Page 51 of 204 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

They seemed to be putting some theatrical movies like this and Lady and the Tramp straight to streaming to help Disney+.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

"Memoirs of an International Assassin"

It was better than i thought.

The Grudge
    Me, Myself & Irene
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

"Glass" interesting, but not completely successful, I would say the weakest of the trilogy.

"Overlord" Fun! A bit gruesome, but fun.

"Garden of Words" Beautiful and tender, as I would expect from Shinkai, but the ages of the protagonists bothered me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Once upon a time in Hollywood. Wow what a fuckin movie. Definitely a Tarantino masterpiece.

You've Got Mail - I love romantic comedies. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan coming together again for another feel good movie. I had already seen this movie a bunch of times, but I wanted to watch it again.

Halloween (2018) - I had never seen a Halloween movie before, so this was my first exposure. I had heard good things about this movie, so I gave it a shot. Not bad.

Blackfish - I don't watch a lot of documentaries, but every once in a while I like to check ones out. Great documentary.

Astonishing Member

El Camino- The Breaking Bad movie: Redundant, had nothing new to say. Just fanboy pleasing.

Dark Places: Very good crime, not as good as Gone Girl, though.

Retired

Finally watched PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES directed by John Hughes, starring Steve Martin and the late great John Candy. I was in a mood to see a quintessential American Thanksgiving movie and I figured this was it. However, it's quite the horror story--makes JOKER seem like a day at the park. Necessary surprising factoid: Kevin Bacon has an uncredited scene in the movie! That's worthwhile intell for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Extraordinary Member

The Irishman- Nothing new to see here except a bad physical performance by Robert De-Niro. Who looks like he's doing the chickenwing while stomping somebody out. A weird melding of de-aging cgi and geriatric body movements. A by the numbers Scorsese flick. Also could have been 40min shorter. The epilogue showing wheel chair bound ancient gangsters dying in jail. didn't really serve any purpose.

The irony here is the character Frank explains how his daughter became close to Hoffa because he was a kid-friendly guy who appeared to be helping ppl. But yet Scorsese doesn't the appeal of the MCU. Also funny how ppl can say a few bad cgi scenes in BP ruined the movie for them but had no problem sitting through 3 hours of bad cgi in this movie. smdh...

Fantastic Member

I saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood the other day and loved it. While Hanks doesn't really look like Fred Rogers, he certainly channeled his persona. It brought back fond memories of the show and made me realize what a truly wonderful human being he was.

Retired

The director I have the greatest affection for is Eric Rohmer. On the surface, his movies seem light, with lots of dialogue and long takes, about people in ordinary circumstances--yet his movies always have a deep meaning below the surface. He lets the actors improvise their scenes and there's a nice naturalism to the performances. But it's been many years since I watched all of Rohmer's movies, so I want to rewatch them all again.

The first one I've rewatched is LA COLLECTIONEUSE (1967)--Rohmer's first feature-length movie, which I saw so long ago that I barely remembered it. This stars Patrick Bauchau, who has a distinctive voice (in French or English). I know I've seen him in other things, but he's so young, tall and handsome here that I couldn't match the face with the voice. Only later it came to me that he's a much older character actor who has appeared in many TV shows over the years. Makes me a little sad--why do people have to age?

Some horror movies.

Occulus
    : not bad, very predictable ending though. Mama, pretty interesting. Drag me to hell, good concept but average movie, poor acting and lot, lot, LOT of nonsensical scenes. We are still there, meh, nothing special, kinda bored me really.

Mama clearly was the best of the lot i would say. Even with that ridiculous ending lol. And yeah, all ghost movies. Cause ghosts and monsters are pretty much the only kind of horror movies i enjoy.

Astonishing Member

Drag me to Hell: The most disturbing scenes are the ones with the old lady, where she spits out something ugly, or loses her false teeth. Its a bad movie but I think its done on purpose, to recreate the 80ís

Beneath: Quite good, nothing special and nothing new under the sun...or the coal mine. Solid Horror, wasn't boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Some horror movies.

Occulus
    : not bad, very predictable ending though. Mama, pretty interesting. Drag me to hell, good concept but average movie, poor acting and lot, lot, LOT of nonsensical scenes. We are still there, meh, nothing special, kinda bored me really.

Mama clearly was the best of the lot i would say. Even with that ridiculous ending lol. And yeah, all ghost movies. Cause ghosts and monsters are pretty much the only kind of horror movies i enjoy.
    I actually thought Oculus and Mama were pretty good. I thought Oculus had the better ending. Like you, I like supernatural horror, rather than the gory stuff.

Watched a bunch of stuff:

Free Solo
    Outlander
    Final Destination
    Enemy at the Gates
    My Cousin Vinny
    Knowing (again)
    Birdman
    Law Abiding Citizen
    Phenomenon
    The Shape of Water (Finally)

Retired

MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S (1969) directed by Eric Rohmer, starring Jean-Louis Trintignant. This is one of my favourite movies of all time. Surprisingly, it won the Oscar for best foreign language film. Surprising because I doubt a movie this small would ever win the Oscar now.

One of the things I loved about it the first time was the pleasure of people in conversation--talking about things trivial and important. I could stay with these character forever, listening in on their conversations. I guess when I was a young man, I longed to have these kinds of conversations, too.

It's really a detective story. Trying to figure out what makes these people tick, how honest they are about themselves, how much they're self-deluded, and how much they want to remain in a delusion. There is a mystery here that slowly comes together until the penny drops at the last moment of the movie.