Page 96 of 206 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 3085
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I guess what confused me was why were the liberals joking about manorgate. Also, did they make a mistake with Crystal/Justice4Yall?

Also:

i have not seen a lot of Studio Ghibli movies, so I felt it was time to change that since a lot of them are available on Netflix Canada. Watched Princess Mononoke. Damn...2D animations are the ****! This is a fantastic movie.
    The corporation the liberals worked for was coming under a lot of scrutiny and some of them were losing their jobs. So they started the Manorgate joke as a private gag, but the emails got leaked and the public started to believe it. I believe that got the wrong Crystal. This is why spoilers:
    she seemed to have all this high end military training and was the only one smart enough to survive.
    end of spoilers

I'm not an expert on Ghibli movies but I would highly recommend "Graveyard of Fireflies". Word of warning, it's very depressing. I think it's great, but I was kinda shocked to see that it won some sort of international children's movie award.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    POINT BREAK (1991), directed by Kathryn Bigelow, starring Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves. If I had paid money to see this movie when it came out, I would have said it was a total waste of money and a horrible movie. By virtue of having Swayze and Reeves in a movie together, I can almost say it was worth the time. Within the movie, the only rationale for why their characters make the stupid decisions they make is that they must have fallen in love with each other at first sight and they're willing to put everyone else in danger so they can be together. Outside the movie, the rationale for the director seems to be this would make a good visual, so forget about plot, let's just have these guys do this stuff for the sake of it looking good on screen.
    I truly always thought this was supposed to be the subtext.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I truly always thought this was supposed to be the subtext.
    Without giving away any spoilers, what underlined that subtext for me at the end was the total absence of the supposed female love interest--so she actually doesn't matter, she was just a plot device.

Astonishing Member

Exodus: Pretty big cast and heavy cgi use. A good story but it lacks real emotions.

Without giving away any spoilers, what underlined that subtext for me at the end was the total absence of the supposed female love interest--so she actually doesn't matter, she was just a plot device.
    Oh the movie is definitely a bro-off. But thats what makes it great - the interactions between Swayze and Reeves. Bill and Ted movies have the same kind of vibe. Heck you could argue that many, many movies follow the pattern of being a bro-off (but we're not gay, not that there's anything wrong with that!) vibe.

Read into it as you will. People like Batman for a lot of the same kinds of reasons (shots fired!)
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

PALM SPRINGS (2020), directed by Max Barbakow, starring Andy Samberg and Christin Milioti: Best movie of the summer (emphatic period)!
    Not a lot of competition, though. I thought it was fun. I don't think it landed with me the way it was intended, or did with other people.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved Palm Springs. I thought it was an interesting take on the "Groundhog Day" formula, and Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti had such a great chemistry. Plus JK Simmons as Roy was just fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The corporation the liberals worked for was coming under a lot of scrutiny and some of them were losing their jobs. So they started the Manorgate joke as a private gag, but the emails got leaked and the public started to believe it. I believe that got the wrong Crystal. This is why spoilers:
    she seemed to have all this high end military training and was the only one smart enough to survive.
    end of spoilers

I'm not an expert on Ghibli movies but I would highly recommend "Graveyard of Fireflies". Word of warning, it's very depressing. I think it's great, but I was kinda shocked to see that it won some sort of international children's movie award.
    Ah, ok...that makes sense. I guess I was overthinking it. I thought they were already doing the thing they were getting accused of, got caught joking about it due to the chat leak and then chose their targets.

As for Grave of Fireflies, not only have I watched it...I own the Blu ray. Fantastic movie, but WOW...hard not to get all choked up at the end.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member

IT Part 2

I heard bad things about it before, but was surprised how much fun I had with the movie.

Its a horror movie with comedy that never gets silly. The characters are funny , but it doesn't distract you from the horror scenes. Me and my friend had to laugh more than in a real comedy, and at the same time were in awe of the cgi. Usually I dislike cgi or the heavy use of cgi these days, but in It you couldn't tell what was practical and what is cgi.
    Look at the giant Lumberjack. Damn great.

Sidenote: At the beginning where the boy got thrown off the bridge and took a beating before, his friend was shouting "Adrianne" all the time. His face was covered in blood and he was yelling Adrianne...we had to laugh about that so hard because it reminded us of the end of Rocky. I asked myself if that was intentional?

Old Guard. OK, but the changes from the comic were not an improvement. They were a detriment.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Old Guard. OK, but the changes from the comic were not an improvement. They were a detriment.
    Rucka who wrote the comic also wrote the screenplay and made changes for the director, agreeing they are improvements. Haven't watched the movie because I didn't like the comic.

Changeling (director Clint Eastwood, written by J.Michael Straczynski (Thor,Babylon5), starring Angelina Jolie)
    Wanted to watch it for years and finally saw it on TV. Loved it. Single writer, old school director, not a fan of Jolie but she does very well. The less you know about the movie the better. Fascinating, dark and not for the faint of heart. The year was 2008 and if the movie had come out a different year among lesser movies it would have been a bigger success and not forgotten
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 07-16-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Rucka who wrote the comic also wrote the screenplay and made changes for the director, agreeing they are improvements. Haven't watched the movie because I didn't like the comic.
    I wouldn't expect Rucka to say "They made me change it, and it made it worst". But whatever he thinks, it did not improve it. My opinion, having consumed both, is the comic was much better. You might like the movie more, having not liked the comic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I wouldn't expect Rucka to say "They made me change it, and it made it worst". But whatever he thinks, it did not improve it. My opinion, having consumed both, is the comic was much better. You might like the movie more, having not liked the comic.
    The comics artist has talked Rucka into doing a sequel to Old Guard (a standalone initially) and I'm always happy for more Rucka coming my way (Stumptown), just one of my favourite writers

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The comics artist has talked Rucka into doing a sequel to Old Guard (a standalone initially) and I'm always happy for more Rucka coming my way (Stumptown), just one of my favourite writers
    Out now, called "Force Multiplied".

NINJA (2009). Starring Scott Adkins

Some hokey nonsense that is worth recommending, it's hilarious how bad the bad is in it like inconsistency of characters switching between Japanese dialogue and English dialogue, and other nonsense sprinkled through the movie. It has exposition you don't need to hear, detective work that is hilarious, an American guy who stayed in Japan more than half his life but still maintained an American passport, most of the scenes have Scott Adkins lines sound like they were dubbed by someone else except for one scene......

At least the action is good and fun to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Escape Plan

Stallone and Ahnold team up to escape a "super" high security prison. Yah it was dumb. Guess there were two sequels, though, so what do I know
    I like this movie enough to want to watch it again.
    I heard the sequel poster shows Stallone but he's just a cameo in a movie starring almost solely Dave Bautista and effects are toys that are obvious toys, and the third movie is a prequel. This is where I skip.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage