Page 29 of 208 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Paaengers; see thread about movies that people said were bad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Captain Marvel better than expected not the 3rd wave feminist fest some are saying it is. had it's problems but still an an entertaining marvel flick.

Triple Frontier pretty good heist flick with Ben Affleck. Nerflix

Love,Death and Robots animated anthology (Netflix) hit or miss depending on your tastes. Sonnies Edge,Lucky 13, Zima Blue,Blind spot,The witness and Shape shifters were the standouts imo.

Retired

With PASSENGERS, the funny thing is I ended up watching most of the movie on youtube, but out of order. I was just intrigued by the story on one youtube clip and then I watched another clip and another until I had pretty much seen the whole movie. But I did go back and watch it all the way through. I think it suffers for poor editing choices. If they simply looked at the movie and recognized the fundamental problems, they could have edited it in a different way to reframe the narrative.

But maybe it was doomed anyway, because it had two big stars that made themselves such targets. Popular opinion is fickle like that and Jennifer Lawrence was due for a backlash. People will love love an actor until they don't and then they turn savage.

Astonishing Member

I really liked Passengers, i dont understand the hate for this movie from some people...

Even my wife said: "I dont watch this ****" after i told her that Jennifer Lawrence is in it and that she is pretty hot...(i will never understand women)

I don't think there was anything wrong with the narrative. Maybe you could elaborate on what you mean Jim? It was an adult version of "Wall-E". And I mean that as a compliment (I love Wall-E).
    Not a great movie by any stretch. But very watchable.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

It's been awhile since I watched the movie, but it puts us in the head of the Chris Patt character. So we're supposed to sympathize with him, but we can't because what he does is unforgiveable (or it was to a lot of the audience at the time). I think if you just ordered the scenes differently, so the movie begins with Jennifer Lawrence and we are always viewing it from her perspective, then we don't have to sort through these uncomfortable feelings we have about the Chris Pratt character, where we were made to feel invested in his situation. The Lawrence character should be our frame of reference and whether she forgives him or not, it's about her and not about him. The time jump at the end also was a bit of a dodge and avoiding the problems for those characters by simply skipping over them.

Captain Marvel. Lower tier of MCU films, as far as plot and other elements, but my daughter really liked it so that was rad. MCU also has set a really high standard and its hard for everything that comes along to meet it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Captain Marvel better than expected not the 3rd wave feminist fest some are saying it is. had it's problems but still an an entertaining marvel flick.

Triple Frontier pretty good heist flick with Ben Affleck. Nerflix

Love,Death and Robots animated anthology (Netflix) hit or miss depending on your tastes. Sonnies Edge,Lucky 13, Zima Blue,Blind spot,The witness and Shape shifters were the standouts imo.
    Watching love death and robots and some of these look ridiculously expensive to make.

Retired

I don't see why modern movies can't just reuse footage from other movies and repurpose sets. Maybe there's some legal hang-up. I watch the old LOST IN SPACE every Saturday and the Irwin Allen shows repurposed a lot of stuff. With LIS, they were probably using the old Western sets, that were slowly falling out of use with the decline of the Western. And when they did TIME TUNNEL, they reused a lot of footage from old movies. Good environmentalist policy--reduce, reuse and recycle. Think about all the waste generated by modern day blockbusters--why not share resources?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Watching love death and robots and some of these look ridiculously expensive to make.
    Yeah man and they're just shorts. For Lucky 13 it looks like they cgi'd the actress they might as well have just used the real thing lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't see why modern movies can't just reuse footage from other movies and repurpose sets. Maybe there's some legal hang-up. I watch the old LOST IN SPACE every Saturday and the Irwin Allen shows repurposed a lot of stuff. With LIS, they were probably using the old Western sets, that were slowly falling out of use with the decline of the Western. And when they did TIME TUNNEL, they reused a lot of footage from old movies. Good environmentalist policy--reduce, reuse and recycle. Think about all the waste generated by modern day blockbusters--why not share resources?
    I think they did that with CM some of the Kree stuff looked familiar.

Incredible Member

Watched 99 Homes today. Really good movie. Garfield and Shannon are fantastic in it.

Saw the upside today, I was impressed by Kevin Hart.

Kong: Skull Island - more fun than I expected, but could have been much more. The first fight sequence with Kong was spectacular, the rest not so much. John C Reilly stole the show. And whenever Samuel L. Jackson is in a movie, I now see a) Samuel L. Jackson or b) Nick Fury.

IO - what a snore-fest. Bland characters in a story that drags along without any real progress. Add to that a forced romance between the two leads, who have zero chemistry.

Watching Turn Up Charlie on Netflix. From the trailer I thought it was beneath Idris Elba(I know hes in New F&F movie) after watching a couple episodes and seeing his relationship what the other characters it makes sense why he did it. Now the music make me wanna cut my ears off but the characters are good. His relationship with the little girl is great