Page 153 of 208 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 3111
    Astonishing Member

Dr. Strange in the multiverse of madness

Visually spectacular. The typical Marvel story is humor is there, but toned down. The typical Marvel style is tone down too. It plays more like a Horror/Supernatural movie.

One of my least favorite Marvel Movies. At 1:30 I was thinking: Can it end now please? Was a bit too much of the supernatural mystery whatever stuff for me.

Astonishing Member

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness.

Raimi at the top of his directorial game. Great score by Elfman. A visual effects smorgasbord with interesting concepts. The cast was terrific (Cumberbatch and Olsen). Humour that was better balanced and didn't derail any of the narrative tension. Plus it leaned heavily into horror and the supernatural (cosmic horror really).

I loved Doctor Strange for depicting the mysticism aspect of the character. But THIS is what I wanted for a follow up and Raimi/Marvel did not disappoint.

If you are a fan of horror (both from fiction and cinema in general), Raimi, and like your superhero films with some degree of seriousness and well timed humour, this is the film for you.

Zero Hour, 1957 Dana Andrews Sterling Hayden and Linda Darnell. It's the Movie that Airplaqne! parodied. The same basic plot and almost as funny, though not intentionally. I kept expecting Sterling Hayden to say "It's a bad day to give up sniffing glue."
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Gone Baby Gone:

I don't know whether it's that Casey Affleck is a boring actor or if he's boring in this movie, but I was bored watching him most of the time.

World War Z:

Made me think back to The Tomorrow War as a movie about a father who is a former soldier and has a daughter, but the 2021 movie has interesting characters, this one has Brad Pitt being directed to look good and distract from the bland characters. Zombies are pretty silly in this one, they fall down from great heights and don't break their bones...

It's a stupid movie, I'm not annoyed this is my first time watching it.

Zathura: A Space Adventure:

This was a fun Jumanji like adventure about playing a magical board game that breaks your environment.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo. Pretty good though very dark which was expected.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Finally got around to seeing Uncharted.

Holy hell the green screening was atrocious, you can tell where they spliced the actors together because they were never in the same room.

The dialogue was horrible because of all the ADR and splicing. yeesh

Well, one of the movies I recently watched is gonna be airing on TCM tonight at 6 PM: Madame X (in honor of Mother's Day). It starts off as a cheesy, melodramatic and implausible soap opera, but ends up being quite touching.

Locke (2013):

Eddie Brock's actor Tom Hardy played as the father of a kid whose voiced by Spider-Man's actor Tom Holland. I told this bit to my brother and we joked about the post credits scene of Venom 2 and Venom licking the screen seeing Peter on the street post Beck's announcement on TV.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The suicide squad. (21)

Damn that's dumb.

Ghost in the shell, 2017.

Not bad, not bad. Liked Scarlett as usual, i always have found her wooden acting kind of cute for some reason. But that white suit? Bad move lady, baaaad move.

And Juliette Binoche, man, forgot that she was in it. Always nice to see her.

I would say that they tried maybe a bit too much to pay homage to the animated movie from 1995 but overall i had a good time.

And by the way, Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 Sustainable War is available now if you want some more GITS in your life.

Astonishing Member

Watched the new adaptation of the Stephen King novel Firestarter, from Blumhouse.

It started promising (and I thought the cat scene was a nice addition to the original), but holy moly does it go off the rails when the "rescue" act is up.

King adaptations are all messed up for me now. After the bitter taste of Firestarter and Paramount's Pet Sematary adapting novels I really liked, and how much I liked Doctor Sleep without reading that novel and not caring a whole lot about The Shining in the first place, I totally expect now to love New Line's Salem's Lot as a vampire flick when I only thought the original novel was okay.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Watched the new adaptation of the Stephen King novel Firestarter, from Blumhouse.

It started promising (and I thought the cat scene was a nice addition to the original), but holy moly does it go off the rails when the "rescue" act is up.

King adaptations are all messed up for me now. After the bitter taste of Firestarter and Paramount's Pet Sematary adapting novels I really liked, and how much I liked Doctor Sleep without reading that novel and not caring a whole lot about The Shining in the first place, I totally expect now to love New Line's Salem's Lot as a vampire flick when I only thought the original novel was okay.
    I saw that the other day and it was pretty much a scaled back version. Thought the actress playing Charlie was good. So was Zac Efron. But damn did it go to pieces.

Nice they actually got a indigenous actor to play Rainbird as well.

James Bond; Live and Let Die. Roger Moore's first film as 007. An odd one to start with as an introduction for a new actor. Not only an Occult film, but a supposedly a Blaxploitation movie, a genre I know very little about. Certainly the mostly Black cast are not shown in a poor light as far as competency. As they mostly lead the CIA and 007 a merry dance from New York to the Caribbean. James comes across as a bit of an A-hole in a few spots, but at least he seems efficient at his job.

Roger Moore's first scene is in his split level apartment, his bedroom visible from entry is at a raised level giving it a slightly throne room like effect. James makes an espresso coffee for M, while Moneypenny helps the beautiful Italian agent Miss Caruso exit the bedroom and stay missing for another hour or so. This Bond likes the good life even more than Connery's.

The film holds together much better than Diamonds Are Forever one later scene however I find no obvious explanation for. Who gave Bond the tarot card giving away a CIA agent as a traitor? The seer Solitaire if I recall wasn't on his side at this point and if she did, when did she, pretty much attached to Kananga's hip, have the opportunity to do so? Another possibility is 'Baron Samedi' who seems to be working for the bad guys, but might actually be a chaotic neutral version of the real Voodoo god as he dies twice in the film and comes back unharmed.

A weird, but good Bond film.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I saw that the other day and it was pretty much a scaled back version. Thought the actress playing Charlie was good. So was Zac Efron. But damn did it go to pieces.

Nice they actually got a indigenous actor to play Rainbird as well.
    I agree the actors were good, but Firestarter only works for me now as a novel, where torturing Charlie's mother (tearing her nails one by one) before killing her, by random state sponsored assassins, had a bigger punch than Andy killing those same guys (adapted to film here) just to retrieve a randomly kidnapped baby Charlie, like he was a psychic Liam Neeson, only for Rainbird years later killing Charlie's mother in a more merciful psychic duel and I guess neck snapping.

I think the movie still retained the urban despair until they escaped to the farm, but everything fell to pieces afterward.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I agree the actors were good, but Firestarter only works for me now as a novel, where torturing Charlie's mother (tearing her nails one by one) before killing her, by random state sponsored assassins, had a bigger punch than Andy killing those same guys (adapted to film here) just to retrieve a randomly kidnapped baby Charlie, like he was a psychic Liam Neeson, only for Rainbird years later killing Charlie's mother in a more merciful psychic duel and I guess neck snapping.

I think the movie still retained the urban despair until they escaped to the farm, but everything fell to pieces afterward.
    I think a true adaptation can only be achieved by A. Making it a episodic tv series and B. Keeping it a period film circa 1980s like the novel.

What reason did they have in conducting the experiments around 2010? Here the participants already had abilities and LOT-6 is implied to have heightened them. Before it was testing the drug that gave it to them. I think the 1960s/early 70s setting works better because the government was knee deep in playing around with LSD and other hallucinogens.

Also forgot to mention this new Firestarter is worthwhile for one other thing - John and Cody Carpenter doing the score.

In short, forget this film. Just buy the soundtrack and play it while reading the novel.