Page 103 of 208 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 3111

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    What made you watch it?
    I like Lena Waithe (Master of None, The Chi, Twenties, Queen and Slim) and she is one of the producers. I was watching an interview with her on YouTube—not about this movie—but, almost as an afterthought, she mentioned it. She sounded defensive, like “just give it a chance, forget what you’ve heard.” That should’ve been my warning.

Meltdown aka High Risk (1995)
    A funny little action flick

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I like Lena Waithe (Master of None, The Chi, Twenties, Queen and Slim) and she is one of the producers. I was watching an interview with her on YouTube—not about this movie—but, almost as an afterthought, she mentioned it. She sounded defensive, like “just give it a chance, forget what you’ve heard.” That should’ve been my warning.
    Lol

I recently saw Dora the explorer. Hold movie. Hey my kids are yound so they dominate. They allow me one movie and tv show a week. Why I have Hulu, Hbo, Prime, Disney and of course Netflix is beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    Lol

I recently saw Dora the explorer. Hold movie. Hey my kids are yound so they dominate. They allow me one movie and tv show a week. Why I have Hulu, Hbo, Prime, Disney and of course Netflix is beyond me
    I feel your pain. I paid actual money to see the Rugrats Movie in an actual theater way back when.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Out of Africa
    Landscapes and intimacy. Couldn't watch all of it as some movies cut deep. Everyone can appreciate acting like this. If you are into the subject matter or not.

Retired

BABY FACE (1933), directed by Alfred E. Green, starring Barbara Stanwyck.

"Baby Face" works for her abusive father in their illegal booze hall (and apartment), along with Chico, a young African-American woman played by Theresa Harris. A German immigrant philosopher who frequents the joint, imparts the wisdom of Friedrich Nietzsche upon Baby Face--advising her that rather than being abused by men, she should abuse them and exploit her own sexuality to gain power over them.

After her pop's still blows up taking him with it, Baby Face and Chico hop a freight train for the big city, New York. In the Big Apple, we see Baby Face's rise charted by the floors of a skyscraper, finally arriving at the penthouse.

Baby Face is merciless in how she uses sex to get what she wants from men. But I have no sympathies for the men--they are all hypocrites, denouncing others for the same behaviour they're guilty of, who only see Baby Face as an object to satisfy themselves and have no interest in the real woman. Seeing her triumph over these men and gain power for herself is exciting. She's forced to repent, somewhat, at the very end, as with all these movies--but it would have been even better if that hadn't happened.

Theresa Harris as Chico doesn't play the same old black stereotype that you would normally see in Hollywood movies. Chico is given life and individuality. She does end up playing the maid to Baby Face's pampered woman of means--however, that just seems part of the scam and not the role that Chico really serves, which is as a dear friend and accomplice, the only one who truly knows Baby Face for who she is. I just wish there was more of Chico in the movie, outside of her scenes with Baby Face.

Heidi (1968 version)

So last night I was looking through our Roku options for something to watch, that both me and my wife could enjoy, and saw Heidi. We knew about the Shirley Temple version (blah) and a couple of other versions - seriously there are tons of Heidis out there. And I saw the date on this one - 1968 - and immediately thought of the Heidi Game. You football fans, especially old school ones, will know exactly what I am talking about. So I checked and found it to be true - here it is, the infamous film that led to the "Heidi Phones" for NFL games. The Heidi movie that led to the blowing out almost all of the NBC switchboard fuses due to the overwhelming number of phone calls. Gotta see this.

Well it was pretty clear that it was terrible from the first ten minutes. Which makes the Heidi Game even more hilarious. It didn't follow the book at all, Heidi was an emo girl and she was about as excited about the alps as a chicken would be that is headed to the slaughterhouse. So we didn't finish the movie. However, my wife loved the story of the Heidi game and that this was the actual movie. Anyway, NEXT Heidi movie!

Heidi (2015 version)

This is more like it. True to the book like crazy, Heidi looked the part and acted the part. It was all unknown actors, at least for me, but they were great. A very positive and upbeat story for troubling times, this was an absolute joy.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-24-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Baby Driver
    The Social Network
    The Watcher (only because I wanted to see how bad it was)
    Kung Fu Hustle (I had never seen it)

EDIT: forgot that I also watched EdTV. I recently decided to re-watch the first season of True Detective and to see the stark difference in characters played by Matthew McConaughey...is pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Arfguy; 08-25-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Forgot one
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I started watching Dead Meat on Youtube recently. That's a very good channel. As a result, i watched 4 horror films wuthin a week. 3 of them were not pure horror. But that is still unusual for me.

Trucker and Dale vs Evil
    Ready or Not
    It Follows
    You're Next

Trucker and Dale, because i heard its a companion piece to Cabin in The Woods; one horror movie i love. Honestly speaking it was bit of a letdown. The concept surely felt unique. But it did not make me laugh out loud or be scared. All the college kid characters were very unremarkable except one character. Apart from her, the only one who left some impact was the villain. The film was worth it for three characters. The central duo was fun to watch. So was the unexpected romance.

Ready or Not. I remember listing Grace as one of my favorite horror movie characters in one thread even if i haven't watched the movie. Just a couple of Dead Meat episodes and trailers easily convinced me about Samara Weaving. After watching it i can defintely say that Hugo Weaving's niece was the MVP of the film. But other characters were fun as well. I really enjoyed it.

It Follows is the best of the four. Its quite suspenseful, creepy, visually pleasing and a treat for the ears. Never since Suspiria i have i enjoyed the sounds in a horror film so much. Great movie.

You're Next. It relied a bit more on jumpscares then i expected. I prefer continuous tension like Shining or IT Follows. Still a very good movie. Mostly due to Erin. My favorite female character out of the four i watched. There are few things more kick*ss then a bad*ss final girl. Think Sarah Conners, Ripley or Bride from Kill Bill. Even though the last one isn't horror, you get the point.

Ready or Not had a bit of that. But You're Next is full of it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Way Back. Not a bad little movie and it let Ben Affleck do some really good acting.

I saw the Peter Dinklage/Elle Fanning post apocalyptic drama I Think We're Alone Now.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

Cherry 2000

What a waste

Invincible Member

Charlie's Angels (2019). I didn't have much interest in this movie initially, but became curious as it was mentioned in another thread. it was ok-ish for what it was, but it was pretty hackneyed. Kristen Stewart actually did a really good at making a character who could have been annoying under a different actor, likeable and "believable".

Fatima (2020), cause Harvey Keitel and cause i was bored.

Not bad actually.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Bill and Ted Face the Music. So much better than the trailers made it look.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua