4. BP Annual
    5. BP &Crew
    6. Long Live King 3/4
    7. Long Live 1/2/5
    8. Soul of Machine
    9. Wakanda Forever
    10. WoW #1-5
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

CBR is reporting that Marvel/Disney are pushing for an Academy Award Best Pic nom for Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    So, how are we ranking this Black Panther spin offs so far in this monkey paw era? We got:

- WoW #1-5
    - WoW #6 (kasper story)
    - Love Live the King #1, 2, 5
    - Love Live the King #3, 4
    - Black Panther and the Crew
    - Rise of the Black Panther
    - Wakanda Forever
    - Black Panther: The Sound of the Fury #1
    - Black Panther: Soul of the Machine
    - Black Panther Annual #1

It will provide entertainment in here FOR WEEKS

Rise
    Bp Annual
    Sound of fury
    BP WoW 6
    Soul
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    BP Crew
    Long live
    >
    >
    >
    >
    BP WoW 1-5
    Wakanda forever

1.Rise
    2 Annual ( off the strength of RH short story)
    3. Soul
    4.Wow 6

Wack ish & or bland
    5.Fury
    6.Love live 125
    7.Crew
    8.long live 24

Trash hot garbage
    9. Wack forever
    10. Wow 1-5

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Malice is a rather important figure in the mythos IMO. She points to a failure of T'challa, the Dora system, and Wakanda.

She's not an evil villain. Just a misguided girl who got twisted into something else by an enemy of T'challa and then ressurrected by another enemy of T'challa.

Everything about her revolves around T'challa... the good and the bad.

To simply kill her off with T'challa barely involved over a magical drum is just... it is ridiculous IMO. Even more ridiculous when ugly Nakia's personality and how she acted in this arc didn't even feel like the same character. Her master plan of "go to NY and cuz damage so T'challa appears" makes no GD sense.

It just seemed like this whole mini existed to put Malice out there, completely change her so she is NOTHING like the popular movie Nakia (no martial arts skills, no spy skills, ugly as hell), and then kill her off so no one speaks of her again.

If you were going to kill off Malice, it should have been in a way that redeems her in T'challa and Wakanda's eyes. She is the Dora that got away. The Lost Dora. She didn't redeem **** in this issue. The problem was one she created. The death had no weight to it. Her death should have gutted T'challa and made him proud at the same time.

Also, putting Spider-Man, the X-men, and the Avengers in this book literally had nothing to do with the plot. Leaving them out would have resulted in the exact same story. They were shoe horned in just trying to get some sales for a book that no one wanted. Plot wise, they were worthless to the story.
    Nice euology

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    Yo. I'm new to the BP fandom. just finished reading all the BP stories I could find, starting with Priest all the way to Coates and everything in between. I actually really enjoyed Nnedi's stuff and I'm wondering what bothered you most (story wise) about this? I get the art stuff you mentioned, but in terms of story, what didn't work for you? (not sure how the etiquette works on these threads but I guess anyone that didn't like it can chime in too?)
    Welcome to the thread BTW

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    CBR is reporting that Marvel/Disney are pushing for an Academy Award Best Pic nom for Black Panther.
    I saw that, and, as much as I enjoyed the movie, it isn't Best Picture quality. Neither was Wonder Woman last year. Logan absolutely was, but not Black Panther.

It may get nominated for that new popular movie award* but not for Best Picture.

*The new popular movie category will only serve to ghetto-ize superhero and other popular films like animated features were after Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture 25+ years ago, which really pisses me off. It's like a half-measure by the Academy. "Here, you sweaty nerds can have your own category because you're not coming into our territory." *Insert tongue clucking sound*
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Logan absolutely was, but not Black Panther.
    What about Logan made it best picture worthy but not BP?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

What about Logan made it best picture worthy but not BP?
    While both Logan and Black Panther had something to say, which is what I appreciate about both films, Logan felt truly unique within the genre. It took risks with its setting, storytelling, the whole nine, and it paid off like gangbusters. No one else could have made Logan but that cast and crew.

Black Panther, as good as it was, felt like another Marvel movie. Don't get me wrong: it's one of the best MCU movies, without a doubt (only Infinity War and Winter Soldier are in its league, if you ask me), but it didn't really push the envelope or try anything too radical or different. I feel like you could replace Ryan Coogler as director, and 90+% of that movie would be the same. Again, I love the movie: it just doesn't do enough to make it Best Picture to me.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

While both Logan and Black Panther had something to say, which is what I appreciate about both films, Logan felt truly unique within the genre. It took risks with its setting, storytelling, the whole nine, and it paid off like gangbusters. No one else could have made Logan but that cast and crew.

Black Panther, as good as it was, felt like another Marvel movie. Don't get me wrong: it's one of the best MCU movies, without a doubt (only Infinity War and Winter Soldier are in its league, if you ask me), but it didn't really push the envelope or try anything too radical or different. I feel like you could replace Ryan Coogler as director, and 90+% of that movie would be the same. Again, I love the movie: it just doesn't do enough to make it Best Picture to me.
    What did Logan say to you exactly?

By the way, I'm honestly asking. Just curious.

Logan or The Dark Knight were never going to win best picture. This is the Oscar, for films like these to win they’d have to be for costume, special effects or cinematography.

Recently people on message boards have been going on about it. I enjoyed both of those films but they don’t fit Oscar best picture films. Nor are they perfect films most superhero films aren’t.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Going back to me and BLind's discussion about Logan....its really just aesthetic.

Black Panther looking more like its concept art would have "transcended" its genre instead of visually looking like other Marvel films.

There are times Logan actually reminds me of The Wolverine (I know same director) but just edgier and with more prestige camerawork. I don't think the quality of Logan is greater than BP. Its just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Logan or The Dark Knight were never going to win best picture. This is the Oscar, for films like these to win they’d have to be for costume, special effects or cinematography.

Recently people on message boards have been going on about it. I enjoyed both of those films but they don’t fit Oscar best picture films. Nor are they perfect films most superhero films aren’t.
    Whole system is just outdated period.

Don't need an award show to tell you about movies lol. You can find out how much they suck 20 minutes after they are released for goodness sake.

BANNED

I used to have respect for Nnedi O, just off of the strength of her literary work.

Unfortunately, much like Coates, she's proven to be just be another neophyte to the comic book writing world, who has ZERO respect for continuity, characterisation or established in universe history that proper research would have furnished either one of these overly arrogant and tone deaf scribes with the necessary foundation from which to deliver genuinely interesting and ground breaking material.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Just as my last post...Logan felt VERY MUCH like its previous film but improved craft and seriousness.

I disagree that 90% of the movie would have been the same because there's a through-line that only Coogler could have brought. The Killmonger character in itself is a representation of Ryan. The non code switching, highly intelligent guy from Oakland who is trying to find himself in the world.

Also Ryan Coogler's Creed is a BETTER version of dealing with old age + having a young disciple than Logan.

I have been in many arguments on this forum about not going all the way with Ryan's vision. However, to say 90% of the film would have been with a different director is false. Because despite not being 100% a Ryan Coogler film he had more control than any Marvel director.

There is so much below the surface with Black Panther that a lot of people have missed out on.