Page 41 of 204 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
    Retired

Also watched
    DJANGO UNCHAINED (2012) and THE HATEFUL EIGHT (2015), directed by Quentin Tarantino. Two spaghetti western/blaxploitation homages that compliment each other quite nicely.

What put me off going to DJANGO when it was in theatres is Jamie Foxx. I really don't like his acting at all. But I tried to put Jamie Foxx out of my mind and see the character as Django--and for most of the movie he's not very Jamie Foxx, so it's possible to see this as being a different actor in the role.

What I liked about that movie is the way that it becomes a big mythic tale of this Django person, who even gets his theme song by the end. Samuel Jackson's character in THE HATEFUL EIGHT could almost be the same guy, years later--but I don't think the timeline works for that.

Of the two movies, it's hard to pick a favourite. I think that THE HATEFUL EIGHT was more ambitious, because Tarantino imposes limitations on himself that force him to use the location in many different ways.

Watching reviews of these movies, it's quite frustrating, because the reviewers talk a lot about the controversy surrounding the movie or they try to find fault with what the movie is doing. I prefer reviews that look at what the director is doing in the movie and analyze how he goes about doing that--without making judgements of good and bad. For directors on this level, it seems pointless to pick at them. Tarantino knows what he wants to do (whether you like it or not) and it's more interesting to study how he does that.

It's only with DEATHPROOF that I felt like he wasn't in complete control of his movie and he let things slide--maybe that was an experiment on his part. Trying out new approaches to see how they work and then applying those lessons to his later movies.

I found one video on youtube that did a great analysis on THE HATEFUL EIGHT, pointing out a lot of things I missed. That's the kind of thing I want to find, to help me better appreciate the movie. I don't like the off-the-cuff pot shots at movies taken by most reviewers these days.

And I wonder why it is every time I look for a movie on youtube, the top review has a thumbnail of this rabbit-faced guy named Chris Stuckman. I don't know if he's a good or a bad reviewer, but I never click on his reviews--out of obstinance now, and also because the way the algorithm works on youtube if you click one video, it will keep bringing up the other videos from the same guy. I wish there was a way to discourage youtube from always showing me reviews from the same guy.

Captain America Winter Soldier on 4th of July.

loved it.

Ultimate Member

The Fifth Element. I was underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I have seen it to, and feel kinda the same. But its okay for me, i can live with that and liked Far from Home.
    I really liked it, too. In fact, my friend has not seen it and I am going to see it with him tomorrow. If it was a movie that I did not like all that much, I'd avoid going to watch it. I am looking forward to watching it again, though. Tom Holland is really good as both Peter Parker and Spider-Man, IMO. He does so much right. Unfortunately, you don't get that sense of isolation from these movies. Peter is always surrounded by people and he's always got Ned. Peter Parker, in the Raimi movies, felt like he had no one to depend on and he kept going. That does not come through at all in these movies. Peter has no financial problems, he's got a great support network and he's got so much help.

I understand that some might feel that going back to those Raimi movies' base might be a retread, but the feeling of sadness or pity does not exist for this version of Peter Parker. Far From Home was a lot of fun, but the pathos is severely lacking in these movies.

To be more on topic, though: I recently watched Mission: Impossible 3 and M:I Ghost Protocol. I just finished watching Lost in Translation.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

Watching Blake Lively in movies like THE SHALLOWS (thrilling), ALL I SEE IS YOU (confusing) and A SIMPLE FAVOR (a mess)--I'm struck by how good she always is, even when the movies that she's in are not good. She seems to be one of those actresses that never gets much respect--maybe because she was in GOSSIP GIRL, which I never watched but some people dump on it. In all her recent roles, she's really trying hard to inhabit a variety of characters and puts in a good performance every time. Makes me sad that GREEN LANTERN never got a sequel, as the sequel could have been miles better than the first movie, with Mark Strong playing Sinestro and Blake Lively playing Star Sapphire.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The Decline Of Western Civilisation Part II: The Metal Years

An interesting chronicle of an enjoyable, but undoubtedly bloated and occasionally dumb, music scene and decade. I haven't seen this since it was shown on British TV in the late 1980's. For all it's excess I still think back to this period and that scene more favourably than the miserable sods that 'lit up' the 90's. There's a scene in the film that shows Ozzy Osbourne getting the shakes and spilling some Orange Juice on his breakfast table that was very obviously faked but this was still a reasonably balanced look at the Metal scene.

And how weren't Odin megastars? No justice in the world .

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

An interesting chronicle of an enjoyable, but undoubtedly bloated and occasionally dumb, music scene and decade. I haven't seen this since it was shown on British TV in the late 1980's. For all it's excess I still think back to this period and that scene more favourably than the miserable sods that 'lit up' the 90's. There's a scene in the film that shows Ozzy Osbourne getting the shakes and spilling some Orange Juice on his breakfast table that was very obviously faked but this was still a reasonably balanced look at the Metal scene.

Despite my continuing love of the 80's metal years, I've never seen the entire movie. However, the scene with W.A.S.P. guitarist Chris Holmes was pretty infamous if I recall original reviews I read.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Despite my continuing love of the 80's metal years, I've never seen the entire movie. However, the scene with W.A.S.P. guitarist Chris Holmes was pretty infamous if I recall original reviews I read.
    Yeah, he's absolutely wasted and lying on a pool inflatable fully clothed and wet through. Holmes continuously swigs entire bottles of Smirnoff whiskey, pouring what he can't manage in one gulp all over himself. At one stage he refers to himself as a piece of s--t. His mother is sat by the side of the pool taking all this in and looking distinctly unimpressed. There's excess in many areas of the film. Paul Stanley is interviewed in bed with three models.

One thing that I did notice this time around was that, amongst the numerous LA hopefuls that the film interviews, were a couple of members of Vixen. An all-female group that did later achieve a level of success. I used to have a crush on the lead singer, Janet Gardner.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

I remember watching this years ago in my apartment when my mother decided to drop by for a visit. She pointed disapprovingly at someone in Faster Pussycat and said, "Ok now that one looks just like a girl!"

Astonishing Member

New Child's Play.

Remaking it to a bad AI horror movie instead of the serial killer warlock of yore worked way better than I expected.

Retired

EXTREME JOB. The English translations of Korean in the subtitles were terrible. So I had to try to imagine what they were actually saying. Thankfully there's lots of moments where you don't need to understand everything to get the humour of the situation.

Road to Perdition

Is there a meaning for Perdition that doesn't mean Hell? Michael jr.'s aunt lived in Perdition area, surely that has another meaning.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Retired

Both the religious and the secular meaning of "perditon" are about the same--a place of constant punishment, without hope of salvation. The early settlers were God fearing Bible folk and they didn't look on the New World with the same insight as the native people--they saw it as a blghted land, the place where God sent Cain. There are lots of locations that were given negative names--like the Badlands or Tombstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Both the religious and the secular meaning of "perditon" are about the same--a place of constant punishment, without hope of salvation. The early settlers were God fearing Bible folk and they didn't look on the New World with the same insight as the native people--they saw it as a blghted land, the place where God sent Cain. There are lots of locations that were given negative names--like the Badlands or Tombstone.
    Interesting.
    Thanks Jim.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I watched Amazing Grace and Chuck last night.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.