Page 56 of 206 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    Retired

I probably should have looked up their respective ages. I suppose that Burke was younger than Freeman was at the time that they each played Watson, but Burke acted older or maybe that's just the effect of period costumes. In A STUDY IN SCARLET, Watson has recently been in Afghanistan with the army and I'd expect he was a young man at the time (around thirty) and the adventures require him and Holmes to do a lot of physical things.

I don't see him as the old fusspot that some versions present (even though I like both Nigel Bruce and James Mason in that role). Given Watson is still alive and well during WWI, he ought to be young enough circa 1887 to get through the next thirty years in good health. I could be wrong, I'm no Holmes expert, but that's the mindset I have when I'm reading the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    this is a case where the one-eyed man is king in the land of the blind. if you compare it to Michael Bay's films, instead of judging the film purely on it's own merits, it comes across as looking "better than average"!

the fact that critics and audiences alike were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a dumpster fire full of pet corpses and excrement automatically leads to "this is the best Transformers movie ever made!"... which is an admittedly low bar to hurdle!!! all that would be required is basic competence at all aspects of, and stages in, the creative process. and this is arguably the first film in the Transformers franchise where that happened.

hence the hype.

LOL. I'm not saying that you're opinion is wrong or that you have to like it... I'm just saying that compared to the last four 'live action' films this one is a huge improvement. you could even argue that since it's the 5th film in the franchise, and a huge improvement over it's predecessor... that it's the "Batman Begins" of the Transformers cinematic universe.... relatively speaking!

"The Last Knight" =/= "Batman and Robin"
    "Bumblebee" =/= "Batman Begins"
    I get your drift. But I actually enjoyed the Bay films. Until Last Knight, which was unwatchable. I thought they were silly-fun with great action. Bumblebee was mostly boring. That is something a Transformer movie shouldn't be.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

just got back from the Greta Gerwig & company version of "Little Women": it was pretty awesome. yes, they took some big liberties with the narrative flow and some characterization but... honestly, I thought it worked well.

While I didn't see nearly as many films as I would've liked this year, here's My 7 Favorite Movies of 2019.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Retired

I probably saw more 2019 movies in the actual year of 2019 than I've seen movies from other recent years in the year they came out. That's still not a lot. I would say that ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD was the best movie, followed closely by YESTERDAY and JOKER. Then I'd include SHAZAM!, JOHN WICK 3 and GLASS. I might be forgetting some other movie that was as good as those, but there's none that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Spider-Man Far from Home. I liked it alot, more than Homecoming. First, the final battle was better, and IN DAYLIGHT!! I hate big nighttime finles. And Mysterio was a better villain than the Vulture.
    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Its exactly the other way for me. I prefer Homecoming but both movies are really good.
    I saw Far From Home and I dig it. It's ridiculously stupid when I think about Mysterio's explanation of his case and that Nick Fury bought it though.
    Of all pairs in this movie I think Tom and Jake had the most convincing friendship before the illusion was shattered.

I never understood what makes Homecoming considered to be good. In Captain America Civil War webhead was shown to be powerful, clever, coordinated, agile, flexible, humble. Homecoming crapped on Spider-Man when it comes to those qualities and made Tony explain that powerful heroes went easy on him, a luxury he wouldn't get against villains even street thugs.
    And then Infinity War happened to bring back his characterization from Civil War, making Tony's line about heroes going easy on the kid less convincing explanation to the awkwardness of the character in his first movie.

And there are more stupid things in Homecoming that disregard continuity with previous films and rules established earlier and highlighted again later. Character stupidity and underwhelming action and movement held the movie back from being entertaining like its successor was.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I saw Far From Home and I dig it. It's ridiculously stupid when I think about Mysterio's explanation of his case and that Nick Fury bought it though.
    Of all pairs in this movie I think Tom and Jake had the most convincing friendship before the illusion was shattered.

I never understood what makes Homecoming considered to be good. In Captain America Civil War webhead was shown to be powerful, clever, coordinated, agile, flexible, humble. Homecoming crapped on Spider-Man when it comes to those qualities and made Tony explain that powerful heroes went easy on him, a luxury he wouldn't get against villains even street thugs.
    And then Infinity War happened to bring back his characterization from Civil War, making Tony's line about heroes going easy on the kid less convincing explanation to the awkwardness of the character in his first movie.

And there are more stupid things in Homecoming that disregard continuity with previous films and rules established earlier and highlighted again later. Character stupidity and underwhelming action and movement held the movie back from being entertaining like its successor was.
    I really haven't put that much thought into the plot and the characters behaviour before and was probably just happy to get Michael Keaton as an older/elderly rogue in a superhero movie with an Overall great cast. What you have spotted makes perfectly sense. Based on this... my hopes for the second one were topping the 1st which IMHO it didn't, despite applauding Marvel for the road trip part and casting Gyllenhall. What I really disliked was the bus scene.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 12-29-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post

He only said Cap took it easy on him. He said something like if Cap wanted to put you down he would have. And if you watch Civil war Cap was playing with him and almost all the heroes were pulling punches anyway. Without the Avengers backing him up Peter shows in the beginning of HC that hes inexperienced and doesnt know what hes doing. He takes out the robbers fairly easy but hes has no situational awareness. And it happens again later where theres unneeded collateral damage because hes reckless. People liked it because hes a small child, hes bound to make huge mistakes. Hes not Captain America as far as level of execution on his best day. So to show him struggling to get things right when hes like 16 makes sense.

The only issue I had with inconsistency is with Bucky. Civil War showed hes has to be a full on super soldier. He runs just as fast as Cap and Tchalla. He has the same durability as cap. I mean he can jump 15 stories and land on his feet like it's nothing. I guess you can say he doesnt have Caps skills but the fact Spidey took him out so easy but was a minor inconvenience for Cap was weird for me. But I enjoyed the scene. I guess Bucky just doesnt have the skill or awareness cap does.

Ssw Jumanji next level and I had a blast. Its delivers on what you would expect. I didnt expect the rock to do a pitch perfect Devtio impersonation. Or anyone to put on an acting class. Though I though Kevin Heart as Danny Glover had a few scene that were well acted. But the movie was Fun and funny. So I had a good time.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 12-29-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Is it even possible to watch all those movie in one night? Lol that's a day long committment. I need to rewatch them havent seen them since I was a kid and I fell asleep during two of them.
    Well, I will let you be the judge. The night before, I got about 2 hours of sleep, went to work...but I slacked off the entire day, since there are hardly any requests that needs to be done. I came home around 6:30 pm and I started watching them around 7:30 pm. I was watching them in bed and I dozed off during Fellowship for about 5 or 6 minutes, but awoke without missing too much. I was fully awake for Two Towers and Return of the King, which Netflix says is about 3 hours and 21 minutes. I think I finished watching them around 4 am.

That's like 7.5 hours. How can you concentrate for this long? How much coffee do you need? Theese are serious questions.
    I watched them back-to-back and did doze off once. No coffee required. I just love those movies

As for most recent watch:

I was in the mood and ended up watching Starship Troopers Friday night.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I probably saw more 2019 movies in the actual year of 2019 than I've seen movies from other recent years in the year they came out. That's still not a lot. I would say that ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD was the best movie, followed closely by YESTERDAY and JOKER. Then I'd include SHAZAM!, JOHN WICK 3 and GLASS. I might be forgetting some other movie that was as good as those, but there's none that comes to mind.
    I really should have watched SHAZAM! on Christmas day. Next year, for sure.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Marriage Story was surprising funny. I thought it was pretty good and all the actors were great.

Retired

One of the many things that annoyed me in MARRIAGE STORY was how the two main actors looked. Scar Jo seemed to be made to look older than Driver--I guess she is, but she's a beautiful actress playing a beautiful actress who is succeeding in Hollywood, so that character would be very careful about presenting herself as young and beautiful. I mean she's still beautiful in the movie--she can't help but be--but it seemed like they were trying to play down her beauty.

Meanwhile, they presented Driver as a pimply adolescent dufus, even though he's supposed to be a successful theatre director. I could never work out in my mind how much is a deliberate message from the filmmakers and how much was just clumsy lack of direction. Thinking about these things took me out of the movie, so I was looking at it from a detached perspective and not invested in the story (which was about people I wouldn't care about anyway--other than the little kid that's trapped in this stupid world).

I was probably just happy to get Michael Keaton as an older/elderly rogue in a superhero movie with an Overall great cast.
    Yeah, he's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    He only said Cap took it easy on him. He said something like if Cap wanted to put you down he would have. And if you watch Civil war Cap was playing with him and almost all the heroes were pulling punches anyway. Without the Avengers backing him up Peter shows in the beginning of HC that hes inexperienced and doesnt know what hes doing. He takes out the robbers fairly easy but hes has no situational awareness. And it happens again later where theres unneeded collateral damage because hes reckless. People liked it because hes a small child, hes bound to make huge mistakes. Hes not Captain America as far as level of execution on his best day. So to show him struggling to get things right when hes like 16 makes sense.
    I'd get behind the choice of making him make mistakes if he wasn't a failure most of the time causing almost all damage by his poor decision making.

It's true that Cap and Falcon took it easy on the kid in Civil War, but even with that Peter was more coordinated and flexible into the mood of the battle than anything shown in Homecoming.
    And the car stopping bit from Civil War makes the choice of nerfing him down this much even more befuddling.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Finally got around to watching Stalker.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Saw Rise of Skywalker over the holidays. Definitely a good movie, I felt you could basically completely ignore TLJ with it and just pretend that Luke died in his sleep or choked on a porg or something. So the final trilogy just became a duology for me, which is awesome.

Favorite movies of 2019 - Endgame and Joker, not necessarily in that order. Runner up is RoS.

Here's hoping for a great movie year in 2020!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.