Page 56 of 357 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yes, an idea can be intimate and though provoking. And that's the point. That's exactly what Coates accomplished in his writing. He took the idea and made it intimate and thought provoking and action packed (or at least in the opinion of this reviewer). Those are descriptions of the execution of the idea. In other words, the writing.
    Then describe what parts of the story fit that criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Then describe what parts of the story fit that criteria.
    I didn't write the review. If you disagree with their description of Coates writing being intimate, thought provoking and action packed feel free to ask that guy to defend their opinon. All I'm saying is the review was CLEARLY complimenting Coates

So I was watching Infinity War again and something was bugging me about the Battle of Wakanda. So I went back to the comics and read, perhaps my favorite battle in Wakanda, "See Wakanda and Die" and I realized what wasn't sitting right with me. How's T'challa going to send his army to war with nothing more than a chant. Is it just me or would it have been so much better if we got a Brave Heart style speech like this. If they inter-cut a couple of shots of Wakandans actually evacuating the city, going into bomb shelters etc, it could also show us whats at stake if they lose and create a Helm's Deep sorta feel. I dunno, i just think it felt a little rushed at that point. But then again, things were moving pretty fast when they got to Wakanda so maybe it would have messed up the pacing. What do you guys think?
    RCO004_1469636023.jpgRCO005_1469636023.jpg
    Last edited by Pumbaa; 08-24-2018 at 12:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    chile.. goddess.. lol

the first two sentences are about coates' writing and why it's good. it then goes into the art. I know you ain't feeling coates but you can't spin this one my friend.
    The reviewer is entitled to his or her opinion. Has no bearing on how actual readers familiar with the BP Mythos Pre- oates crap choose to perceive the same same sub standard material.

BANNED

please, thank you.. I just couldnt lol..

an idea is not going to get a book listed as one of the top comics of 2018. you have to deliver beloved, and this is something coates is continuing to do.
    In your opinion.

Perhaps it's time to remind you folks of some of the rules I crafted when I helped run the BP board for Comicboards.com, back in the day:

RULE 1 - Just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn't mean they are wrong.

RULE 2 - Just because someone agrees with you, that doesn't mean you are right.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cville View Post
    not the writing. The idea/setup is what the reviewer is talking about in my opinion. The only thing mentioned about writing is wordplay and hidden themes. Deeply hidden at that. Lol

and issue three is transformers the animated movie attack on autobot city.
    thank you!
    Last edited by LastManStanding; 08-24-2018 at 08:24 AM.

I've enjoyed this latest effort for the most part, but let's not pretend Coates is using deft and subtle writing.

LOL. "Hidden Themes".

Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    So I was watching Infinity War again and something was bugging me about the Battle of Wakanda. So I went back to the comics and read, perhaps my favorite battle in Wakanda, "See Wakanda and Die" and I realized what wasn't sitting right with me. How's T'challa going to send his army to war with nothing more than a chant. Is it just me or would it have been so much better if we got a Brave Heart style speech like this. If they inter-cut a couple of shots of Wakandans actually evacuating the city, going into bomb shelters etc, it could also show us whats at stake if they lose and create a Helm's Deep sorta feel. I dunno, i just think it felt a little rushed at that point. But then again, things were moving pretty fast when they got to Wakanda so maybe it would have messed up the pacing. What do you guys think?
    RCO004_1469636023.jpgRCO005_1469636023.jpg
    That would of been cool to have a speech or something, but then at the same time it would of been bad to have this great speech just forbthem to lose.

I think the chant was used to get the same point across. Though i could of gotten another 20-30 seconds of chanting if in being honest.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...ic-novels-2018

Best Comics and Graphic Novels of 2018 so far. Black panther makes the list!!!
    Black Panther

Release date: May 23 (ongoing)
    Ta-Nehisi Coates is not here for the bullsh*t. His unparalleled take on Black Panther could have been a charming, Ragnarok-like pivot from his work on A Nation Under Our Feet and Avengers Of The New World, but instead it’s a cinematic push into the idea that Wakanda has become an intergalactic empire in its own right. It’s intimate, provoking, action-packed, wildly disorientating, and an unchained, hyper-stylized dip into science fiction. If Coates isn’t catching you off guard with his distinctive wordplay and hidden themes, then you’re probably still obsessing over Daniel Acuna’s visuals and the way he uses color to set moods and style spacescapes that feel out of this world. There are levels to the duo’s chemistry and with it being an incomparable force, their narrative is the perfect jumping on point for anyone who needs a little more Panther in their life.
    This paragraph is using a lot of words that aren't needed to fluff it up. For example, lets cut out the bullshit to make it easier to read the actual thoughts lol:

Ta-Nehisi Coates current take on Black Panther is a cinematic push into the idea that Wakanda has become an intergalactic empire. It’s intimate, provoking, action-packed, wildly disorientating, and hyper-stylized dip into science fiction. Coates uses distinctive wordplay and hidden themes and Daniel Acuna’s visuals and the way he uses color to set moods and style spacescapes that feel out of this world. Their narrative is the perfect jumping on point for anyone who needs a little more Panther in their life.

Whew, there that is better. Now we can actually see what he is saying.

IMO, the cinematic nature, action packed, disorienting, hyper stylized science fiction, visuals, color, spacescapse is all Acuna. Not only just because most of that is art, but because it is very very very very different style to to the 30 issues of Coates we have gotten befoer (24 BP, 6 crew). It is nothing like his previous work and nothign like his current Captain America either.

So, to me, it seems easy to assume a lot of that came straight from Acuna. You don't hire Acuna and then not let him be himself. And Acuna has been a god in this book. He deserves every ounce of praise he has gotten so far.

So, that really leaves "intimate, provoking, distinctive worldplay, and hidden themes." And... I'm not sure I agree with much of that. The themes are certainly not hidden, they were in your face from the first preview. The African slave allegory was BLATANT. So blatant that I am not sure I would call it "provoking" yet either. It could get there, but it isn't there yet. He hasn't given us anything ot think about. He is just setting the table that, "yes, this is a slave allegory." Soon, he has to tell us what the MEANING of that is. What is the POINT? Allegories and metaphors don't work to maximum effect unless they tell you something. When that point comes, it has to make you stop reading for a second and go, "hmmm interesting."

Since Coates wheelhouse is race relations and black history stuff... he should be able to do that. Should. But can he do it in a comic setting? He failed that for two years so, we will see.

I don't think the book is that intimiate... its too action packed to be intimate outside of some Storm panels. The word play is definitely Coates. And yeah, it is an easy jumping on point because it's basically an out of continuity alternate reality at this point.

other than nakia heart being broken when he leaves her after regaining his memory and returning to the goddess he has waiting for him when he gets home? nothing... oh and then nuNakia turns to nuMalice.
    You have to admit you are sweating a little. The table is set if that is the direction they wanted to go. The issue with comic nakia was that she was a young villain. That isn't an issue anymore. She gone.

The second issue is that we had no replacemeny... until they went to an alternate dimension future thing where there just happens to be a nakia who is hanging out with T'challa and she is very similar to MCU nakia.

Come on, admit it! You are a tad bit nervous!

Oh and Logan's coming back so.... shits getting interested lol

(and they aren't gonna kill off malice just to replace with another malice. That narratively makes no sense)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    I agree as a BP fan but disagree as a MCU fan.

You could see it as BP sending his army to war with nothing but a chant because that is how loyal his armies were to him and Wakanda. They don't need their courage amped up. They feel they are superior. This wasn't a situation where Wallace was leading his scrubs against a better army, Theoden leading his Rohirrim to certain death, or Aragorn leading the last bit of men to a distraction.

Wakandans thought they could win. Because, why not... they always have.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I would say that break down MoS is pretty on point and my thoughts exactly. The themes are pretty blatant, the word play.. I feel like he is borrowing alot from other comics band the MCU "Every breathe you take is Mercy from me" "the who puts the knife Where it belongs"
    I am glad acuna is doing the action and art right. Honestly this is the type of art and A List artist from the start m someone who can craft sci-fi elements.

The only thought provoking elements I have felt have been "Why does Wakanda have to be shackled by more slave allegories, Boko Haram, and Columbus nonsense"

As for Nakia. It's pretty clear that there is something going on between Tchalla and Nakia. Thst would be the smarter route because Storm ain't permanent bring Nakia back so that Tchalla actually has options.

Finally, how's the Cap book? Worth picking up?

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    What did Logan say to you exactly?

By the way, I'm honestly asking. Just curious.
    Aside from all the fantastic character work with Charles, Laura and, of course, Logan, it was also a huge cautionary tale regarding genetically modified food (corn, in particular) and its potential use to disseminate undisclosed and unwanted into people's bodies*, which was an unexpected yet welcome surprise in a superhero film.

*This idea been bandied about by real-world entities, if not in this exact usage. One idea suggested was creating mosquitoes that are genetically modified to carry certain antibodies that will be transmitted to a person upon being bitten, essentially vaccinating them without their consent. If we're talking about that in the real world, why wouldn't they try to modify food to have X, Y or Z impact on the human genome? Very thought-provoking stuff.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    As much as I loved Black Panther, Logan, and Wonder Woman I'm not entirely sure any of them realistically should win best picture.

I do think Black Panther should be a serious serious contender for costumes music though.
    Did Get Out win Best Picture? No but it was still noteworthy and great that it was nominated.

Getting caught up in winning loses focus on the progress that the academy took it serious. Being named one of the 10 best films of the year is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Aside from all the fantastic character work with Charles, Laura and, of course, Logan, it was also a huge cautionary tale regarding genetically modified food (corn, in particular) and its potential use to disseminate undisclosed and unwanted into people's bodies*, which was an unexpected yet welcome surprise in a superhero film.

*This idea been bandied about by real-world entities, if not in this exact usage. One idea suggested was creating mosquitoes that are genetically modified to carry certain antibodies that will be transmitted to a person upon being bitten, essentially vaccinating them without their consent. If we're talking about that in the real world, why wouldn't they try to modify food to have X, Y or Z impact on the human genome? Very thought-provoking stuff.
    See, I don't see one line during a monologue as thought provoking. It never real dove into it, it was just an explanation why the X gene was gone.

An example of doing ti right would be say, Winter Soldier and how it dealt with, "trading freedom for protection" as that was a more core element to the movie.

Or... Black Panther. Which had various themes going at once, including one incredibly central to the plot, "should a rich prosperous nation help anyone." I thoguuht Cooglers ability to weave themes into the context of a superhero movie to be near perfection.

Logan, IMO, was just a very well done super hero movie.. in plot (except for the farmer pit stop), action, how it was shot, the asthetic, character work, ect. I thought BP had all those things as well... but also brought a little extra to the table.

(Logan was a billion times better than WW, I don't even know why WW is in the discussion lol. end ruined the whole theme of that movie)