Page 13 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Sadly, movie sales don't have any effect on comic book sales.
    No it doesn't have a huge effect. BUT Coogler as a boy fell in love with BP Bd it shows in his movie. Little black boys and girls need positive image's of themselves, and its clear by the movies success there is a hunger. Give him his own office. Make more BP cartoons on going, kids comics, merch, etc etc. Everywhere else Tchalla is getting the attention he deserves except comic division

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I hear ya Redjack I really do. But a HUGE red flag is how Coates went about the interviews hyping the book. Every interview was "I don't Like this" and "I don't understand that" "if there so advanced why do they use a monarch" "I can't see a man not taking advantage of having all female body guards around him all the time" I'm paraphrasing a little but those were the things he actually said. As well as "Priest and Hudlin always showed him as awesome awesome awesome ( they didn't they showed him down and beaten too, but He was still shown as a dangerous individual) so I'm going to show a more human version"

He used there runs as excuses to not show case Tchalla as... Well competent at all even though Hudlins run endedn8 years prior to that and Priest even longer and Tchalla has had literally 8 years of deconstruction before Coates came along. If you told me nthat his version was an out of continuity, literally just became King after having virtually no experience in ruling a nation, i would believe it because that's how far off the mark Coates hit.

Maybe there wasn't "Malice" but it was painfully clear that he didn't care for the character. It took something like 4 interviews for him to say something he liked about T'Challa and even then it was weighed down by I don't like this. He proved this IP isn't in his wheelhouse and that afrofuturism isn't what he is very interested in doing.

As for your version. I see it this way. Priest, Hudlin, McDuffie, Liss. I don't love EVERYTHING they did with the character. There are things I wish they never did, however, they proved that Even when Tchalla was at low points, he was still a badass. Contrary to popular belief, a hero can still look badass even when they lose. They can lose in style. So while I'm sure that there would be things I wouldn't like about your version, I can bet the good would outweigh the bad. Hell in that Lexus BP comic you showed a better T'Challa in 12 pages then what was shown in like a year and a half
    Well.

All I can say is I've always tried to do my best by T'Challa and Shuri and the rest. I think my fellow Panther scribes would all say the same. As a fan I thought Namor and Doom breaking Wakanda were both terrible stories but we're stuck with them now. Just as we're stuck with Namor being allowed to live after what he did.

Watch the show. I think you guys will be mostly happy.
    Last edited by Redjack; 08-11-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Yep they are really doing this on twitter.
    *Black Panther drops*

Black Twitter: “We here baby! Finally, a movie for black people!!! Wakanda Foreva!!”

*Any other film ever about black people drops*

Black Twitter: “............................Wakanda Foreva!”
    https://twitter.com/ItsDavery/status...77116686970881

Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 08-11-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Let's just say that the plot details of the comic are less important than the existence and GENERAL popularity of the comic.
    Says it all, really. And that's really disappointing to me as a writer.

There's an old Latin phrase, often inaccurately attributed to Caligula:

Oderint dum metuant: "Let them hate, so long as they fear."

In modern comics, a more accurate saying might be: "Let them hate, so long as they buy."

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Maybe not out loud......
    Really though, what fictional nations aren't regularly broken down semi-regularly at this point? Asgard, Atlantis, Attilan, Latveria… in comics it's just sort of become a thing.

I think it's overdone myself, but point being I don't think the motivation is necessarily as malicious as some might think.

i wish i could respond to this in a more explicit and fact-filled way but I'm not allowed to discuss any of the real inner workings. Contracts.

Let's just say that the plot details of the comic are less important than the existence and GENERAL popularity of the comic. No one is sitting down saying "Let's break Wakanda because them damned Africans are too strong." We should always assume everyone is trying their best to put out something great, without malice. They might fail (being human, of course they will be failing someone pretty much all of the time.).

I think there's room for Coates' version of the Panther. It's not my version but, like I said, if I'd got the book, some of you guys would be really mad at me too. Like REALLY mad (evil laugh).
    Given your experience, would you say there is a market in America for the Shonen model? By that I mean independent writers putting original stories in one magazine. Maybe Mavel and DC doing the same with their characters that don't sell very well?

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Given your experience, would you say there is a market in America for the Shonen model? By that I mean independent writers putting original stories in one magazine. Maybe Mavel and DC doing the same with their characters that don't sell very well?
    Marvel sort of did that with Marvel comics presents back in the day.

Well.

All I can say is I've always tried to do my best by T'Challa and Shuri and the rest. I think my fellow Panther scribes would all say the same. As a fan I thought Namor and Doom breaking Wakanda were both terrible stories but we're stuck with them now. Just was we're stuck with Namor being allowed to live after what he did.

Watch the show. I think you guys will be mostly happy.
    You tried to do your best and would take the Characters aspects and personality and Characteristics and apply thst to the story and how they would behave and react to situations based on established characterizations.
    Not change how a character behaves and reacts to fit the narrative. Tchalla not getting back at Doom and Namor (and worse, Tchalla thanking Doom for teaching him and Wakanda a lesson) were the biggest insults to the character. Changing how a character behaves to fit your story is self serving.

I just have a hard time seeing Coates doing what you do in your stories because he has changed things multiple times to fit his story and alot of it doesn't even makes sense to the point even casual were saying "what the hell"

But I'm not trying to rant. I just personally see it that your take would of been morrnin line with her Black Panther enthusiast would want to read. As they are the ones that will stick through log past the initial hype and new shiny comic smell wore off

Anthology books never sell, AFAIK, and it's highly unlikely that Marvel or DC would be willing to use the cheaper newsprint Japanese magazines use to keep costs down, when their audience is used to comics of a certain paper quality. And if they tried to do an anthology with the higher-quality paper, the price point would be so high, nobody would buy it.

I suppose a digital anthology, like Viz's SHONEN JUMP, would work, but you'd still have to overcome the anthology stigma, and they wouldn't be reflected on Diamond's charts.

(And you'd still have the price problem. Right now, the average price for a new digital monthly comic is $2-4 for a traditional 22-page comic. Meanwhile, SJ has around 200 pages, and sells for .99¢ a week! Less, if you subscribe).

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post

People championed BP because it showcased Black excellence fully realized and shattered all the excuses Hollywood made about Black starred films with mostly all black cast. And why do people have this damn notion of trying to still pit black movies against each other like in the post.. it's stupid

frankly, no.

aside from anthos about social issues indie jam books do not work. too many people have tried it and failed for this not to be a Law.

I DO think it could work for the Big Two but it would require them changing their business model pretty radically which i don't think is going to happen.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Thanks for that. I've been posting on CBR since LONG before any success so it's hard for me to truly participate in forums the way i like to now that I live backstage.

Let me say this- these corporations have plans that go years out. Long before they're offering anybody jobs to write something. When i found out David was in the running I assumed I was out. Neither of us even knew Coates was in the mix until the announcement. I can see how the company thought he was the right bet- huge media attention, a freaking pulitzer, finger tapping the blackgeist (my word) HARD.

Yeah, his Panther take is a discussion of real world Africa with Wakanda as a proxy and that's going to ruffle a lot of feathers because Wakanda's supposed to be Black Asgard.

But the company wanted that take. It's not like he lied to them about what his plan was. And it's not poorly written. It's just WAY off what a lot of folks expected from a Panther book. I pitched two entirely different takes and I'm betting Walker did as well. I really thought David would be the one.

The way i look at it is we got Movie Panther, Comics Panther and soon, Toon Panther. Between us, every fan should find something to love.

(And, yeah. I think everybody's going to love toon Panther.)

Minor correction: certain parts of Africa

But thanks for these insights into the profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post

Further proof that Twiter is a social media platform that is occupied with a cesspool of idiots.

People will go lengths to talk down on BP. Reminds me of the Cyborg vs BP debates back in November last year.

Marvel will have to step up their game for the next movie to keep shutting these people up.
    Last edited by Dboi654; 08-11-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Just got done putting together this video analyzing how the Black Panther movie handles some sociology and political elements. Give it a watch?
    Thanks. Wakanda is a very interesting place- separatists, Pan Africanists, traditionalists and kumbayaists (made up word). Coogler and co. did well to combine all those elements in the script. Hopefully in BP2 we may see if the rise of Wakanda's soft power will get opposition from the other world powers and how that will play out.
    Last edited by LastManStanding; 08-11-2018 at 12:30 PM.