Page 87 of 208 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    She's become scary thin since then, I'm a bit concerned.
    Agreed. She's still very much a beautiful woman, but she lost a lot of weight. I chalk it up to the demands of Hollywood.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

THE ITALIAN JOB (1969), directed by Peter Collinson, starring Michael Caine; music by Quincy Jones. Trying to follow what they're up to in the first half of the movie was confusing; but then seeing them pull off the job is thrilling for the rest of the movie and it ends on a real cliffhanger. I'd like to think this movie and PENNYWORTH are set in the same universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that Chicken Run was on the telly today and rewatched it, boggling slightly at the fact it is now twenty years old. In case you haven’t seen it it’s basically The Great Escape but with chickens, and it probably has lots of British in-jokes I dunno what international audiences would think today but it’s still very funny to me.
    Agreed. The Wallace and Grommit movie about the Were-Rabbit is also an underrated classic.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I Am Legend with alternate ending.

I started watching this movie on a whim. Kind of eerie watching all of New York being empty, with nature slowly taking over. I'm still not a fan of the CGI dark seekers and I felt that the movie dipped in quality the moment after the heartbreaking scene between Neville and Sam, but a solid movie nonetheless.

I think the alternate ending worked better than the theatrical version.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that Chicken Run was on the telly today and rewatched it, boggling slightly at the fact it is now twenty years old. In case you haven’t seen it it’s basically The Great Escape but with chickens, and it probably has lots of British in-jokes I dunno what international audiences would think today but it’s still very funny to me.
    One of my favorites. And even though I'm a Yank, I got all the jokes.

Loved Early Man as well.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

After all of the crap that has been happening the last few days, I decided to watch a fun, upbeat movie.

So I watched The Towering Inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't even think that Wrath of Khan is... as good as its reputation would suggest. I think that one and Search for Spock are my least favorite Trek movies. My favorite is Undiscovered Country, by a lot, followed by Voyage Home. I actually love William Shatner, ham acting and all, I just don't necessarily find Khan that compelling as a villain.

Anyway, the most recent movie I saw was Halloween, since I just got Shudder.

Attachment 97102

It was good. A little slow, a little lacking in complexity, but very good. I don't necessarily feel like I'm ever going to watch another Halloween movie, though I guess never say never. But the original was very solid.
    If you do watch another Halloween movie, I'd recommend the latest one that just came out with Jamie Lee Curtis. You may enjoy the pacing more, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Extraordinary Member

Justice League Dark: Apokolips- Yeah the title says Dark but still...a lot of shock value. Makes me wonder for DC fans who like stuff like this. I don't get the hate for the Snyderverse.

Joker. Didn't get the love. All I could see was Phoenix acting, not Aurther. And why did he lose 50 lbs? The character didn't need it.
    And the director was trying so hard to be Scorsesee it was almost a parody. It was like he took Taxi Drive and King of Comedy and put them in a blender.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-02-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Joker. Didn't get the love. All I could see was Phoenix acting, not Aurther. And why did he lose 50 lbs? The character didn't need it.
    And the director was trying so hard to be Scorsesee it was almost a parody. It was like he took Taxi Driver and King of Comedy and put them in a blender.
    I liked the movie, but you're right. Todd Phillips was going for a late 70's feel and he clearly used Taxi Driver and King of Comedy as his models ( and he also swiped a shot from the movie Network).

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I liked the movie, but you're right. Todd Phillips was going for a late 70's feel and he clearly used Taxi Driver and King of Comedy as his models ( and he also swiped a shot from the movie Network).
    I know a lot of people like this movie, and it was a major hit. I just felt disinterested and too aware of the nuts and bolts.

Retired

It seems like a neutral observation that Todd Phillips, making a crime drama set in the early 1980s, referenced other crime dramas made in the 1970s/1980s. It's not like he was trying to get away with something that nobody was going to notice. He pretty much pointed to it himself in his movie.

It's kind of a thing in movies for directors to reference other directors. Getting the reference is part of the pleasure for some viewers (c'est moi). When I was watching TRISTRAM SHANDY: A COCK AND BULL STORY--a movie about making a movie--I noticed that they often used the music from Fellini's 8½--a movie about making a movie. I appreciated that, I thought it was clever.

There's a long list of directors that reference Hitchcock--including Scorsese--we don't think less of them for doing so. If you're going to impersonate someone, you should impersonate the best.

This wasn't reference, it was pure appropriation. He was making a Scorsese movie. There was no subtlety to it. Some found that interesting, I found it distracting. I am not here telling people they shouldn't like the movie. Just giving my honest reaction.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seems like a neutral observation that Todd Phillips, making a crime drama set in the early 1980s, referenced other crime dramas made in the 1970s/1980s. It's not like he was trying to get away with something that nobody was going to notice. He pretty much pointed to it himself in his movie.

It's kind of a thing in movies for directors to reference other directors. Getting the reference is part of the pleasure for some viewers (c'est moi). When I was watching TRISTRAM SHANDY: A COCK AND BULL STORY--a movie about making a movie--I noticed that they often used the music from Fellini's 8½--a movie about making a movie. I appreciated that, I thought it was clever.

There's a long list of directors that reference Hitchcock--including Scorsese--we don't think less of them for doing so. If you're going to impersonate someone, you should impersonate the best.
    Christopher Nolan listed Blade Runner as inspiration for Batman Begins and Dark Knight was inspired by Heat. I wish that would make audiences seek out older movies instead of subscribing to Netflix and treat movies like fast food.

Joker had a boring, depressing first half and this is what stops me from treating it like the second coming of comic book movies. Its second half I enjoyed immensely. Maybe Todd Philips can use William Friedkin as inspiration next
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 06-02-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Invincible Member

Maria a cheesy action revenge flick made in the Philippines(?) a retired female assassin is pulled back into the life after the death of her family.

You've seen this movie a dozen times before, but it was fun for what it was.