Page 327 of 357 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331337 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,905 of 5350
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Everything related to visuals looks great in Aquaman. CGI, action choreography, stunts, costumes. Everything. I haven't seen anything that necessarily better than Black Panther (well maybe the effects but I think Atlantis and Wakanda are both beautifully rendered and created), but they are great.

But truthfully, Black Panther wasn't just about visuals. That was a very well acted, well written, expertly directed, and pretty thought-provoking film that inspired discourse on a topic that isn't typically ingrained in the superhero genre. That's what makes Black Panther a special film.

Aquaman on the other hand, is not that (from what I have read). If anyone wants to compare it to Black Panther, they can only do so on a visual, conceptual and story level (and they can't really on that last one). Aquaman is basically the James Cameron's Avatar of superhero movies. Great effects, pretty cool action, but extremely shallow and really cheesy.

I think people will soon see comparing the two movies isn't going to end well for Aquaman (though based on China numbers it might do very well at the box office).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I''m just happy for kids these days. Look at all the great movies and shows in 2018
    traded climate destruction for epic games, movies, and cartoons

fair? lol??

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The costumes do look kind of amazing though .
    This is true.

I actually like aquaman the character (as much as I can like DC anyway) so I am looking forward to it. And if it is everything people gushed aout from 10 minutes of trailers then... win win for me!

I've had fears from the very first casting choice though so I am keeping my expectations luke warm right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Everything related to visuals looks great in Aquaman. CGI, action choreography, stunts, costumes. Everything. I haven't seen anything that necessarily better than Black Panther (well maybe the effects but I think Atlantis and Wakanda are both beautifully rendered and created), but they are great.

Aquaman on the other hand, is not that (from what I have read).
    How do you know those things if you haven't seen it lol?

Are you going to the Amazon showings tonight?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It's for Kelly Sue DeConnick's run. Sales weren't spectacular, but it got a strong following and lots of critical acclaim.

The Panther's Prey issues were pretty convenient to get. They're perfect bound so they fit on a bookshelf and they weren't all that pricey. Compared to things like Panther's Quest that was spread over something like 25 issues or Panther's Rage, which at the time I first got it, was available in black and white for $50 or Masterworks for well over $100, it was very cheap. I have Volume 2 in individual issues in a longbox but those won't fit on my bookshelf. As I said before, I have the Essential Black Panther black and white collection, which has the Kirby stuff, but I'm leaving it off my bookshelf for now.
    Well, as much as I hate it, Coates sales were spectacular, it had a larger following, and lots of critical acclaim

But, I am just being nitpicky on something that really doesn't matter because I am a fanboy. Put BP more in the forefront in the cover he is on (and not behind freaking black bolt come on) and i'd allow it.

I have to decide if I am going to buy that complete collection with Gillis mini or not. Kinda lot of money for the only 4 issues I want but I really like the story and really don't wanna buy the floppies so... *shrug* maybe i'll find it in a discount bin like the Panthers Rage TPB and make the decision easy

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post

It's why the BP cartoon is very important. Would've been better if it were around the Saturday morning cartoon era. I don't know if kids watch cartoons these days but us muthafuckas had to wait patiently for Saturday and we be damned if we overslept!
    Yeah, I used to wake up my younger brother (who slept in more than me) so we wouldn't miss Yugioh or Pokemon saturday mornings lol. Aint no way I was gonna miss Pegasus vs Yugi Part 4 or some shit. Take a whole month to finish that duel!

My moms used to record power rangers for us because we weren't home in time to catch every episode because of sports.

I have a 3 and 6 year old and I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooo many Paw Patrol and PJ Mask toys in my house and under the Xmas tree because of cartoons.

We also have too many super hero toys but that is a distant 4th on the list (behind hot wheel cars) just because of the lack of Marvel super hero cartoons on Netflix. The oldest likes the Marvel lego mini movies but that is just about it.

Hopefully Disney Play will rectify that situation lol. We don't have cable (I have to buy the amazon shows to watch BP) and even when we go out of town and there is cable they can't stand all the commercials because they grew up without it.

edit:

diarreah of the mouth please ignore
    Last edited by Jabare; 12-15-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

But truthfully, Black Panther wasn't just about visuals. That was a very well acted, well written, expertly directed, and pretty thought-provoking film that inspired discourse on a topic that isn't typically ingrained in the superhero genre. That's what makes Black Panther a special film.

Aquaman on the other hand, is not that (from what I have read). If anyone wants to compare it to Black Panther, they can only do so on a visual, conceptual and story level (and they can't really on that last one). Aquaman is basically the James Cameron's Avatar of superhero movies. Great effects, pretty cool action, but extremely shallow and really cheesy.

I think people will soon see comparing the two movies isn't going to end well for Aquaman (though based on China numbers it might do very well at the box office).
    Not to sound like a marvel fanboy, but comparisons in general between DC and Marvel movies in recent years haven't been all that favorable to DC. At this point, Aquaman merely not sucking will be a huge win ... comparing that to a billion dollar movie isn't even fair.

Aquaman is a very straightforward film what you see is what you get but they pack a lot in. Honestly I think they could have trimmed it little bit to help with he pacing.

Honestly the CGI and action is very different when compared to BP. I wouldn't even compare the two. Aquamans CGI is just in your face throughout the film and it has to be for the climax to the vast majority of the action scenes. BP in comparison is a little more grounded outside of 3 to 4 instances you could believe the sets were real, backgrounds and a few other elements. Aquaman doesn't do that but its fine. It doesn't really take away from the film. In this day and age I think its pretty silly to walk into the theaters and complain about CGI especially if you've seen the trailers and know what you're getting into.

Tonally the movie shifts back and forth in a few spots and that might not work for everyone. Overall I thought the film was fine. I think peoples predisposition will impact how they view this movie. How they feel about the DCEU, their hopes for the film, their stance on the character etc. You lean too far one way or the other and it'll probably impact how you take this film. You could argue there is some cheese in this film but it owns it and I mean this is a superhero flick what do you expect. If you want to compare it to a Marvel film I think you need to compare it to a phase 1 Marvel film.
    The J-man

TBF, My over the top slightly facetious posts were only aimed at the crowd judging the movie off of a few trailers and going, "I wish BP was like this! This CGI is flawless!"

I'm more worried about Jason and Amber carrying a movie than I am on how realistic enhanced beings fighting underwater while riding cgi monsters look lol.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'm badly behind in Panther's Quest, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I like the change to Hunter. Making him a younger brother adds a different dynamic that works well.

I don't like how western M'Baku is, but the power suit is a nice way to bring new and old. My complaint is just that his ethos seems very different, which makes him more generic.

I don't like the redesign of Baron Zemo (specifically his mask), but I love the character. I've been a fan of the character (in the animated world) since Earth's Mightiest Heroes and he works really well in an ambiguous anti-hero role.

Princess Zanda's changes to add superpowers was unexpected. However, I like that the core of the character is still there.

Watching T'Challa Royale now. As a fan of the old McGregor stories, I like seeing T'Challa's suit depowered and seeing him as an effective fighter nonetheless.

Obviously, the change to Killmonger is dramatic, but his mentor role is a good one. Is there any character in the comics as an analogue? Seems like a good idea for the future.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I'm badly behind in Panther's Quest, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I like the change to Hunter. Making him a younger brother adds a different dynamic that works well.

I don't like how western M'Baku is, but the power suit is a nice way to bring new and old. My complaint is just that his ethos seems very different, which makes him more generic.

I don't like the redesign of Baron Zemo (specifically his mask), but I love the character. I've been a fan of the character (in the animated world) since Earth's Mightiest Heroes and he works really well in an ambiguous anti-hero role.

Princess Zanda's changes to add superpowers was unexpected. However, I like that the core of the character is still there.

Watching T'Challa Royale now. As a fan of the old McGregor stories, I like seeing T'Challa's suit depowered and seeing him as an effective fighter nonetheless.

Obviously, the change to Killmonger is dramatic, but his mentor role is a good one. Is there any character in the comics as an analogue? Seems like a good idea for the future.
    I suppose in the comics they could sort of push the idea that Hunter was a mentor to T'Challa when he was younger, given that he is the older step brother. It can sort of be like how Priest pushed the angle that M'Baku and T'Challa were best buddies back in the day... it fleshed out their relationship a bit more.

Probably easier to sell that angle with Shuri and Hunter, given their relationship is more a blank slate. And in some way Shuri might be more similar to Hunter than T'Challa.

I suppose Zuri could fit the role of a mentor, especially if they moved away from the whole "Brian Blessed" portrayal into something more MCU-like.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Sure, but I'm thinking of having it be a character who ends up as a villain like the show. White Wolf could work, but he has a lot of other things going for him so it's not strictly necessary.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    TBF, My over the top slightly facetious posts were only aimed at the crowd judging the movie off of a few trailers and going, "I wish BP was like this! This CGI is flawless!"

I'm more worried about Jason and Amber carrying a movie than I am on how realistic enhanced beings fighting underwater while riding cgi monsters look lol.
    Maaan, fukk Aquaman. Movie trash

(I haven't seen it tho)

Alive? No.

Zuri obviously seem to have the mentor/warrior teacher thing going on but if they turned him bad, i'd riot.

Seems like an easy way to add a villain in the future and retcon the mentor/combat angle in. Wouldn't be hard and wouldn't really disrupt any of the canon. Not like we've seen a lot of T'challa's child/teenage years anyway.

Sure, but I'm thinking of having it be a character who ends up as a villain like the show. White Wolf could work, but he has a lot of other things going for him so it's not strictly necessary.
    In that case, I could see M'Baku fulfilling a sort of Big Brother role to the young T'Challa, transitioning to a more equal friendship as he matured, before souring completely due to political/religious differences.

(For some reason, he always "read" as older than Panther to me. Might simply be his size.)