Page 54 of 357 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Just as my last post...Logan felt VERY MUCH like its previous film but improved craft and seriousness.

I disagree that 90% of the movie would have been the same because there's a through-line that only Coogler could have brought. The Killmonger character in itself is a representation of Ryan. The non code switching, highly intelligent guy from Oakland who is trying to find himself in the world.

Also Ryan Coogler's Creed is a BETTER version of dealing with old age + having a young disciple than Logan.

I have been in many arguments on this forum about not going all the way with Ryan's vision. However, to say 90% of the film would have been with a different director is false. Because despite not being 100% a Ryan Coogler film he had more control than any Marvel director.

There is so much below the surface with Black Panther that a lot of people have missed out on.
    Agreed 100%.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    While both Logan and Black Panther had something to say, which is what I appreciate about both films, Logan felt truly unique within the genre. It took risks with its setting, storytelling, the whole nine, and it paid off like gangbusters. No one else could have made Logan but that cast and crew.

Black Panther, as good as it was, felt like another Marvel movie. Don't get me wrong: it's one of the best MCU movies, without a doubt (only Infinity War and Winter Soldier are in its league, if you ask me), but it didn't really push the envelope or try anything too radical or different. I feel like you could replace Ryan Coogler as director, and 90+% of that movie would be the same. Again, I love the movie: it just doesn't do enough to make it Best Picture to me.
    Logan is 100% not unique. It's generic. Logan is The Last Of Us and The Road with superhero paint on it. It had nothing new to say. Replace Ryan Coogler with anyone and the film would be as generic as Antman and Doctor Stranger.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

This came to mind:

Logan and Black Panther were in two different lanes. 2018 is the year of the Black Panther for the universal impact that it made . The "a father who has not prepared his children" line, "the I am your king now!" scene, " the Nakia vs Okoye ideology clash" scene, and you can go on and on as why it is worthy of the Best Picture honor in the US.
    Last edited by LastManStanding; 08-24-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    Logan is 100% not unique. It's generic. Logan is The Last Of Us and The Road with superhero paint on it. It had nothing new to say. Replace Ryan Coogler with anyone and the film would be as generic as Antman and Doctor Stranger.
    woah woah woah. The Road is better than Logan. No offense to my comic book brethren but The Road was intense. Have y'all read that book... talk about daaaaaaark.

Logan is a good film it suffers from a little overhype from people who ignore a few of the films shortcomings, but end of the day its still a good film. It's different from most of the mainstream superhero movies, like Hancock was. So for those who live off superhero movies it stands out a little more.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    So, how are we ranking this Black Panther spin offs so far in this monkey paw era?
    My ranking:

- Black Panther Annual #1
    - WoW #6 (kasper story)
    - Rise of the Black Panther
    - Black Panther and the Crew
    - WoW #1-5 (Provided I'm allowed to judge it based on the first issue, even then I'd like to divide the primary story from the backup that I thought was at least better).

Didn't read the rest, although I do think I'll feel compelled to check it out for free on Marvel Unlimited.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Aside from the dumb stuff in the preview I thought the latest issue was pretty good. These three issues have been MUCH better than all of "season" one and two. Like I said before, Coates should have just led with this.

If I wasn't such an OCD nerd about having complete collections I'd just skip season one and have this follow Secret Wars.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

- Rise of the Black Panther
    - WoW #6 (kasper story)
    - Black Panther: Soul of the Machine
    - Black Panther: The Sound of the Fury #1
    - Love Live the King #3, 4
    - Black Panther and the Crew
    - Love Live the King #1, 2, 5
    - Wakanda Forever
    - WoW #1-5
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

oh season 1 is not going in my collection. No way no how. And I still need to see more from this current arc before I bless it. Coates gonna have to stick this landing. This is still an Elseworld as long as I'm concerned
    The J-man

While both Logan and Black Panther had something to say, which is what I appreciate about both films, Logan felt truly unique within the genre. It took risks with its setting, storytelling, the whole nine, and it paid off like gangbusters. No one else could have made Logan but that cast and crew.

Black Panther, as good as it was, felt like another Marvel movie. Don't get me wrong: it's one of the best MCU movies, without a doubt (only Infinity War and Winter Soldier are in its league, if you ask me), but it didn't really push the envelope or try anything too radical or different. I feel like you could replace Ryan Coogler as director, and 90+% of that movie would be the same. Again, I love the movie: it just doesn't do enough to make it Best Picture to me.
    Everything you said about Logan, BP did. most of the time BP didn't feel like a MCU superhero movie. It completely pushed the envelope and talked nationalism the black struggle, Black excellence and did so on a way that no other director could of done it. There is a reason why it took marvel a while and them being picky about who they wanted. To say that it wouldn't of changed big a different director was in charge severely undercuts just how much Time and effort Coogler put into the movie. BP wasn't a sure fire 1.3 bill WW, 700 mil domestic grossing movie. Coogler, Cole T'chadwick abd Co made it happen by the dedication and hard work they put in to make the movie special
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 08-23-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I used to have respect for Nnedi O, just off of the strength of her literary work.

Unfortunately, much like Coates, she's proven to be just be another neophyte to the comic book writing world, who has ZERO respect for continuity, characterisation or established in universe history that proper research would have furnished either one of these overly arrogant and tone deaf scribes with the necessary foundation from which to deliver genuinely interesting and ground breaking material.
    it's all about the drive. Evans is also a neophytes yet his story was easily the best of everyone since coates came in. If you do your Damn homework and actually respect/ appreciate the character, your stories will resonate with most fans
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 08-23-2018 at 05:29 PM.

I saw that, and, as much as I enjoyed the movie, it isn't Best Picture quality. Neither was Wonder Woman last year. Logan absolutely was, but not Black Panther.

It may get nominated for that new popular movie award* but not for Best Picture.

*The new popular movie category will only serve to ghetto-ize superhero and other popular films like animated features were after Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture 25+ years ago, which really pisses me off. It's like a half-measure by the Academy. "Here, you sweaty nerds can have your own category because you're not coming into our territory." *Insert tongue clucking sound*
    As much as I loved Black Panther, Logan, and Wonder Woman I'm not entirely sure any of them realistically should win best picture.

I do think Black Panther should be a serious serious contender for costumes music though.

Best Picture for an Oscar really only considers a specific type of film.

Awards are getting a little silly now because there are so many films that aren't even acknowledge with all the different platforms and films being pumped out these days compared to decades ago.
    The J-man

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

For me of the ones I read it would be the following:
    -Black Panther and the Crew
    -Rise of the Panther
    - WoW #1-5
    -Wakanda Forever

I was extremely disappointed with Wakanda Forever. I'm hoping the Shuri book reads much better than WF as if it doesnt I will pass on it.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    So... what happens if/when T'challa kisses cosmicNakia before he gets his memories back.....
    other than nakia heart being broken when he leaves her after regaining his memory and returning to the goddess he has waiting for him when he gets home? nothing... oh and then nuNakia turns to nuMalice.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...ic-novels-2018

Best Comics and Graphic Novels of 2018 so far. Black panther makes the list!!!
    Black Panther

Release date: May 23 (ongoing)
    Ta-Nehisi Coates is not here for the bullsh*t. His unparalleled take on Black Panther could have been a charming, Ragnarok-like pivot from his work on A Nation Under Our Feet and Avengers Of The New World, but instead it’s a cinematic push into the idea that Wakanda has become an intergalactic empire in its own right. It’s intimate, provoking, action-packed, wildly disorientating, and an unchained, hyper-stylized dip into science fiction. If Coates isn’t catching you off guard with his distinctive wordplay and hidden themes, then you’re probably still obsessing over Daniel Acuna’s visuals and the way he uses color to set moods and style spacescapes that feel out of this world. There are levels to the duo’s chemistry and with it being an incomparable force, their narrative is the perfect jumping on point for anyone who needs a little more Panther in their life.