Page 120 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 3085

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    SUPERMAN (1978), directed by Richard Donner.

A young man from out of town has his ups and downs working at a big city newspaper.
    You forgot he was wearing a baaad outfit!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

The Accountant: With Ben Affleck. Ironically he was a better Batman in this than in Batman Vs. Superman. It's about a high functioning autistic man who launders money for criminal organizations. And who does some other side jobs. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but it's well worth the watch.

The Equalizer 2: With Denzel Washington. I liked it much better than the first film, and ignoring the shoot em up stuff. The most touching parts was how he affected people's lives. Almost brought me to tears.

From Russia With Love: Because of lock down/gym closures I've started a Bond re-watch. It was okay, very close to the book and less outlandish than some of the other Bond films.

The Man With The Golden Gun: Now some decades older I can see why fans have such contempt for Roger Moore's Bond films. It's just silly, but I finished it.

It's a G-rated Fast and the Furious type film.

Retired

I CARE A LOT (2020), written and directed by J Blakeson, starring Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage.

Rosamund Pike plays one of the most evil, most irredeemable villains I've seen on screen. She's a monster and that's not a spoiler; it's established at the outset of the movie. Is she a villain you love to hate?

It's hard to talk about that without getting deep into spoilers. So I have to be vague and not explain exactly how the movie let me down.

However, there are certain expectations set up in the first part of the movie that need to be paid off in the second half of the movie and I didn't get that pay-off. I can see why the director thought denying the audience that satisfaction was better, but I really really needed that pay-off.

For anyone who isn't a total sociopath, this movie can be a tough watch at times--all the more so because it's about bad stuff that actually does happen. That discomfort might get in the way of enjoying the performances, but there's are some delicious scenes between the actors.

Superbad (2007)
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Default just watch:

just did a double feature. I watched Queen & Slim (2019), dir. Melina Matsoukas and written by Lena Waithe, which led to watching a review on it that pointed me toward this blaxploitation film called Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971), auteured by Melvin Van Peebles, which I promptly watched afterward.

Queen & Slim was sweet but poignant (if a little by the numbers) protest film. it very much goes the way you imagine what a "black bonnie & clyde" story would go in 2019. so, admittedly, in a way it feels pretty dated, but it executes it's tropes tastefully, so it's dated in the sense that it feels like a nice time capsule of civil unrest at the time. it's a solid date movie, assuming you and your date are invested in the subject matter.

in the other hand, Sweetback was...wild. it's probably one of the oddest films I've ever seen. it's almost like an impressionist painting or (and this is gonna sound pretentious as ****) like jazz. like the form is rough, there are moments where the cinematography just about completely breaks down, but it's more about the feeling it's communicating even in those moments of objectivity badly composed visuals; and I kinda dug that. I dug how effectively it got the feeling across and left an impression through all the wild **** going on. it's like a blaxploitation art film. that being said, it is an exploitation film FORREAL for real. I mean it's about a male prostitute who kills a cop and has to go on the run but even before that, right up top, there is a scene that can be seen as pretty despicable by today standards. it is 1000% not a film for everyone, but I enjoyed it for what it was.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-27-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Anomaly 2014=Noel Clarke. Was kinda like a low budget Tenet. But this movie came out about 7 years before Tenet and the fights were better lol.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-25-2021 at 07:41 PM.

A History of Time Travel. On Amazon Prime. Very well done little pseudo documentary (actually a film graduates movie). You have to pay attention to some subtle things as it goes on.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    A History of Time Travel. On Amazon Prime. Very well done little pseudo documentary (actually a film graduates movie). You have to pay attention to some subtle things as it goes on.
    I like how reality keeps shifting for the interview subjects, without them knowing it has. But that does make one wonder how the documentary crew were able to assemble the film we're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I like how reality keeps shifting for the interview subjects, without them knowing it has. But that does make one wonder how the documentary crew were able to assemble the film we're seeing.
    We are watching it from another Universe outside of those in the film.

Retired

DER GÖTTLICHE ANDERE (2020)--in English it's called DIVINE, although IMDb has it listed as THE BIG OTHER, the actual translation is "The Godly Other"--written and directed by Jan Schomburg, starring Callum Turner and Matilda de Angelis.

Very cute and delightful movie. Gave me a lot of laughs. It's a German movie, the story is set in Rome, it's mostly in English, with some Italian (you can find a version in German, too) and it was filmed in Germany and Italy. From beginning to end, every minute is worth the watch.

I watched All My Life last night.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

Red Riding Hood: while not a very good movie, I enjoyed it on a lazy evening.

Retired

I saw two movies from the pre-code era starring Canada's own Norma Shearer--THE DIVORCEE (1930) and A FREE SOUL (1931). Even though Shearer plays a free spirit in both, ultimately she gets married and accepts a rather rigid moral code.

THE DIVORCEE was pretty much like a lot of other pictures I've seen from that peiriod, yet Shearer won the Academy Award for her role in that movie. Personally, I don't get what's so great about her compared with other leading ladies of the period. Her acting doesn't stand comparison to Barbara Stanwyck or Joan Blondell. But maybe she appealed to the tastes of the times--or maybe she got parts because she was married to Irving Thalberg.

A FREE SOUL is the more interesting movie, as it also stars Lionel Barrymore, Clark Gable and Leslie Howard. The story is fascinating with Barrymore as an alcoholic lawyer, father to Shearer, and Gable as a charming rogue, the man who seduces Shearer. But it contains a lot of negative stereotypes. Gable's servant is played by a man in yellow-face. It seems like Gable is going to be the good bad guy--but Barrymore calls him a mongrel and someone from the wrong side of the tracks who is not fit to marry his daughter. And the movie promotes that idea--that someone like this guy, with his bloodline and his low class roots cannot possibly marry into a class of people with breeding and education. Whereas, Leslie Howard is the right sort, from a good family, etc.

Gable seemed to play these loathsome no-goods from the wrong side of town, during this period, and it makes me wonder if he was type cast like that because his physical appearance was considered vulgar at the time. But as tastes changed, that type of guy--the burly man's man--became the new hero and the Leslie Howard type went out of fashion.

Coming 2 America.

I thought it was a fun romp.