Page 59 of 204 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    1917 will be one of those movies that falls between the seat cushions for me. Because, if I end up liking it, I can't put it on my best of 2019 as I won't have seen it in 2019, but I can't put it on my best of 2020 list since it has a 2019 date.

For a discussion of how Oscar-bait movies have moved to the last three months of the year, you guys should really check out "Charting with Dan" on SJU. Dan Murrell has pie-charts and everything.
    First world problems

My list is like what I see comes into the actual year. If I see Terminator 1984 in the year 2020, it will fall into the 2020 category. Its pretty easy...

Definitely first world problems. But I’ll admit I do wish prestige movies were more spread out. I like all kinds of movies and I like to watch all the movies that are either up for awards or should be up for awards. I guess the term is prestige movies... but with so many oriented towards the end of the year, I get kind of burnt out by them. Between movies being released in theaters or waiting for home releases, I end up seeing 30 to 40 movies in the last month of the year and it does start to wear me out.

I saw "Joker" and thought it was great.

Just got back from watching 1917. It was a hauntingly beautiful movie experience. I'm glad this was the first movie I went to watch in the theatres in 2020.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Motherless Brooklyn (2019)

It was a slick neo-noir and Norton did a good job with writing/directing/acting.

Bad boys 3 and really enjoyed it. The best film of the franchise imo. Happy they are setting up more possibly

The Matrix and Star Trek (2009) on Netflix.

Astonishing Member

Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix

I enjoy every Cloverfield movie up to date.

I watched the movie Black and Blue last night. I didn't think much of it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched the movie Black and Blue last night. I didn't think much of it.
    Which one is that? I get confused. Frank Grillo had two movies about Dirty cops that co stared a bald black guy come out at the same time. One with Mackie and another with Tyrese.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Which one is that? I get confused. Frank Grillo had two movies about Dirty cops that co stared a bald black guy come out at the same time. One with Mackie and another with Tyrese.
    It's the one with Tyrese. I thought it was gonna be crap going in but it was actually pretty good. Thunder and Luke Cage have some cameos.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 01-23-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Bad Boys 3. Wow great movie, great comeback for Martin.

Ray and Road to Perdition on Netflix

Retired

Watched MOONLIGHT (2016). It was okay for a depressing movie with a negative message. I have no problem with such movies, I liked JOKER, which had a stronger impact on me, but I knew that JOKER was going to be that kind of movie, all the press for it set me up with that expectation. I had been led to believe from all that was said about MOONLIGHT--it won Best Picture, afterall--that it was going to be a movie that left me feeling uplifted, inspired, with a positive message. Nothing could be further from the truth. You can find some slight bit of iight, at the last second of the movie, if you're looking for it. But if I was a teen, confused about my identity, up against abuse and violence in my life, I wouldn't have that insight--what I'd get out of this movie is "you're screwed"--might as well kill yourself or dull your pain with drugs or join a gang and, above all, hide your real self, even from yourself--because there is no hope.

The thing is, back in the 1980s, I went to several "Out on Screen" festivals and seminars--studying the history of how movies depicted gay life. One of the big tropes is that gay people are doomed--they often end up killing themselves if they come out. The big message in classic movies was that being gay gets you killed or at least destroys your life--so better not be gay! One doesn't expect every new movie with gay character to send a positive message, but kids need some ray of light in their lives. Sending negative messages is not going to give kids what they need to get to the other side. They need some kind of direction. MOONLIGHT just echos the tired old warnings about being black and being gay--I think this gives comfort to the intolerant who send out the very same message, that "those people" are doomed.

Also saw 1917. Yeah okay, give it the awards. It's great, but what I like about it is that it isn't really a completely realistic movie--there's realism in it, but its tale of survival challenged my credulity. It's more like a war story that Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert would tell. But I like those stories. It also has the Greek tragedy rules of Unity of Time, Unity of Place and Unity of Action. As good as the direction and the cinematography are, I think its best feature is the storytelling. Also, I can't see how stuntmen could have stood in for the two main actors in most of their action heavy scenes--for actors to put themselves in so much danger, that deserves a special reward. When I was in the military, we got danger pay for those kinds of actions.

BANNED

Yesterday I made The Rise of Skywalker a bakers dozen.