Page 46 of 203 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Nosferatu the vampire 1979

Very well made film, well acted, etc. but it can be boring

Astonishing Member

Bone Tomahawk. A horror western with one of the most disturbing or ugly gore scene I have ever seen...

A guy completely naked, upside down with his legs spread is getting axed in half starting from his balls...

Solaris(1972) by Andrei Tarkovsky.

One of the best sci-fi movies i have seen. A definite recommend if someone wants to see some thought provoking science fiction. The film tries to ponder upon philosophical questions like meaning of life and humanity using the 'sci-fi' part as a backdrop. Fair warning that Tarkovsky films can feel torturous to many people for their slow pace and an apathy to explain everything. Personally, i felt that very rewarding, as i often found myself trying to understand what something meant. Normally, in films we are passive receivers. But in films like this one can be an 'active' receiver.

I have heard people call this an answer to Kubrick's 2001, my favorite film. While there are similarities, both films are very different. 2001 gave a feeling of majesty and awe. This one left me feeling sad but satisfied. Brilliant movie. 10/10

Retired

I've been watching lots of period pictures lately and one thing I'm in search of is Regency period ball dances--thus Jane Austen movies. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (2005) did this well. But I have the feeling there must be a movie that surpasses all others in presenting this kind of conceit. What I like about it is that almost always this is a conversation piece--instead of an Aaron Sorkin walk and talk, it's a Jane Austen dance and talk.

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
    My favorite of this year's movies so far, and I've only seen a bit more than a handful of those.

Brightburn
    Camera crew were not in their best form for this movie, there are too many shaky camera shots, even for Kyle Breyer lying there in bed. Why?
    And overall, I thought the movie was watchable, but it's not good. I can say that the death of Noah serves as one of those PSAs to remind drivers and anyone in a car to fasten their seat belts.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The Accountant (2016)- A fun action flick with an autistic action hero but a dull plot.

IT, Chapter 2

Some jumpy moments, Pennywise was certainly on his A game, but ultimately the movie still felt rushed even at nearly 3 hours. I read the book decades ago but could not remember most details of the Losers' final confrontation with Pennywise. This part of the movie felt "too easy".
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Brightburn. Forgettable, especially after watching The Boys series.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Solaris(1972) by Andrei Tarkovsky.

One of the best sci-fi movies i have seen. A definite recommend if someone wants to see some thought provoking science fiction. The film tries to ponder upon philosophical questions like meaning of life and humanity using the 'sci-fi' part as a backdrop. Fair warning that Tarkovsky films can feel torturous to many people for their slow pace and an apathy to explain everything. Personally, i felt that very rewarding, as i often found myself trying to understand what something meant. Normally, in films we are passive receivers. But in films like this one can be an 'active' receiver.

I have heard people call this an answer to Kubrick's 2001, my favorite film. While there are similarities, both films are very different. 2001 gave a feeling of majesty and awe. This one left me feeling sad but satisfied. Brilliant movie. 10/10
    I've seen pretty much all of Tarkovsky's movies and my favourite one is NOSTALGHIA (1983), which he made in Italy (unlike his other Russian movies), but I would be at a loss to explain the plot of the movie. I found this movie quite inspiring and it seemed like being in Italy and not having to make a movie for the Soviet Union had freed Tarkovsky to explore more of his spirituality. Yet I felt let down by his final movie, THE SACRIFICE (1986), which is just as Swedish and NOSTALGHIA is Italian. The sacrifice in NOSTALGHIA is self-abnegating while the sacrifice in THE SACRIFICE is self-indulgent.

It seems like every male director has a fetish. In Tarantino's case it's feet; for Tarkovsky it was the back of a woman's head, with the hair gathered in a bun. I think this was something to do with his mother, who must have had her hair that way. The first Tarkovsky movie I saw was MIRRORS (1975), which is loosely autobiographical, and you can see there his obsession with his mother and the back of her head.

Astonishing Member

I thought John Wick 3 was much stupider than the first two. The plot and action sequences jumped the shark.

Retired

I saw the first two movies on my home screen and I saw the third in an actual theatre, so that might have affected my experience, but I was awed by the stunts in JOHN WICK 3. I would say it levelled up on the action, not that it jumped the shark. But maybe to reach that level, they had to go light on the character motivation so they could squeeze in a greater variety of action sequences. Since one movie flows right into the next, I don't really see them as separate movies--just different chapters in one extended story.

Bridge to Terabithia (2007), it wasn't a good idea :'(

Good boys. Really fun movie. I was kinda hoping at the end they would jump forward in time and Seth Roegn, James Franco, and Craig Robinson would play the kids all grown up.

I went and saw the 40th Anniversary screening of Star Trek: The Motion Picture today. It is still not a good movie. I swear that I dozed off at one point because I was so bored.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    The Meg

Ok, just what I expected. Jaws, but bigger and meaner.
    Pretty much this. And pretty much what I expected.