Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859606162 LastLast

Went and saw Little Women over the weekend. Really good film with a bunch of great performances. I heard two of the actors were nominated for Oscars and the movie got six total nominations. Well deserved.

So people are talking about the director getting "snubbed" because of nomination. Here is my thought on that - the movie was only fairly well directed. It was one of the oddest directorial takes I've seen in a movie, period, for no apparent reason. The film was good in spite of the directing!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-13-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If it wasn't for COIE, I would go to see 1917 this cheapskate Tuesday--maybe next. But I feel like the movie deserves to be punished--I hate when movies swoop in at the last minute in limited release so they can get nominations and put on ten best lists, when they actually aren't available to the rest of us until the following year. I wonder if 1917 counted as a 2020 movie, coming out in January, would enough people remember it by December 2020 to put it on their ten best lists and nominate it for awards?
    I know I'm just a drop in the bucket in the film world (I watch about 40-50 new films per year and I just have a Letterbox and post on reddit), but personally, 1917 is going to count towards my 2020 films because it wasn't released in my area until now. But I don't know why you want it to be punished. It had a qualifying limited release. And like Kirby101 said, this way is giving it attention that it may not have had otherwise.

Standing Member

1917 will be one of those movies that falls between the seat cushions for me. Because, if I end up liking it, I can't put it on my best of 2019 as I won't have seen it in 2019, but I can't put it on my best of 2020 list since it has a 2019 date.

For a discussion of how Oscar-bait movies have moved to the last three months of the year, you guys should really check out "Charting with Dan" on SJU. Dan Murrell has pie-charts and everything.
    " I'm shocked! shocked! to find that gambling is going on in here!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    1917 will be one of those movies that falls between the seat cushions for me. Because, if I end up liking it, I can't put it on my best of 2019 as I won't have seen it in 2019, but I can't put it on my best of 2020 list since it has a 2019 date.

For a discussion of how Oscar-bait movies have moved to the last three months of the year, you guys should really check out "Charting with Dan" on SJU. Dan Murrell has pie-charts and everything.
    First world problems

My list is like what I see comes into the actual year. If I see Terminator 1984 in the year 2020, it will fall into the 2020 category. Its pretty easy...

Definitely first world problems. But I’ll admit I do wish prestige movies were more spread out. I like all kinds of movies and I like to watch all the movies that are either up for awards or should be up for awards. I guess the term is prestige movies... but with so many oriented towards the end of the year, I get kind of burnt out by them. Between movies being released in theaters or waiting for home releases, I end up seeing 30 to 40 movies in the last month of the year and it does start to wear me out.

I saw "Joker" and thought it was great.

Just got back from watching 1917. It was a hauntingly beautiful movie experience. I'm glad this was the first movie I went to watch in the theatres in 2020.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Motherless Brooklyn (2019)

It was a slick neo-noir and Norton did a good job with writing/directing/acting.

Bad boys 3 and really enjoyed it. The best film of the franchise imo. Happy they are setting up more possibly

The Matrix and Star Trek (2009) on Netflix.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Incredible Member

Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix

I enjoy every Cloverfield movie up to date.

Extraordinary Member Deathstroke's Avatar

I watched the movie Black and Blue last night. I didn't think much of it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched the movie Black and Blue last night. I didn't think much of it.
    Which one is that? I get confused. Frank Grillo had two movies about Dirty cops that co stared a bald black guy come out at the same time. One with Mackie and another with Tyrese.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Which one is that? I get confused. Frank Grillo had two movies about Dirty cops that co stared a bald black guy come out at the same time. One with Mackie and another with Tyrese.
    It's the one with Tyrese. I thought it was gonna be crap going in but it was actually pretty good. Thunder and Luke Cage have some cameos.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 01-23-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

Bad Boys 3. Wow great movie, great comeback for Martin.