Page 108 of 206 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 3085

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Parasite

I hated almost any character in it, but maybe that was the point?
    Felt the same way. The film was very nihilistic. Kind of undermines any of the points it was trying for, because it everyone is horrible, why would you ever listen to anything they have to say or be all that interested in how they do things? Just a depressing movie that ends by placing you in a giant amorphous blob of undefined, pervasive depression.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Blumhouse's The Hunt. Betty Gilpin was the bees knees, couldn't get enough of her.
    She was really awesome in the movie.

Recently watched: Face/Off & Hard Target

While I recognize that Face/Off is probably considered the better film and there is way too much to love about it, I think Hard Target is John Woo's best North American movie. I remember reading or hearing about how John Woo didn't want JCVD to all the martial arts stuff but I always love seeing Chance Boudreaux bookending a bunch of bullets to someone's torso with spinning aerial roundhouse kicks.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

The Gentleman, good Guy Ritchie fun.

The Trial of the Chicago 7. Yeah it's not historically accurate, but Sorkin is writing about today as much as 1968. And the performances were outstanding.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

"Betty Gipin" sounds like a made-up name from an old T.V. show. "Della, bring me that file on Betty Gilpin. I suspect Hamilton Burger will call her as a witness for the prosecution."

I saw THE HUNT, but had no notion who the lead actress was--or most of the cast. The only one that registered with me was the guy from ALWAYS SUNNY, clearly still in character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    "Betty Gipin" sounds like a made-up name from an old T.V. show. "Della, bring me that file on Betty Gilpin. I suspect Hamilton Burger will call her as a witness for the prosecution."

I saw THE HUNT, but had no notion who the lead actress was--or most of the cast. The only one that registered with me was the guy from ALWAYS SUNNY, clearly still in character.
    I think the "Snowflake" character was just the most resourceful, which made her really stand out to me. She used everything she had learned and didn't lose her head.

Nice observation on the "Betty Gilpin" name, though

Recently watched: La La Land & Blade
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

"Frost/Nixon".

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    "Frost/Nixon".
    Good movie, a nice bookend to Chicago 7.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jumanji (1995): Film will hit its 25th anniversary December this year.

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle: This is fun, and I'm glad they revived the series this way.

Jumanji the Next Level: This is some funny stuff that makes me happy Danny Glover and Danny DeVito were available to be cast for it. The teased sequel to this movie is the only sequel I currently look forward to watch.

Superman III: I'm sorry to the late Richard Pryor and his fans, but this is one of only three movies I saw that has him in an important role, and it's the only one he's been in that I enjoy. It's a silly movie that never lost its luster for me.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Retired

ON THE ROCKS (2020), written and directed by Sofia Coppola, starring Rashida Jones and Bill Murray.

I have two side issues with this movie. First is that this is about an affluent class of people that get too many movies made about them and to which I have no connection, so I always wonder why I should even watch these movies. Second is the wife, played by Rashida Jones, does all the parenting--while the husband, played by Marlon Wayans, is free to do whatever he wants and he's only shown playing with the kids, not caring for them. While this set-up might be necessary for the plot, I feel like we ought to have more movies that break these gender stereotypes.

Laying that aside, I enjoy movies where something like a detective story provides the structure, which then allows the movie to develop character relationships--such as the one between father and daughter here. And this picture reminded me of so many French movies, including François Truffaut's VIVEMANT DEMANCHE! (1983) and Eric Rohmer's LA FEMME DE L'AVIATEUR (1981). These movies are light on the surface yet have something darker going on with the characters below the surface. So I had a good time with this movie.

Extraordinary Member

The War of the Gargantuas- a Toho kaiju classic.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 10-29-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Mulan, 2020.

What a disaster...

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Mulan, 2020.

What a disaster...
    I didn't see it but loved the other one. Is this one at least worth seeing, on any level?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933), directed by James Whale, starring Claude Rains, based on the H.G. Wells novel.

I love this movie--it's so much fun. I first saw it as a kid, around the same time I read the Wells novel. The movie boasts a cast of many delightful character actors. About the only useless character is the love interest, Flora--she's so one note.

This was one of Claude Rains' most famous roles (and one of this earliest film roles), yet he never gets to show his face throughout the entire movie, until the last shot when he's playing a corpse. He had to do all his acting just through that magnificent voice.

For 1933, the visual effects are rather good. There's only a few times when it seems a bit wonky, but fascinating how they managed to pull this off with what they had in those days.

A worthwhile watch for Hallowe'en time.

Someone Great (2019 Netflix) This may be the most realistic rom-com I’ve ever seen about what it’s like to be a single, twenty-something, beautiful woman getting the most out of the Big Apple with your gal pals at your side. Granted, I’m not in my twenties or female (beautiful or otherwise), but when I moved to NYC twenty years ago I befriended women just like the trio of ladies in this movie. It is so true! Funny, fast-paced, colorful and with great performances by Gina Rodriguez and DeWanda Wise.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Someone Great (2019 Netflix) This may be the most realistic rom-com I’ve ever seen about what it’s like to be a single, twenty-something, beautiful woman getting the most out of the Big Apple with your gal pals at your side.
    I'll have to take your word on that. After seeing LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR in 1977, I always assumed that was reality.