Page 116 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 3085

I understand your crossed feelings Jim. On the one hand you want Travers to have more of a say in how her creation is portrayed. On the other hand Mary Poppins is such a freak'n marvelous movie. probably much better than one that Travers would have wanted made. You root for Disney because we know the outcome is great. And it did make Travers rich.
    I doubt Travers was as curmudgeonly as depicted or Walt as lovable.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-16-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

That is why I have also resisted watching it. The cast is attractive, for sure, but I can't do a Walt as hero story. The man was many things, some of them great, but...

One thing about the movie, I had not seen Mary Poppins for years, probably since I was young. So the back story, and the viewpoint that Mary Poppins is about the redemption of Mr. Banks, and not about the children, was a cool revelation. It worked for me when I recently rewatched. I found that a more interesting part of SMB.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Dead Poets Society:

I was hoping to love it, cause I enjoy a good drama, and I enjoy high school movies. First half hour is fine and promising, but then it plummets to lots of cringe attitude and behavior, so I skipped to the end and cringed more.

Technically it's a well told story, but it's just not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    SAVING MR. BANKS (2013), directed by John Lee Hancock, starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks.

I resisted seeing this movie when it was out in theatres, because I knew the trick it was going to pull and I didn't want to play along, but at the library the other day looking for movies, I saw this and decided to take it out, since it does have Emma Thompson.
    I forced myself to watch 40 minutes of it before bouncing off. Actors of the stories present were very mumbly with lots of "umumumumum" tone to their speech, it disengages me to the story, and then there is the bouncing between past and present that made the story even less bearable.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Retired

PHANTOM LADY (1944), directed by Robert Siodmak, starring Ella Raines.

Siodmak is one of the masters of the Film Noir. His THE KILLERS (1946) is the text book Film Noir. In all movies of the genre, the main character descends into the Underworld--a figurative Underworld, but one populated with archetypal characters of the modern world. Usually the main character is a man, but in this movie I would say that "Kansas" (Ella Raines) is the main character, even though she doesn't appear until the second act. She's the one who explores this Underworld and must adapt to its dark landscape.

There's a fantastic scene, in the middle of the movie with Raines and Elisha Cook, Jr., which is on a whole 'nother level of twisted psychology and depravity.

The "Phantom Lady" of the title is one of those shifty title misdirections (like the Thin Man, the Maltese Falcon, the Lady in the Lake) that is part of the plot yet deceptively not. And it could refer to one Phantom Lady in the movie or to another. "Kansas" is not the Phantom Lady and yet she becomes a Phantom Lady in the movie's Underworld.

The Amazing Spider-Man, both of them

I don't get the hate, it's been explained to me so many times but I find the hate overrated. I love both movies, and the first of them is better written than all three live action Spider-Man movies succeeding it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post

I don't get the hate, it's been explained to me so many times but I find the hate overrated. I love both movies, and the first of them is better written than all three live action Spider-Man movies succeeding it.
    If you ask me, I was bored because it was another origin story, the rest of the movie wasn't bad. The second one was a cluster f***. The Rhino stuff at the end was pathetic.

Jurassic World: I have seen it for the first time yesterday. Was ok, but not nearly the impact Jurassic Park had. It was a bit much for me to accept that the Velociraptors were working as a tag team against the indominus rex.

Captain America: The First Avenger

This movie turns a decade old this year, Civil War turns 5, Markus & McFeely remaining steady as the writing team for all three Cap movies is a good thing cause this kept a consistent voice for the character.

Joe Johnston's direction is perfect for a vintage WW II period film, and the main theme has a really nice John Williams feel to it, like a mix of both Superman and Indiana Jones themes. If I didn't know better I'd question anyone telling me music is by Alan Silvestri.

And Red Skull is my favorite MCU villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    If you ask me, I was bored because it was another origin story, the rest of the movie wasn't bad. The second one was a cluster f***. The Rhino stuff at the end was pathetic.
    I never felt the need for the origin again 10 years later, but for that version I understand why they did it again, and it doesn't bother me.
    When I watched the sequel again I found that different threads connected better than I remember, and while it has some issues including Alexie himself the stuff with Rhino at the end is fine, but it sucks that trailers used the end shot of the movie with a fight that ended abruptly and is there to say "Make us a $1 billion and watch the sequel to see more of this fight".
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 01-19-2021 at 12:14 AM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

Watching the Living and the Dead on Youtube.

I'm hysterically offended by the parents being a big part of it. Can't really get past that, personally. Admittedly I have a closed mind on the matter.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Captain America: The Russo Brothers Sequels

I love them, but I normally love them more than I did recently, and I still think Zemo's plan is a bit too much on the elaborate side, even if the results of it are mostly well done. Currently I have First Avenger standing as my favorite Cap movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'm hysterically offended by the parents being a big part of it. Can't really get past that, personally. Admittedly I have a closed mind on the matter.
    I guess it's reasonable to not be a fan of this plot point, they did play significantly more with it than even USM comics did.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

Outside the Wire.

It was bad. Mostly it was just cliche and boring. It was just a collection of tropes. Nothing you haven't seen before. Nothing you haven't seen done better elsewhere. The best I could say about it is "average". It was average in every way. Completely unmemorable.

Having recently seen Anthony Mackie in a couple non Marvel movies, I am now of the opinion that he is not a good actor.

Retired

This is a bit of a spoiler, but I was watching the first HOP-A-LONG CASSIDY movie from 1935, which is essentially his origin story, and in it Uncle Ben dies.

Captain America: The Russo Brothers Sequels

I love them, but I normally love them more than I did recently, and I still think Zemo's plan is a bit too much on the elaborate side, even if the results of it are mostly well done. Currently I have First Avenger standing as my favorite Cap movie.
    FA is my favorite Cap movie and maybe even my favorite MCU movie, with the only real competition being Iron Man. There is just something about the journey of Steve Rogers, the Red Skull (played wonderfully by Hugo Weaving) and the supporting cast that gives me a great big man-crush on the movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Thor: Ragnarok:

My favorite MCU movie, that's why I saved it to watch it last.

New Mutants:

I'm having a pleasant time watching it now, feels like there is a good movie with some chains holding it back from unleashing the good movie to its fullest. Can't say it was worth three years of wait, but at least it's not anywhere near as unbearable as Dark Phoenix to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    FA is my favorite Cap movie and maybe even my favorite MCU movie, with the only real competition being Iron Man. There is just something about the journey of Steve Rogers, the Red Skull (played wonderfully by Hugo Weaving) and the supporting cast that gives me a great big man-crush on the movie.
    Good choice. It's easily my favorite phase one movie, and I love all 6 of them.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE