Page 74 of 208 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Surely it's just embarrassing to watch explicit stuff with your parents or your siblings. I always assumed my parents disapproved, I didn't know for certain. But I felt terrible when those scenes would come on--it was excruciatingly uncomfortable. Likewise with my siblings. I used to go to the Vancouver Film Festival every year, as did one of my sisters, and we would often be watching the same films together, but there were a few movies that I saw with her where something happened and I just wanted to crawl under a rock.
    My two sisters and I went and saw the original 1980s version of About Last Night. It was all sex, sex sex, talking about sex and more sex. So awkward, we walked out at some point.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

A shock to the system-Michael Caine. Pretty good stuff.

Astonishing Member

Its funny how Americans do have problems with sex, nudity and all that stuff. Its not awkward or anything else, its just what people do or talk about.

In Europe its no big thing, even my daughter and her friends watched movies with sex and nudity in it, and they were 16 at the time.

But I don't want you get upset right now, I love you Americans and I love to visit your country once a year. I ts just a cultural thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Its funny how Americans do have problems with sex, nudity and all that stuff. Its not awkward or anything else, its just what people do or talk about.

In Europe its no big thing, even my daughter and her friends watched movies with sex and nudity in it, and they were 16 at the time.

But I don't want you get upset right now, I love you Americans and I love to visit your country once a year. I ts just a cultural thing.
    That is true. It comes from the puritanical/religious influence on our society. But thanks to the internet and Cable TV that is becoming a thing of the past, slowly, but the truth is, kids are seeing it. And our country hasn't collapsed yet.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

I think there's a middle ground. I admit to being too uptight with my siblings, but other friends in Canada are not so much. However, I think parents that overshare with their children and children that don't own their personal space can end up in a dysfunctional and even abusive relationship. As human beings, we deserve to have things that are our own that we don't need to share with everyone else--or that we can just share with our significant others. It should be a healthy balance.

Its a myth that Americans have a problem with sex, nudity and all that stuff. Just a bunch of hokum cooked up by people who want to sound more metropolitan or by Europeans who think themselves to be superior. The origin of the myth is in a misunderstanding of religion by people who (unsurprisingly) are not religious.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

I was searching for a romantic comedy to get me out of myself in these times and I found a new movie made in Toronto, which I opted to watch based on the synopsis. This is THE BET (2020) directed by Joan Carr-Wiggin. "A woman [played by Natasha Little] makes a bet with her husband [played by Colin Salmon, General Zod on KRYPTON] that she can get the next man she sees to propose to her [that man is played by Douglas Hodge, probably best known as Rolo Haynes on BLACK MIRROR]."

A comedy of errors, I could never predict what direction it would take. There are lots of quirky bits of comedy sprinkled throughout the movie, but it also feels that at any moment the movie could go very dark. And it's nice to visit Toronto again remotely--somehow the characters seem to all exist in a walkable area, as we rarely see them using cars or other transport. And it looks like Toronto--no pretense that it's an American city. The Canada Post boxes stand on the street proudly, declaring their true identities.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 04-11-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

I watched the Meg recently.
    I actually wanted to see it in the Theaters but i did not managed then so i just watched it recently.
    The movie was cool to me,i am actually surprised how much i liked it,considerating the zillion of Shark movies that have been made.
    Even so i thought the movie was quite enjoyable and well worth watching.

I Lost My Body on Netflix. Haunting animated film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I had a big problem with that scene even back in the day. The "nudity" didn't bother me, it was Arnold's plan...If it had worked, did he really think that she'd be happy to see him or would she more likely been angry that he humiliated her in front of his co-workers when he interrogated her about their marriage and then again making her do the strip in front of what she thought was a foreign agent? The movie makes it seem like it was ok cuz we know it's her husband but she doesn't. Had the plan worked and I was Jaime, I would have divorced him.

Anyway...

The John Wick movies are probably a good bet.

If they haven't seen The Matrix movies, they'll probably like the hand to hand stuff.

The Equalizer, I haven't seen the sequel yet.

They might like Jason Statham movies

If they haven't seen The Expendables 1 and 2 not great films, but they might have fun with them

Are your parents willing to watch Hong Kong movies? If so, there's a ton of movies that might be up their alley...
    The Matrix would be absolutely awesome...if I didn't have to explain everything. Look at it this way:

I thought I'd give them something fun and lighthearted, with some pretty good action sequences IMO. So I showed them Real Steel.

Not only did my dad laugh at various scenes as he described some scenes as ridiculous (in our own language), but both my mom and dad didn't understand that the young boy was the abandoned son. Their background is basically watching a whole bunch of TV shows and movies in my native language, where basically everything is simple and everything is explained. I showed them the Grey, which was a pretty straight-forward movie but depressing as all hell, so I needed to find something a little more upbeat.

They didn't get most of the Mission: Impossible movies and didn't get something that was pretty simple in Real Steel. I think they just need simple black & white movies, like they made in the 80s. I was thinking of watching Hard Target with them, but my feeling is my dad has already seen it.

Wow, your parents seem to be a tough crowd

Homefront with Jason Statham comes to mind
    For sure

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Surely any of the Bond films would work???
    My parents would have a heart attack at the concept of men and women having sex . Plus, a lot of the Bond girls wear a lot of revealing dresses
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

It's funny, because I'm Bengali-Canadian. I moved to Canada around 8 or 9 years of age, but I was very much into western culture, with shows like Thundercats, Knight Rider, A-Team, etc. When I moved to Canada, I really got into shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joe and C.O.P.S.

I grew up with violent TV shows and movies. I watched Die Hard 2 when I was around 14 and didn't blink when McClane stabbed a bad guy in the eye with an icicle. My folks were perfectly ok with anything that does not involve sex or nudity.

I don't know if 100% comfortable with sex and nudity, as I can watch movies with that stuff but I don't know if I could do that with my kids, if I ever have kids.

Sorry: I am sidetracking this thread. Recently, I watched The Best of Me.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Youth- Paolo Sorrentino
    Ok, this one got to me and broke me and fixed me, only to break me again. 12 out of 10. Dear Michael Caine, I love you. This one made my to-watch-once-a-year-list as a reminder of what movies are able to do, if crafted well

Crawl, fun. Call it Gatorcane.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Haven't seen it in ages but Willis is horrible in general. For me, it fit the movie because he is in a state of depression until he emerges as SPOILERS
    He does not make my top ten but he's cool.
    Die Hare 1-3, Red series, Look whos talking series (I don't know if it holds up though...haven't seen since the early 90s), Bandits, Unbreakable, sixth sense and looper are cool off the top of my head

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    He does not make my top ten but he's cool.
    Die Hare 1-3, Red series, Look whos talking series (I don't know if it holds up though...haven't seen since the early 90s), Bandits, Unbreakable, sixth sense and looper are cool off the top of my head
    Yes, they're cool despite Willis starring in them and could be much better with an... Actor