Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Jul 23, 2014

As he prepares for his SDCC trip, Brett White wonders why he doesn't re-read his favorite comics more often.

Full article here.

JeffMT

Hi Brett,

Another entertaining column. I love to re read my back issues and trades, but as the father of 2 children aged under 10 there is just not the time nowadays.
    I think that is why most modern comics fail to stick in my memory and imagination as they don't get the chance to supplant the indelible memories that the Claremont X-Men run left. I got on board with it at my local newsagent in 1978 and re read constantly throughout the 1980's right until I jumped off at the end of 1989 as I started following the post Alan Moore DC universe through the British writers I'd also grown up with and had also read their pre DC work on a constant basis through the 80's. When I have the time I'm going to re visit a lot of the comics from the last 10 years and give them a thorough re read so they can implant themselves in my memories!

One thing I will add is that I read and re read alot more comics before social media was invented!

I don't re-read, but rather browse the pages of some of my favorite artwork. To be honest reading a fascinating story once is enough, because it's no longer a surprise. But seeing the art is a nostalgic feeling that many can appreciate. Re-reading an old Spider-man story you know how predictable his lines are, so unless you like repeating those quotes in your head like jingles, it gets old pretty fast. But art alone...stirs us and that's probably the biggest factor in re-reading comics. I probably browse Jim Lee's Wildstorm stuff the most often, because for me, artistically was pretty inspirational stuff. I loved his Wildcats run. Lots of kinetic art and details that are rare in today's comics.

I feel like I'm skimming comics now. Before I would analyze every panel. There are a few comics that I have to read every year. Wolverine: Weapon: X, Kingdom Come and my entire Atomic Robo collection.
    How about Alex?

Shamenize

Havok - that's exactly why I quit monthly titles. I just trade wait now - it's so much easier to keep everything straight in my head when I can take the entire run in one shot. But I, too, find myself with much less time nowadays for rereads - I used to read Dark Knight Returns at least once a month and various other titles (Authority/The Boys/Etc) were bi-monthly on my reread list. Nowadays, stuff just seems to pile up. I've got 50+ hardback collections from dc, image and marvel waiting on a shelf for me to find time for them and I've got 21 DC New 52 hardbacks also waiting for their turn. All I do now is pray for an early retirement so I can catch back up!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Keeping up with current comics has become a chore, more often than not. "Gotta read 'em all!" is indeed a good way to describe the mentality that permeates the industry (though I understand the publishers rely on that same mentality to stay in business).

Quite regularly I find myself debating whether or not to drop current comics and focus on re-reading the thousands I already have, while keeping up with certain creators/characters via trade. Unfortunately I'm an addict and always find myself relapsing... *sigh*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

All-New Member

For the past year or more, I have a new routine where I'll re-read a comic while I eat breakfast and get ready in the morning -- I literally wake up 15 min early so I have time for this, and I really enjoy it! My mind isn't 100% sharp at 6:30am, but it doesn't have to be for a re-read. I mostly save new comics for when I get home from work or right before bed. It's nice to start and end my day with a little bit of old and a little bit of new

I'm curious though -- how many on-going titles does everyone collect? I try to keep it around 10 so I can buy back issues of other stuff I want to read

I've been slowly paring down what I buy monthly. I have a fairly large back catalog in comixology and I keep some favorites on my phone. I reread the DnA Marvel cosmic stuff once a year, the IDW Transformers MTMTE and RID run to Dark Cybertron about as often. I reread Planetary, the Age of Apocalypse, Morrison's JLA and Hickman's FF run a bit more often.

I also reread what I call the Marvel Epic (Dissasembled through AvX) about once a year.

I'd reread more often some of the other runs I really enjoy (Invincible Iron Man and Fraction's Defenders for example) but I'm so short on time with work and kids and time with the wife. I find I start a binge when I'm traveling alone or standing in lines.

All-New Member

I have the same issues with rereading: too many books, too little time. It's the same with prose books. I started rereading Vertigo series (a special interest of mine) a few years back, but even so I've still only read favorites like The Sandman, Preacher, and Transmetropolitan twice. I think Watchmen is the only comic I've read three times or more. BTW Brett I enjoyed a panel you moderated at HeroesCon. I would have introduced myself, but I didn't make the connection with this column until later!