Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast
    Standing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    From January;
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-it-be-786380/

And speaking of Jackson, if anyone has not seen "They Shall Not Grow Old", do so. It is a remarkable achievement.

For the Beatles, I would also recommend Ron Howard's "8 Days a Week" documentary.
    Supposedly Paul and Ringo think that the original version of LET IT BE damages the Beatles' legacy. I don't know--I think it does nothing of the sort and it wasn't the end of the Beatles, as some say. They came back from those sessions with ABBEY ROAD. I call that a triumph.

I have 8 DAYS A WEEK on DVD. I first saw this movie in its limited theatrical run and at that showing, after the movie itself, there was the entire Shea Stadium concert with great picture and sound. So I was looking forward to having that on the DVD, but my copy has no such concert included.

The original title for HELP! (the movie) was supposed to be "8 Arms to Hold You"--"8 Days a Week" is one of my favourite songs, but it's hard to imagine what Lennon & McCartney could have done with the lyrics "eight arms to hold you."

Another movie that the Beatles wanted to make was THE LORD OF THE RINGS. Imagine, John as Gollum, Paul as Frodo, Ringo as Sam and George as Gandalf.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 06-08-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Standing Member

MY MAN GODFREY (1936), directed by Gregory La Cava, starring William Powell and Carole Lombard. I was moved to watch this film after hearing a shortened version of it on THE LUX RADIO THEATER, from Old Time Radio. Powell and Lombard also starred in that broadcast. The co-writer of the film (and author of the novel on which it’s based), Eric Hatch, was also a guest and he explained to host Cecil B. DeMille that when they made the movie they didn't use a full script and scenes were improvised by the actors. I enjoyed the radio play so much that I had to see the movie, which is such a great picture that no words can do it justice.

Powell and Lombard were in fact married but had divorced by the time they made the movie (they stayed good friends). I love both actors and I wish they got more recognition. In particular Lombard, who sadly left the world too soon--having died in an airplane crash at the beginning of 1942. MY MAN GODFREY was made during the Great Depression and the picture has a clear-eyed sense of the great divide between folks who are at the bottom in society and those that are at the top, while still finding the humour in it all.

AWAY WE GO (2009), directed by Sam Mendes, starring John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph; ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE (2019), directed by Nahnatchka Khan, starring Ali Wong and Randall Park. It’s great to have rom-coms that don’t discriminate against diverse couples and give them the same inane plots that the typical white American romantic couples have had for generations. But what drives me crazy in all these stories is the warped perspective on lower to middle income people by Hollywood writers, who seem to be disconnected from the realities the rest of us have to face.

In AWAY WE GO, the couple are supposed to have not “made it” yet and are struggling, yet they rent cars and buy last minute tickets on airplanes and trains that take them all across North America--while expecting a baby and presumably having medical bills and other expenditures to look forward to--as if they have an inexhaustible supply of money. And it turns out that they both have houses they could be living in without any expense, yet they spend the whole movie looking for other residences in various cities and towns where they might settle down to raise their kid. They are supposed to be a relatable couple, without means--yet ultimately they have so many means, it’s not funny.

Then in ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE, Randall Park’s character has a good life in San Francisco, he’s got a good job, lives in a great neighbourhood, has friends and family, is doing the things he loves--but somehow Ali Wong’s character thinks he isn’t having the best possible life he could have. And we’re supposed to believe she’s right, despite all the evidence that he’s at the station of life best suited to him. Meanwhile, her character seems to have become a celebrity chef by magic--we never really see how she got from point A to point B in her career. Apparently it’s super-easy, barely an inconvenience, to have it all and if you don’t, then there must be something wrong with you. And Randall Park’s character also flies across the continent, at a moment’s notice--and somehow he can afford to do that, even though he’s supposed to be a poor schmo like the rest of us.

DOWN WITH LOVE
    (2003), directed by Peyton Reed, starring Ewan McGregor and Renée Zellweger. This rom-com tries its darndest to be like those movies that starred Rock Hudson and Doris Day or Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee. In fact, Bobby did a great cover of the song “Down With Love” back in the day and I half expected to hear it in this movie, but instead we got Judy Garland. The thing that this movie really needed was some song and dance numbers from the leads and we almost got none of that until after the movie was effectively over and we were into the credits. Then McGregor and Zellweger knock it out of the park with a number that has more energy than the previous film--which was a little too cool to let its stars break into song. Yet if the stars were up for this kind of musical performance, I don’t understand why that wasn’t incorporated into the movie proper. That could have made an okay comedy into a stupendous triumph.

The picture does a good job of mocking the conventions of rom-coms, where it’s so easy for someone to become a big success overnight and that’s simply the means to an end for the sake of the plot. So you can't really fault it for the stupidity as that's the point of the yarn. Sarah Paulson also appears in the movie opposite David Hyde Pierce--she thinks he’s gay but wants to marry him anyway. The queer baiting is off the charts for this one. I wish they had actually outed these characters--instead of leaving us to wonder about their subtext.
    Celebrating 150 Years of the Hectograph!
    1869 - 2019
    👍

Baby Driver & The Whole Nine Yards - on Netflix
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Venom - 6/10. Cheesy as cheddar, but shockingly good
    An incident in Ghostland - 4/10. Started well then sunk into mediocrity.
    Black Snake Moan - 9/10. Better than I imagined.
    Thoroughbreds - 8/10. One of my favourites.
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

Murder Mystery.

We thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
    After watching, I discovered critics hated it.
    What's wrong with people today?

While it's not an epic film shooting for an Academy Award, it also wasn't trash.
    I think it would've made an excellent pilot for a tv series. (And I would watch the show. Especially if it's a 'monster of the week' type show.)
    I give it 6.5 out of 10.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 06-18-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

Mile 22

A relatively short movie, with just 91 minutes runtime, or so. But it goes fast and didnt waste a second of its time. Usually a movie like this runs about 110 - 120 minutes.

I dont think there will be a prequel, because the box office was bad ( 66 m or so), though it was planned as a triology. I wonder what happend, maybe it was the lack of commercials or something?

I think movies today are sometimes too long, its refreshing to see a movie with under 100 minutes runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Mile 22

A relatively short movie, with just 91 minutes runtime, or so. But it goes fast and didnt waste a second of its time. Usually a movie like this runs about 110 - 120 minutes.

I dont think there will be a prequel, because the box office was bad ( 66 m or so), though it was planned as a triology. I wonder what happend, maybe it was the lack of commercials or something?

I think movies today are sometimes too long, its refreshing to see a movie with under 100 minutes runtime.
    When I watched that movie I remember being confused by the ending. Because Dude was trained and working for the Russians. But it's his fault that the head Russians lady son got killed right? He gave them the Intel. So was it a triple cross where he played both sides or what?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Mile 22

It wasn't bad the fight scene in the hospital was pretty good. But Marky Mark was talking way too much and it's not a good idea to start a trilogy by wiping out the a team.

Standing Member

Is there a movie length at which you feel like you're being ripped off? Many years ago, I went to see THE PICK-UP ARTIST when it first came out in theatres--it starred Molly Ringwald and Robert Downey, Jr., supported by a cast of great acting talent--but the studio had cut that thing down to just 81 minutes. I could tell there had been a great movie there, but at its short running time there wasn't that much on offer. And paying to see an 81 minute movie when the same ticket could get you a two hour and forty minute movie, that did seem like a real rip-off.

I never did get to see JONAH HEX when it was out in theatres--it left before I had the chance--but that was also only 81 minutes. And I haven't seen the movie since--though it's reportedly awful--but I wonder what it was like before they cut it down to such a short length.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Murder Mystery.

We thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
    After watching, I discovered critics hated it.
    What's wrong with people today?

While it's not an epic film shooting for an Academy Award, it also wasn't trash.
    I think it would've made an excellent pilot for a tv series. (And I would watch the show. Especially if it's a 'monster of the week' type show.)
    I give it 6.5 out of 10.
    I personally didn't like it too much. As far as funny Adam Sandler movies go, I have definitely seen funnier ones. I'd even say "Just Go With It" starring Sandler and Aniston is better than Murder Mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Is there a movie length at which you feel like you're being ripped off? Many years ago, I went to see THE PICK-UP ARTIST when it first came out in theatres--it starred Molly Ringwald and Robert Downey, Jr., supported by a cast of great acting talent--but the studio had cut that thing down to just 81 minutes. I could tell there had been a great movie there, but at its short running time there wasn't that much on offer. And paying to see an 81 minute movie when the same ticket could get you a two hour and forty minute movie, that did seem like a real rip-off.

I never did get to see JONAH HEX when it was out in theatres--it left before I had the chance--but that was also only 81 minutes. And I haven't seen the movie since--though it's reportedly awful--but I wonder what it was like before they cut it down to such a short length.
    I don't know if I ever felt ripped off, but sometimes I did feel a little empty if I felt a movie kind of ended. For instance, i thought "The Commuter" just kind of ended. It almost felt like there should have been more to it, but it just kind of felt hollow to me.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Standing Member

I guess there are also movies that overstay their welcome. You get a good ending, you're ready to leave the theatre, the movie has satisfied your interest--but then it keeps going and going and just won't leave on the high note.

Aquaman.

Love the actors, the movie is good but yet, not sure how to really explain it, but it doesn't really feel like an Aquaman movie to me.

I don't know, it's like watching a movie about a prince of Atlantis and his struggle to claim his throne, a very good movie, but it doesn't feel to me as if it's Aquaman.

Anyway, probably my favorite DC movie. (or Shazam maybe)

Moana. Spectacular animation.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Standing Member

Jason Momoa doesn't really fit my image of Aquaman (but then my image of Aquaman is Ramona Fradon's). Neither does Grant Gustin fit my image of Barry Allen or Stephen Amell fit my image of Oliver Queen. But I really don't mind that--because I'm okay with movies and TV shows being their own thing. Yet, as a movie, AQUAMAN is probably the most DC of all the movies I've seen. First you've got all the costumes that are comic book accurate--frickin' Black Manta's helmet and Ocean Master's mask moves with his facial expressions! Then you got all these deep cuts to DC lore. For gosh sakes, we got teased on Skartaris existing in this world! That triggered all my DC love.

Dark Phoniex. Its pretty good.