Page 45 of 204 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

I saw Angel Has Fallen this afternoon. I liked it despite two glaringly obvious plot moves. One which is spoiled in the trailer but the film doesn't start with that fact known. Overall, I'd say 7.5 out of 10.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I finally watched IT(2017). Loved it.

A stone cold opening. I have not seen something like that. You don't do that to kids. I really liked that they gave time to the kid characters. Making you care for them. The kid actors were really good. It was nice to see a young Fredy Freeman (the talkative kid from 'Shazam', who arguably steals the show in that film). The upcoming sequel is star studded. But after seeing this, i think its a possibility that they might disappoint!

Scares were pretty intense as well as ingenious. It had surprising amount of comedy and heart. Being peppered here and there they give it a nice balance. I am more into horror comedies then proper horror. This did not go into horror comedy, but this was the horror film for me.

One thing i would like to mention is that even though Pennywise is terrifying, i was more repulsed by the human characters. The father of Bevery made my skin crawl more then the killer clown. And the most repulsive scene from the movie was when Ben 'the new kid' was being bullied by that gang. Goes to say that human beings are more depraved and horrific then supernatural monsters.

Now to wait for the sequel. The trailers look lit, especially the first one. And maybe pick up the book. Stephen King must be a great writer. I have loved The Shining (which i have heard is quite unfaithful to the source material), and IT(which i have heard is very faithful). Another film from King's work was 1408. I enjoyed that movie staring John Cusack.

Astonishing Member

Brightburn - mildly interesting. A takeoff on Kal and Goku. Baby lands with Kryptonian level powers but is supposed to take over the world. Nasty little kid. A sequel would be mildly interesting. The end pieces and middle news suggests other evil supers on the planet.

The mom NOT being able to stab him was ok. She should have not telegraphed the move with the overhand psycho stab.

Retired

I've been watching DVDs that were still in the shrink wrap, that I got a long time ago for birthday presents, but never was interested in seeing them. Yesteday I watched THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (2006) starring James McAvoy--but supposedly about Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker). Right off the bat, I was upset with the movie because it seemed to be yet another one of those where they don't have enough faith in people to watch a movie about brown people, so they have to put some white person in the movie to act as our point of view. Sure, because we're so racist that we can't possibly relate to other people, if they are too foreign. I feel insulted by these kinds of movies.

But I did get into the story, because it was presented as based on fact. And I was thinking this Scottish guy, Dr. Garragan, is a real person and maybe the movie is based on his own biography. I didn't do any research before watching, but I believed that what the movie was telling me was true--even though Garragan seemed to have a pretty fantastic story. So after, I looked up Garragan and found out he's a fictionalized character. He might be based on someone else, but the details are sketchy. So the writers just made him up and the whole story is mainly about him. And because he's so sheltered from the reality of Idi Amin's dictatorship, he doesn't witness all of the atrocities. And the movie shields us from seeing exactly what happened in Uganda at that time and a lot of what we know is simply reported to Garragan in the movie. What we do see is quite horrific, but ithe movie largely depends on the audience already knowing the facts.

The movie is aware of its own white bias, commented on by the characters, but I'm not convinced lampshading this fact actually lets them off the hook. In hindsight, I'm kind of angry with the movie. Yet, as with most of these unwatched DVDs I have, I always suspected the movie was going to disappoint me, which is why I was so reluctant to watch it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've been watching DVDs that were still in the shrink wrap, that I got a long time ago for birthday presents, but never was interested in seeing them. Yesteday I watched THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (2006) starring James McAvoy--but supposedly about Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker). Right off the bat, I was upset with the movie because it seemed to be yet another one of those where they don't have enough faith in people to watch a movie about brown people, so they have to put some white person in the movie to act as our point of view. Sure, because we're so racist that we can't possibly relate to other people, if they are too foreign. I feel insulted by these kinds of movies.

But I did get into the story, because it was presented as based on fact. And I was thinking this Scottish guy, Dr. Garragan, is a real person and maybe the movie is based on his own biography. I didn't do any research before watching, but I believed that what the movie was telling me was true--even though Garragan seemed to have a pretty fantastic story. So after, I looked up Garragan and found out he's a fictionalized character. He might be based on someone else, but the details are sketchy. So the writers just made him up and the whole story is mainly about him. And because he's so sheltered from the reality of Idi Amin's dictatorship, he doesn't witness all of the atrocities. And the movie shields us from seeing exactly what happened in Uganda at that time and a lot of what we know is simply reported to Garragan in the movie. What we do see is quite horrific, but ithe movie largely depends on the audience already knowing the facts.

The movie is aware of its own white bias, commented on by the characters, but I'm not convinced lampshading this fact actually lets them off the hook. In hindsight, I'm kind of angry with the movie. Yet, as with most of these unwatched DVDs I have, I always suspected the movie was going to disappoint me, which is why I was so reluctant to watch it.
    Wow I saw this movie years ago and never knew the Dr. character was made up. Damn....

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    John Wick 3- a top tier action movie maybe a classic. This is how it's done not that shakycam,sped up choppy bullshit that passes for action these days. Props to the Director. Halle Berry and her dog are magnificent and Reeves moves more fluid in his 50s than he did in the Matrix(except when he runs)lol.
    Did you ever have a problem where the action was so good and there was so much of it that you got Numb to it. I loves the movies but there was so much beautiful action that at times I was like ok come on let's get on with it now. Also it felt like no one actually wanted to Kill John Wick in that movie. Alot of people had the chance and just didnt. Still loved the move though super excited for Wick 4

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Did you ever have a problem where the action was so good and there was so much of it that you got Numb to it. I loves the movies but there was so much beautiful action that at times I was like ok come on let's get on with it now. Also it felt like no one actually wanted to Kill John Wick in that movie. Alot of people had the chance and just didnt. Still loved the move though super excited for Wick 4
    I had that feeling in John Wick 2. Wasn't super excited to see the third part. Its just action without substance, and that gets tired pretty quick. Had the same feeling in Transformers 2-5 and Jason Bourne (the last installment), where I almost switched off.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Watching it again it did start to drag near the end. But yeah there were definitely parts where ppl were taking it easy on him. Like when the two Asian guys were throwing him through the glass shelves and they're talking to each other like "He's moving slow he must be tired." Like WTF? Aren't you trying to kill the guy?LOL.

Retired

They admire John Wick and it's a privilege to fight him, so they don't want to kill him too quick. I liked all the stuff in the movie and didn't get tired of it. But I realized near the end that the point of this movie wasn't to tell a complete story, it exists to set up the situation for the next movie. What if this one had been a flop? They might never get to address, in another movie, the problems introduced here. While very pretty, JOHN WICK 3 can't really exist on its own as a movie since it's a bridge between the previous one and the next one.

Retired

NIGHT TRAIN TO VENICE (aka Train to Hell) from 1993, but not released until 1996, directed by Carlo U. Quinterio, starring Hugh Grant, Tahnee Welch and Malcolm McDowell.

IMDb says this is 1 hour and 38 minutes, but the cut I watched was only 1 hour and 11 minutes. I can’t imagine that the extra 27 minutes helps the movie be any better and probably just makes it more tedious than it already is.

Compared to this movie, THE ROOM is a masterpiece. The filmmaking is absolutely inept--although there are a few great bits of cinematography, but these bits have no relation to the actual movie and just seem to be there because they look pretty.

I watched this movie, because I have taken the train from Munich to Venice, but it was never like this. What story there is could have easily been done in thirty minutes and even then the story would be very thin. Wikipedia makes more sense of the movie than I could, but according to them Hugh Grant said this was the worst movie he’d ever done.

Malcolm McDowell is very irritating as all he does is stand there for long takes doing literally nothing and sometimes the takes are in slow motion--as if it wasn’t bad enough to spend so much screen time on a character that does nothing, the director needed to slow it down so you could really really be bored with the character. It got so I was covering my eyes when McDowell appeared because I knew nothing was going to happen for the next few minutes.

Every actor in the movie is being paid to do virtually nothing for most of the run time. But maybe Hugh Grant got to travel through Europe and that made it worth it for him--that and the fact that he gets to smash Tahnee Welch’s several times in the film--that’s the major plot!

Note: Tahnee Welch is the daughter of Raquel Welch.

Tahnee and the pretty shots of Venice almost justify the movie being made, but not quite. The director, Quinterio, has only directed a few of his own films, being mostly a second unit and assistant director--I can see why.

A side note: I’ve always wondered how it is that Malcolm McDowell virtually overnight went from playing young to playing elderly. In CAT PEOPLE (1982), he’s playing the younger Paul (who moves like a cat), but in CROSS CREEK (1983), he’s playing the older Max Perkins. It’s like his choices of roles flipped in 1983 and he’s been playing elderly characters eversince.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 08-31-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Us

Creepy and disturbing, in a good and in a bad way. I cannot really explain my feelings for this movie.

Incredible Member

Logan. This is my favorite X-Men movie and one of the best comic book movies. I wish they did an X-23 movie after.

I saw Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw today. It was a big dumb action flick with an emphasis on the dumb. But I enjoyed it for what it was. The sci-fi aspects of the story did the movie no favors though.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I saw Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw today. It was a big dumb action flick with an emphasis on the dumb. But I enjoyed it for what it was. The sci-fi aspects of the story did the movie no favors though.
    Yea the more story we got the worse things got. But the movie thrived on the chemistry of Stathem and the rock.

Astonishing Member

The Meg

Ok, just what I expected. Jaws, but bigger and meaner.

The Maze Runner

Fun idea, and I love a good Labyrinth.