and years or is it something that can to be under tchallas time. I ask because if is something that came to be around tchalla rule then what you propose is possible. however if it's a phrase that has been around as long the name as tchalla has been around I would say it came about prior to tchalla reign as well.