Page 36 of 357 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

How much more explicit do you want it exactly?
    mos, I think pac is saying coates used a recent incident where this happen to demonstrate what his name came from. not that this incident was how the name came to be.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I do see that the hand positions differ slightly when holding the knife. So it definitely isn't talking about this incident. You are 100% right.
    The image is from that incident, but that doesn't mean the name, which predates that scene, is based on it. It couldn't be.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It is most certainly what Coates would have you believe.
    Remember, that "story-telling" takes place galaxies/light years away...for them, what occurred between Namor and T'Challa is (their) legend, not ours.

Really though, it's just Coates trying to be clever and failing quite miserably...there's no way that T'Challa means what Coates' New Wakanda alien people think it means.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.

I do see that the hand positions differ slightly when holding the knife. So it definitely isn't talking about this incident. You are 100% right.
    I actually appreciate the name more now especially considering tchalla tells namor this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

LOL. Man you guys cape so hard for this stupid ####.

The only "BP" run Coates read prior to his gig was New Avengers. He's trying to be cute and failing miserably. Maybe the consort of the goddess T'Challa was really some other T'challa and some other "goddess" too that had nothing to do with the images shown.

Outta here with that.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 08-20-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I actually appreciate the name more now especially considering tchalla tells namor this.
    It gives a sort of dual meaning towards Shuri offering him that dagger back in Time Runs Out.

Have you read any Black Panther books at all outside of Coates stuff?

Not even trying to be mean, it just seems like you comment on things and then it comes out you haven't even read where it came from?

This dagger quote, despite the ridiculous justifications before, is a direct pull from a story involving the utter destruction of Wakanda, the death of Shuri, and T'challa's failed revenge.

It is huge lol. It isn't like this is some obscure reference about Hate Monger or somethign

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post

The only "BP" run Coates read prior to his gig was New Avengers. He's trying to be cute and failing miserably. Maybe the consort of the goddess T'Challa was really some other T'challa and some other "goddess" too that had nothing to do with the images shown.

Outta here with that.
    The mental gymnastics is impressive though
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Outta here with that.
    Even if Coates only read New Avengers, he would be fully aware that the name Tchallas existed prior to him stabbing Namor. They do refer to him as Tchallas prior to that. So again, it's not possible for the name to be based on that incident.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It gives a sort of dual meaning towards Shuri offering him that dagger back in Time Runs Out.
    ooh. why does it have dual meaning to you due to shuri giving him the dagger?

Have you read any Black Panther books at all outside of Coates stuff?

Not even trying to be mean, it just seems like you comment on things and then it comes out you haven't even read where it came from?

This dagger quote, despite the ridiculous justifications before, is a direct pull from a story involving the utter destruction of Wakanda, the death of Shuri, and T'challa's failed revenge.

It is huge lol. It isn't like this is some obscure reference about Hate Monger or somethign

The mental gymnastics is impressive though
    of course i have. most of the BP stories I read were by hudlin. now I didnt read that exact issue with namor but I read a few of the events that occurred that led up to tchalla leaving shuri to fight the black order alone.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Even if Coates only read New Avengers, he would be fully aware that the name Tchallas existed prior to him stabbing Namor. They do refer to him as Tchallas prior to that. So again, it's not possible for the name to be based on that incident.
    agreed.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-20-2018 at 01:53 PM.

what other goddess did tchalla consort with other than ororo?

and what other character named tchalla prior to the current tchalla consorted with a goddess? this is news to me.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-20-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    T'Challa's name existed long before the events that occurred in Hickman's New Avengers saga so saying that a writer can just write any nonsense for readers to take as Canon, is disingenuous to say the least.
    Preach!

10char
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

yes its canon. you dont like it? why? to me it oozes warrior who is strong and willing to fight or kill when necessary. I think it's pretty cool.

also keep in mind this is a future generation of wakandans possibly thousands of years in the future talking about what his name means.
    It doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. I feel its written a little clunky. And honestly I think it could have just been better. At the very least I think Coates could have phrased it differently if he really wanted to go with this meaning.

yeah I get over generations maybe it was given meaning or the meaning has changed.

This was never confirmed but I also felt that certain Wakandan names had a clan denotation. T'Challa is son of T'Chaka, and he has a rival named M'Baku. Other Wakandan names include S'Yan, B'Tumba, etc. In my mind I always thought of the first consonant might be signifying a family or clan name among males, while females get to have euphonic ( and realistic) names.

But let's be clear Stan came up with the name in 1966, so we know it was random. He did a much better job than some other names he came up with *cough* Wong-Chu *cough*
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    It doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. I feel its written a little clunky. And honestly I think it could have just been better. At the very least I think Coates could have phrased it differently if he really wanted to go with this meaning.

yeah I get over generations maybe it was given meaning or the meaning has changed.

This was never confirmed but I also felt that certain Wakandan names had a clan denotation. T'Challa is son of T'Chaka, and he has a rival named M'Baku. Other Wakandan names include S'Yan, B'Tumba, etc. In my mind I always thought of the first consonant might be signifying a family or clan name among males, while females get to have euphonic ( and realistic) names.

But let's be clear Stan came up with the name in 1966, so we know it was random. He did a much better job than some other names he came up with *cough* Wong-Chu *cough*
    I can feel you there with how it read a bit clunky. but after seeing coates took the name from the literal response tchalla gave to namor in the scans provided by mos it made me appreciate it more.

and I like your analysis of the naming of each character. I wonder if that is something that is linked to each clan as you mentioned.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-20-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Outta here with that.
    Coates is trying hard and desperately to 'invent' some kind of Legend/Lore but the context which he employs is so...trite and paper-thin. And the willfully gullible are so impressed. SMDH.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    wait T'Challa's name translates to "He who puts the knife where it belongs" ... WHAT?!

Is this official? Is this canon?
    So, so lame. Weak. Eye rolling. Maybe it might be sort of kinda ok if he had actually killed Namor with the knife. But it isn't even that.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.