Page 142 of 206 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 3086
    Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Ramsay Snow;5747020]I tried watching Once Upon a Time in America, Sergeo Leone's final film starring Robert De Niro & James Woods. I don't particularly care for Woods (He's a mid-level actor, if that), but I was quite looking forward to finally watching this film.

I couldn't get into it.....I gave it a 1-hour chance (It's a 3hr 49 min film)......First off, the movie's really slow. Keep in mind one of my favorite films is The Hours, which isn't exactly a fast-paced film, so I usually don't have a problem with that. Most of the first hour is an aged De Niro wandering around his friend's bar, then we see teenage De Niro (another actor) being a peeping tom, watching a young Jennifer Connelly practice ballet. He's watching from what passed for a bathroom back then, and bumps into a guy taking a leak, which was heartwarming.

Later in the film, we see teenage De Niro taking a dump in his apt unit's community bathroom, then notices a girl he likes (Who we later find out is an underage prostitute) is walking toward the bathroom, so he excitedly unlocks the door and sits back down. She walks in on him, he flashes his schlong, convinces her to flash her nether regions to him, he starts feeling her up, then she needs to undergo her own bowel movement and sits on the toilet and asks him to leave......Now that's the pinnacle of cinema!!!!

A friend of mine told me I need to give it another hour's chance. I don't doubt the film gets better, but I really don't feel like diving back into this......Especially after we see the corrupt community cop banging the underage prostitute on a rooftop, then teenage De Niro & teenage James Woods get their turns.

After I read your text I decided its time to give it a chance. The runtime was the only reason why I never gave it a try, so my intention now was to watch it like a tv series. 60 Minutes a day. Yesterday I play pilot movie and watched 90 or 100 Minutes...and thats it. I don't have the urge to watch it any further. The problem is not that its slow paced, the problem is that its utterly boring.

Extraordinary Member

Snake Eyes- not a bad action movie but not necessarily a good G.I Joe movie.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Cry Macho by Clint Eastwood

Watched this on HBOMax and I enjoyed it. It has little in the way of action, this is a drama piece and I felt like the characters really sold the narrative. The last half of the film especially cause that is where the build up pays off.

Grade: A-
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Changing Lanes

One of the craziest movies I've seen. Ben Affleck and Sam Jackson knocked it out of the park. Don't even know if Affleck made a film like this ever again, but the dialogue, pacing, drama....just grabs right from the start.

Felon

One of the better prison movies. First half was a bit of a chore, but the second half really, really pays off. Val Kilmer playing some tatted up prison guy wasn't something I thought I would see, but he was phenomenal.

The Card Counter (2021) is an odd film.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-01-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Documentary time at the movie theatre continues for me, as today I saw No Hay Camino, about Peruvian-born Dutch film maker Heddy Honigmann, who at age 69 finds herself afflicted by both MS and cancer; left wheelchair-bound, she nevertheless travels back to Peru accompanied by friends, to visit the places and talk to the people who were important to her during her formative years. The movie serves as a reflection upon her life and a homage to her oeuvre as documentary maker.

The movie was preceded by an animated short by another Dutch filmmaker, with a sci-fi/supernatural theme.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Not technically a movie but it got me interested in the real life housing crisis in the 90s.

[QUOTE=DanMad1977;5750107]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I tried watching Once Upon a Time in America, Sergeo Leone's final film starring Robert De Niro & James Woods. I don't particularly care for Woods (He's a mid-level actor, if that), but I was quite looking forward to finally watching this film.

I couldn't get into it.....I gave it a 1-hour chance (It's a 3hr 49 min film)......First off, the movie's really slow. Keep in mind one of my favorite films is The Hours, which isn't exactly a fast-paced film, so I usually don't have a problem with that. Most of the first hour is an aged De Niro wandering around his friend's bar, then we see teenage De Niro (another actor) being a peeping tom, watching a young Jennifer Connelly practice ballet. He's watching from what passed for a bathroom back then, and bumps into a guy taking a leak, which was heartwarming.

Later in the film, we see teenage De Niro taking a dump in his apt unit's community bathroom, then notices a girl he likes (Who we later find out is an underage prostitute) is walking toward the bathroom, so he excitedly unlocks the door and sits back down. She walks in on him, he flashes his schlong, convinces her to flash her nether regions to him, he starts feeling her up, then she needs to undergo her own bowel movement and sits on the toilet and asks him to leave......Now that's the pinnacle of cinema!!!!

A friend of mine told me I need to give it another hour's chance. I don't doubt the film gets better, but I really don't feel like diving back into this......Especially after we see the corrupt community cop banging the underage prostitute on a rooftop, then teenage De Niro & teenage James Woods get their turns.

After I read your text I decided its time to give it a chance. The runtime was the only reason why I never gave it a try, so my intention now was to watch it like a tv series. 60 Minutes a day. Yesterday I play pilot movie and watched 90 or 100 Minutes...and thats it. I don't have the urge to watch it any further. The problem is not that its slow paced, the problem is that its utterly boring.

Sounds like I made the right choice in dropping out of the film after an hour, as you gave it an extra 30-40 minutes and it apparently didn't get any better.

Just saw Rebecca, Alfred Hitchcock directing Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier, excellent stuff.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Ramsay Snow;5757342]
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post

Sounds like I made the right choice in dropping out of the film after an hour, as you gave it an extra 30-40 minutes and it apparently didn't get any better.
    Yes, you did.

And there is another boring stinker with a long runtime. And thats James Bond: No tome to die

Wow, without giving too much away, no spoilers here, it was way too boring, way too serious. Almost to the part where I was missing all the fun a Bond movie usually provides. The Villain was colorless and pathetic.
    They played it sooooo serious that it became a Parodie, lol.

I had the urge to leave early, but I paid good money for the seats, so I stayed (besides that I never leave when I paid lol)

Worst Bond ever.

"A Most Violent Year" (2014)

A slow first hour but it picks up in the second half.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-05-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Psycho, 1960. For the first time in like 20 years or so.

I still hate the last 10 minutes of the film but well, 10 minutes out of two hours or so of good movie is not a bad ratio at all.

Incredible Member

Watched Black Widow on Disney+ the day before yesterday. I liked it well enough, like most MCU movies I go in and know I'll be entertained. Scarlett Johansson is great in this, as is actually the entire cast. The action is the usual over the top MCU stuff, so that's expected. The most enjoyable parts were the personal moments, i.e. interactions with her sister and the parents.

While I really enjoyed the "family"dynamics, and the action there were a couple of things that really bothered me. The most obvious being that this movie should have come out a long time ago, now that everyone knows what happened to her character later on it feels a bit anti-climactic. Also, given her significant role in the MCU from almost the get-go, I think she would have deserved this much earlier. Without going into spoiler territory, I think the girls forgave their parents way too quickly considering what was done to them. This bugged me until after the movie and still does. Also, I think the villain was underdeveloped and should have been on-screen more during the build-up to the finale.

Saw In the Heat of the Night, the 1967 crime thriller starring Sidney Poitier as Philadelphia detective Virgil Tibbs who travels to Sparta Mississippi to assist in a homicide case and finds himself working with local police chief Bill Gillespie (Rod Steiger), all the while dealing with bigotry from the local community as well. Enjoyed it muchly.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Watched Freaky on HBO Max last night. That movie is by far the worst piece of garbage I have seen in years. I like Vince Vaughn, but man he must be a broke son of a bitch to agree to star in this turkey. Every character in this movie was such a cliche with nothing else to them. The streotypical gay best friend was just flat out offensive, and I am not even gay.