Page 37 of 357 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

I was assuming that Tchalla, through his actions, made his name mean "He who puts....". With two thousands years of storytelling, I could see that happening. If Coates wanted to go Boss mode, he'd use his World of Wakanda timeline to have Tchalla actually succeed in killing Namor. Namor wouldn't be needed for the Brevoort "Reed and FF saves the multiverse" story anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    wait T'Challa's name translates to "He who puts the knife where it belongs" ... WHAT?!

Is this official? Is this canon?
    LOL this is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard any writer write. Why does his name even have to have a meaning (Westerns thoughts on Africans)? You sure Coates is not white?
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I was assuming that Tchalla, through his actions, made his name mean "He who puts....". With two thousands years of storytelling, I could see that happening. If Coates wanted to go Boss mode, he'd use his World of Wakanda timeline to have Tchalla actually succeed in killing Namor. Namor wouldn't be needed for the Brevoort "Reed and FF saves the multiverse" story anyway.
    exactly. people have to remember years and years have passed. a lot of details get lost especially when you are talking the things of a legend.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    LOL this is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard any writer write. Why does his name even have to have a meaning (Westerns thoughts on Africans)? You sure Coates is not white?
    African names do have meaning, this is not something attributable to western culture:

https://www.babble.com/baby-names/african-names/
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Yes, I know that. My name is "Friday or Born on Friday" in Kenyan, I lived there for many months as a military consultant. Just saying that ALL names mean "Something", it is just western culture always wants to put this 5 sentence long meaning to every foreign name, when sometimes it just means "morning sun" (hint: that was my Kenyan girl friends name). LOL

Plus, I don't know if it has ever been revealed, but Stan Lee may have just picked the name because it sounded cool.
    Last edited by Mantis Dad; 08-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

I don't have a problem with names having meaning press. Most names do when you break it down or go back and look at their etymology.

My first name means strong. My middle name means morning sun in Ghanaian. My nickname means free spirited. This is a personal nit pick on my part.

If you take the scans from Hickman's Avengers #40 the T'Chaka flashback and than T'Challa giving the dagger to Shuri and her giving it back to him etc. I think that might give this a little more oomph for some.

I personally don't hold Hickman's run in as high regard as some do. I feel T'Challa's been in constant deconstruction mode since AvX (you could argue Doom War if you want). And now Wakanda is in full deconstruct to a degree. Don't get me wrong Hickman gave T'Challa some cool moments and feats and the art was on point. But after Marvel ripped out my heart with the marriage and than Namor nuked Wakanda. Than we had T'Challa working with him for a couple dozen issues and frankly being very un-T'Challa like. Not looping in Wakanda and his people going against his own wise words on the Illuminati. I didn't have any appetite for it.

I still don't know what's going on with the current BP book. Feels like issue 2 came out forever ago. The arts been on point and seems like BP is throwing hands again like he should be but I need like a dozen or so solid issues before I start drinking the kool-aide again.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

My two cents......From what I have seen for this story, Wakanda is the dominant power and its history is what is taught to the slaves who otherwise have no history of themselves. Why is the maroon leader immersed in Wakanda lore and celebrating it when she is not even human? These aren't her people. It is adopted history that the conquerors gave the conquered which kind of ties back into Season 2. Not saying that is good or bad its just what I am seeing for now.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
    My two cents......From what I have seen for this story, Wakanda is the dominant power and its history is what is taught to the slaves who otherwise have no history of themselves. Why is the maroon leader immersed in Wakanda lore and celebrating it when she is not even human? These aren't her people. It is adopted history that the conquerors gave the conquered which kind of ties back into Season 2. Not saying that is good or bad its just what I am seeing for now.
    I figured the leaders of the rebellion were at one time part of the Empires military. They just recruit from slave encampments.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    ooh. why does it have dual meaning to you due to shuri giving him the dagger?

of course i have. most of the BP stories I read were by hudlin. now I didnt read that exact issue with namor but I read a few of the events that occurred that led up to tchalla leaving shuri to fight the black order alone.

agreed.
    Here's the flaw in yours and xpacs logic. You keep saying well maybe it refers to a different point in time in which he out the knife where it belongs... However, there is literally, LITERALLY no other showing of T'Challa " putting the the knife where it belongs" in any form of Canon or anything. Coates used the New avengers scene. You cannot say there may have been another time that he did it because it did not take place anywhere else in Canon. And Coates didn't say "several times he has put the knife where it belongs, to the point that we believe that's what the name Tchalla means" so no. Coates tried to be cute, took a failed assassination attempt T'Challa made and failed due to ooc behavior, and now is trying to attach said failure as the meaning of his name... No thanks, HARD PASS

My Afro-American name means... He Who Don't Buy Your Comic!

We need a school that specializes in Black comic book writers so that the gene pool has more options to choose from!

I think black super heroes suffer from the lack of competition among black creators so that the choices for companies like Marvel or DC are slim to begin with!

If you had at least 20 legitimate and available black writers on their A-game it creates pressure at the top to remain there knowing that you can be replaced versus a sort of entitlement where one person can hold a whole fan base hostage with no threat of the backup quarterback taking your position!

Also... Multiple black creators on their grind can do multiple story arcs and see which ones catch fire and takeover the main canon and continuity like Hudlin did!

1.3 billion dollars worldwide and 700 million dollars domestic deserves better than knife references... What would a mother have been thinking to name their child that in a technologically advanced nation that has never been conquered???

All the adjectives, verbs and general expletives that could be used holding a newborn baby in your arms demands more than that!

Ugly Nakia approves of this message!

Wakanda.

Queen Mother who just went through hell and hot water delivering her baby cuddles the crying child as the father King looks on...

King T'chaka: "How about 'he who impales on a spear' or 'he who guts a fool with a hook' or 'he who tars and feathers a man that looks at him wrong' or..."

Queen Mother: "Let's stick with the knife one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Here's the flaw in yours and xpacs logic. You keep saying well maybe it refers to a different point in time in which he out the knife where it belongs... However, there is literally, LITERALLY no other showing of T'Challa " putting the the knife where it belongs" in any form of Canon or anything. Coates used the New avengers scene. You cannot say there may have been another time that he did it because it did not take place anywhere else in Canon. And Coates didn't say "several times he has put the knife where it belongs, to the point that we believe that's what the name Tchalla means" so no. Coates tried to be cute, took a failed assassination attempt T'Challa made and failed due to ooc behavior, and now is trying to attach said failure as the meaning of his name... No thanks, HARD PASS
    I'm not saying MAYBE T'Challa got the name from the assassination attempt, I'm saying that absolutely HAS to not be the case.

Again, the name T'Challa predates trying to kill Namor. That can't be the origin of the name T'Challa if the name existed long before that incident took place.
    Last edited by XPac; 08-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    are you certain of this:

coates shows tchalla being praised, practically worshipped by an intergalactic community that includes possible millions of people and even defeating memphisto (one of the things fans here have trumpeted), yet there is complaints about what his name translates to which ties to stories told before coates came on the scene? If it was more evident it's clear now, this man could write him saving the universe 100x over and i think some would still find something to critique because it is Coates writing him.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm not saying MAYBE T'Challa got the name from the assassination attempt, I'm saying that absolutely HAS to be the case.

Again, the name T'Challa predates trying to kill Namor. That can't be the origin of the name T'Challa if the name existed long before that incident took place.
    thank you.... I dont understand why people are making this a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm not saying MAYBE T'Challa got the name from the assassination attempt, I'm saying that absolutely HAS to be the case.

Where do you think he is getting the meaning xpac? No where else had he been shown doing that so by our logic and understanding Coates head Canon is that T'Challas name means failed assassination attempt due to ooc behavior and pis

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    are you certain of this:

coates shows tchalla being praised, practically worshipped by an intergalactic community that includes possible millions of people and even defeating memphisto (one of the things fans here have trumpeted), yet there is complaints about what his name translates to which ties to stories told before coates came on the scene? If it was more evident it's clear now, this man could write him saving the universe 100x over and i think some would still find something to critique because it is Coates writing him.
    First off. People get credit where credit is due. If you read anything and knew how this thread operated, when Coates did Tchalla right on the handful of issues he bothered to care, people awknowleged that. So you can miss me and every other poster with that mess because it's a BS excuse people use when they don't have an argument.

Second off. Poor butterfly, that is Evans Rise series. Marvel stupidly put coates name ahead of Evans even though he was merely a consultant and it was something Evans had to fight in every interview.

Please actually be aware of where Stuff comes from before making yourself look silly with misinformation and poor accusations
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 08-20-2018 at 06:22 PM.