Page 65 of 357 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post

TChalla visits an old enemy to discuss how to take on a new challenger.
    Naw, F that. T'challa can figure it out himself or talk to a centuries worth of Black Panthers and Warriors.

Don't need him running to the dude he just stabbed for help lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Against the grain casting choice for Achebe..John David Washington

My top 3 choices so far

If they go for a big time actor though

image not showing, but Eddie Murphy
    [img]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*rsyA0-OkwiMoRQACC2UaCg.png[/img]
    My pick for Achebe.

His acting in American Gods had presence. Just have him practice the African accent and he is set to go.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    I'm not sure Achebe would be the best pick for a sequel. Then again unless they can work out Namor or Kraven rights, I'm not sure who else would be compelling enough they could pick. One of the reasons I thought putting both of T'Challa's biggest adversaries in the first film wasn't the greatest idea.

Achebe's definitely going to need a co-baddie who can go toe-to-toe physically with T'Challa.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Kraven is just a side boss. He is a "Batroc" type person. He would be an assassin sent to kill T'challa while he is overseas. Not having him isn't really a loss honestly. I'm sure there are a dozen mercenary types the MCU could use. Probably could find some even in the BP mythos like Death Tiger.

They have the rights to Namor. It is like Hulk... they just can't do a solo film without sharing. If they wanted to do a war with Atlantis, they could.

MEPHISTO

SOLOMON PREY

But coming up with "muscle" is easy. The MCU could take any of T'challa's non-updated baddies and simply make them muscle and keep the name. They aren't beholden to decades of bad writing and neglect. If they want to make Baron a martial arts sorcerer combo... they will. If they want to take Madam Slay and make her a badass... they will.
    I actually don't think this is necessary at all. I think we've come to expect this way too much with comic book movies, especially MCU ones. Not that it doesn't lead to great fight scenes and I don't enjoy it, but it'll be a nice change of pace both for BP and the MCU if he's solely challenged intellectually, morally, politically, and ideologically. Killmonger was most of those things (which is what actually makes him a great villain) but he also had that physical aspect which makes him like every other MCU villain (again not exactly a bad thing).

I think having one villain like Achebe who's smart, driven, and crazy will force Coogler and Robert Cole (if he returns for the sequel) to be a lot more creative with the script. Nolan was able to do this with the Joker and it worked. Perhaps if because T'Challa is so physically capable, Achebe can use his enhanced senses as a weakness with technology? That's about it really, but I want a villain that challenges T'Challa aside from the physical so his brains can actually be put on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    I'm not sure Achebe would be the best pick for a sequel. Then again unless they can work out Namor or Kraven rights, I'm not sure who else would be compelling enough they could pick. One of the reasons I thought putting both of T'Challa's biggest adversaries in the first film wasn't the greatest idea.

Achebe's definitely going to need a co-baddie who can go toe-to-toe physically with T'Challa.
    Kraven is just a side boss. He is a "Batroc" type person. He would be an assassin sent to kill T'challa while he is overseas. Not having him isn't really a loss honestly. I'm sure there are a dozen mercenary types the MCU could use. Probably could find some even in the BP mythos like Death Tiger.

They have the rights to Namor. It is like Hulk... they just can't do a solo film without sharing. If they wanted to do a war with Atlantis, they could.

MEPHISTO

SOLOMON PREY

But coming up with "muscle" is easy. The MCU could take any of T'challa's non-updated baddies and simply make them muscle and keep the name. They aren't beholden to decades of bad writing and neglect. If they want to make Baron a martial arts sorcerer combo... they will. If they want to take Madam Slay and make her a badass... they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    My pick for Achebe.

His acting in American Gods had presence. Just have him practice the African accent and he is set to go.

This is actually a really solid pick, especially if you want him to be a little bit more like comic book Achebe. Part of me is hoping they cast an African actor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Not that it doesn't lead to great fight scenes and I don't enjoy it, but it'll be a nice change of pace both for BP and the MCU if he's solely challenged intellectually, morally, politically, and ideologically. .

I gotta have my punching.

You can do both.

Batman leads himself more to a non punchy villain because one of his main things is being a detective. But also because he is just human, especially in the Nolanverse.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I gotta have my punching.

You can do both.

Batman leads himself more to a non punchy villain because one of his main things is being a detective. But also because he is just human, especially in the Nolanverse.
    But doing both to me means you have to a) top Killmonger (which might be easier said than done), b) bring Killmonger back (which could show a lack of confidence or creativity), c) turn M'Baku into a villain (which I don't think is a good idea yet), or d) use someone like Namor or Doom (which I feel is way too soon for the second movie), e) use Kraven as a side villain (which might be impossible due to rights and Sony apparently planning a Kraven film).

They could pull out some of his older and obscure villains for a physical threat and side villain but I just think it can lead to them being wasted or they take up valuable screen time or development for other characters, including T'Challa himself. And at this point right now, T'Challa is practically unstoppable with enhanced stats and a Vibranium suit that absorbs and redirects energy (not complaining at all lol because I love it).

You can have plenty of punching and great fight scenes with T'Challa handling goons (one of the best fight scenes in BP is the Nigerian forest fight scenes). At the end of the day, while T'Challa is pratically a supersoldier with high tech armour, he's also a king, political leader and intellectual. He should have a villain that challenges those aspects as well.

MEPHISTO

SOLOMON PREY

I think now would be a good time to bring in Solomon prey. He is a unique looking villain, and his abilities counter T'Challas senses. It could make for a really cool fight. Achebe being the Chess player and Solomon is his Knight

But doing both to me means you have to a) top Killmonger (which might be easier said than done), b) bring Killmonger back (which could show a lack of confidence or creativity), c) turn M'Baku into a villain (which I don't think is a good idea yet), or d) use someone like Namor or Doom (which I feel is way too soon for the second movie), e) use Kraven as a side villain (which might be impossible due to rights and Sony apparently planning a Kraven film).

They could pull out some of his older and obscure villains for a physical threat and side villain but I just think it can lead to them being wasted or they take up valuable screen time or development for other characters, including T'Challa himself. And at this point right now, T'Challa is practically unstoppable with enhanced stats and a Vibranium suit that absorbs and redirects energy (not complaining at all lol because I love it).

You can have plenty of punching and great fight scenes with T'Challa handling goons (one of the best fight scenes in BP is the Nigerian forest fight scenes). At the end of the day, while T'Challa is pratically a supersoldier with high tech armour, he's also a king, political leader and intellectual. He should have a villain that challenges those aspects as well.
    Achebe or Mephisto can pull the strings with a Kurse like dude to punch.

We only getting 3 movies out of T'challa solo wise. I don't think you can really afford to not "waste" villains so you can use them in some future movie. Worry about the movie in front of you, not the one 8 years down the road.

I honestly think Mephisto (reimagined as a African boogy man of sorts) works 100% better and easier than Achebe anyway. Seeing techno Shuri wrap her head around magic-ish stuff would be interesting. Seeing T'challa trying to figure out WTF is going on in regards to a magical demon thing would be interesting.

And Priest already set up an ending that is "non punchy," unique, and would look great when combined with the Djalia we've seen on film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think now would be a good time to bring in Solomon prey. He is a unique looking villain, and his abilities counter T'Challas senses. It could make for a really cool fight. Achebe being the Chess player and Solomon is his Knight
    I could see Achebe or Mephisto using alchemy to turn a general named Solomon into a pterodactyl looking beast quite easily

I actually don't think this is necessary at all. I think we've come to expect this way too much with comic book movies, especially MCU ones. Not that it doesn't lead to great fight scenes and I don't enjoy it, but it'll be a nice change of pace both for BP and the MCU if he's solely challenged intellectually, morally, politically, and ideologically. Killmonger was most of those things (which is what actually makes him a great villain) but he also had that physical aspect which makes him like every other MCU villain (again not exactly a bad thing).

I think having one villain like Achebe who's smart, driven, and crazy will force Coogler and Robert Cole (if he returns for the sequel) to be a lot more creative with the script. Nolan was able to do this with the Joker and it worked. Perhaps if because T'Challa is so physically capable, Achebe can use his enhanced senses as a weakness with technology? That's about it really, but I want a villain that challenges T'Challa aside from the physical so his brains can actually be put on display.
    Problem with TDK, is that joker and bat's 3rd act was so cringey when it came to the confrontation, joker was on some god level of planning and Batman had to pull out a deus ex machina and even then the big set up joker planned ended on some bs considering how well everything else played out.

Honestly the best way to handle it would be to have a side villain parading as the main villain while Achebe is in the shadows. As much fun as DS origin movie was, not having him get into a good fight with in the final act sort of made it jarring when comparing him to IW, where he is going to to toe with 4 Stoned Thanos.

You need that action

Extraordinary Member

Naw, F that. T'challa can figure it out himself or talk to a centuries worth of Black Panthers and Warriors.

Don't need him running to the dude he just stabbed for help lol
    I agree with this.

Extraordinary Member

I hope Killmonger is gone from the film franchise.

I really don't like the character. Although, I can't help but wonder if characters like Vemon (Eddie Brock), Bane, & Doomsday were in some inspired by Killmonger. I think the only version of Killmonger that does not disgust me is the Priest version.

I say go Kirby & sci-fi, and use Kiber the Cruel.

Achebe or Mephisto can pull the strings with a Kurse like dude to punch.

We only getting 3 movies out of T'challa solo wise. I don't think you can really afford to not "waste" villains so you can use them in some future movie. Worry about the movie in front of you, not the one 8 years down the road.

I honestly think Mephisto (reimagined as a African boogy man of sorts) works 100% better and easier than Achebe anyway. Seeing techno Shuri wrap her head around magic-ish stuff would be interesting. Seeing T'challa trying to figure out WTF is going on in regards to a magical demon thing would be interesting.

And Priest already set up an ending that is "non punchy," unique, and would look great when combined with the Djalia we've seen on film.
    I could see Achebe or Mephisto using alchemy to turn a general named Solomon into a pterodactyl looking beast quite easily
    Unless Coogler chooses a radically different direction for the sequel, I'm keeping in mind the sort of vision he brought on board for BP and brainstorming from there.

SPIRITUALITY INSTEAD OF FULL BLOWN MYSTICISM:

Coogler (or someone else) made a point about this regarding the movie. They wanted to tackle the idea of spirituality rather than magic or mysticism, which is why Bast is only alluded to and the Ancestral Plane scenes can be interpreted as visions experienced from undergoing a ritual. This to me already throws out Mephisto and I think he'd rather let Derrickson use him for instance. Solomon Prey could be okay for this sort of thing but I'm pretty sure he fought a T'Challa that didn't have a Vibranium weave suit. He'll need an upgrade to be an actual threat (so Vibranium claws and wings?)

RELEVANCE TO SOCIOPOLITICAL DISCOURSE AND ISSUES IN THE AFRICAN DIASPORA:

This to me is the biggest thing I feel Coogler would want to keep since that's both the kind of director he is and Feige knows that's a large part of the first film's success. Again, Mephisto does not exactly fit this bill. Solomon Prey may work with the drug trafficking thing but Coogler will have to be smart about it or there might be backlash.

INSPIRATION FROM SPY MOVIES LIKE "JAMES BOND"/"MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE" AND FILMS ABOUT SECRET SOCIETIES LIKE "THE GODFATHER" AND "A PROPHET":

The latter might not be as important because Wakanda is now in the open, but I think all of that says a lot about the mindset Coogler has regarding his interpretation of the BP mythos. It's part of the reasons why Shuri is a little but like Q/Benji Dunn, Klaw feels like a James Bond villain, Nakia is turned into a spy (and the war dogs are too), and that entire Korean segment is the way it is. Achebe would fit perfectly into this sort of vibe where others would not. M'Baku is the only other one I can see fitting this and being a better choice but for now he's a friend of T'Challa's and his turn to villainy has to be done right.

RELEVANCE TO SOCIOPOLITICAL DISCOURSE AND ISSUES IN THE AFRICAN DIASPORA:

This to me is the biggest thing I feel Coogler would want to keep since that's both the kind of director he is and Feige knows that's a large part of the first film's success. Again, Mephisto does not exactly fit this bill. Solomon Prey may work with the drug trafficking thing but Coogler will have to be smart about it or there might be backlash.

I'm not even gonna try and guess where Coogler goes for this part. Didn't see it coming in BP 1 lol

I'm not even gonna try and guess where Coogler goes for this part. Didn't see it coming in BP 1 lol
    Same here lol. I'm guessing he may not really personalise it this time but I can only really see M'Baku and Achebe so far fitting this bill. M'Baku and the Jabari are the ethnical minority in Wakanda so if he does become a villain, this background can make him empathetic. It might also be intentional or a coincidence that M'Baku speaks with an Igbo accent (anyone aware of Nigerian politics today will understand the reference). Making him the antagonist with that kind of motivation is a great way of tackling that issue as well as other past African civil wars. It's pretty much implied that the Jabari were exiled because they worshipped a different god and Winston Duke's range needs to be put into good use more and more.

Achebe given a bit of a rewrite can tackle the refugee crisis (something that was hinted at by W'Kabi), missing black children in the US, and modern day slavery.