Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Ultimate Member

Strangers on a Train-very cool although the climax spoilers:
    the fight on the merry go round
    end of spoilers is kinda odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Wind River & Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
    I was just thinking about Wind River today. I love that movie.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Strangers on a Train-very cool although the climax spoilers:
    the fight on the merry go round
    end of spoilers is kinda odd.
    You might find it odd, but it's textbook Hitchcock. Many of his movies came to a climax in a similar fashion. Take it from me, I've seen every Hitchcock movie ever made. Such endings were probably the thing that gave him the most joy.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I was just thinking about Wind River today. I love that movie.
    My cousin was getting tired of superhero movies and wanted to watch something real. I gave her a few options and she chose Wind River. She really liked it. It was like my 15th time watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Wind River & Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
    I've been wanting to watch Fellowship again soon. Such a great movie, it came out shortly after 9/11 and really helped heal some of those wounds. Especially the lines they transmitted to Gandalf, when the group first enters Moria.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

In my semi-annual Beatles marathon, I've watched A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964), HELP! (1965) and MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (1967)--the first two directed by Richard Lester and the last one directed by the Beatles.

I love A HARD DAY'S NIGHT so much--it's on my list as one of the best movies of all time--I get so much out of it each time that I watch it (which is a lot). It's minimalistic in its production. The producers hoped to make a quick buck off the Beatles fad, sinking little money into it. Which gives it that raw, black & white cinema verité quality. And the movie made millions (perhaps billions) for its investors. It also spawned one of the best Beatles albums--the first one where Lennon & McCartney composed every song on the LP.

HELP! by contrast is a movie that I almost hate for its offensive stereotypes and just a very boring plot that drags on--but the first part of the movie has some of the best bits. I always get a thrill out of seeing the Beatles living together in their weird house and Paul's organ with the Superman comics instead of sheet music. HELP! has a lot of brilliant little touches but they're in service of a dreadful story. And it shows the Beatles at the height of their fame where no one could say no to them--so they exploited that, using the movie to subsidize their holidays and whims. Nevertheless, they were good sports--doing their own stunts throughout the movie, which seems quite reckless given how much they were worth to the world. George Harrison performs a stunt on the hood of a speeding car (and it's clearly him, not a stunt double), near the end of the movie, that makes me question the sanity of the director and everyone else involved.

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR is like those home movies, where someone tried to do a story on the fly, without really knowing how to make it all work. It's just that it was Paul with his three friends and a load of money to take their family and a few actual actors on a bus trip. The performance by Richard B. Starkey and Jessie Robins is top notch. And as long as you're not expecting an actual story, the fun is in seeing these people hanging out together. George Harrison puts minimal effort into the affair, but it's nice to see the friendship between him and John Lennon on screen. And one can tell that John was an entertaining sort of fellow to hang around with. So as a time capsule from the 1960s, the mini-movie is worth the watch. Plus some good songs and funky wardrobe.

Jim Kelly, did you know Peter Jackson is working on a documentary using all the raw footage shot during Let It Be.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

I heard that Peter Jackson was interested in doing that with the LET IT BE footage. I didn't know if he was actually going ahead with it. Interesting factoid, the original director of the LET IT BE movie was Michael Lindsay-Hogg, whose biological father was reputed to be Orson Welles by DNA tests, although his mother, Geraldine Fitzgerald, never said so while she was alive.

From January;
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-it-be-786380/

And speaking of Jackson, if anyone has not seen "They Shall Not Grow Old", do so. It is a remarkable achievement.

For the Beatles, I would also recommend Ron Howard's "8 Days a Week" documentary.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

For me, "A Quiet Place" . I was not disappointed. Krasinski did a masterful job.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    From January;
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-it-be-786380/

And speaking of Jackson, if anyone has not seen "They Shall Not Grow Old", do so. It is a remarkable achievement.

For the Beatles, I would also recommend Ron Howard's "8 Days a Week" documentary.
    Supposedly Paul and Ringo think that the original version of LET IT BE damages the Beatles' legacy. I don't know--I think it does nothing of the sort and it wasn't the end of the Beatles, as some say. They came back from those sessions with ABBEY ROAD. I call that a triumph.

I have 8 DAYS A WEEK on DVD. I first saw this movie in its limited theatrical run and at that showing, after the movie itself, there was the entire Shea Stadium concert with great picture and sound. So I was looking forward to having that on the DVD, but my copy has no such concert included.

The original title for HELP! (the movie) was supposed to be "8 Arms to Hold You"--"8 Days a Week" is one of my favourite songs, but it's hard to imagine what Lennon & McCartney could have done with the lyrics "eight arms to hold you."

Another movie that the Beatles wanted to make was THE LORD OF THE RINGS. Imagine, John as Gollum, Paul as Frodo, Ringo as Sam and George as Gandalf.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 06-08-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Retired

MY MAN GODFREY (1936), directed by Gregory La Cava, starring William Powell and Carole Lombard. I was moved to watch this film after hearing a shortened version of it on THE LUX RADIO THEATER, from Old Time Radio. Powell and Lombard also starred in that broadcast. The co-writer of the film (and author of the novel on which it’s based), Eric Hatch, was also a guest and he explained to host Cecil B. DeMille that when they made the movie they didn't use a full script and scenes were improvised by the actors. I enjoyed the radio play so much that I had to see the movie, which is such a great picture that no words can do it justice.

Powell and Lombard were in fact married but had divorced by the time they made the movie (they stayed good friends). I love both actors and I wish they got more recognition. In particular Lombard, who sadly left the world too soon--having died in an airplane crash at the beginning of 1942. MY MAN GODFREY was made during the Great Depression and the picture has a clear-eyed sense of the great divide between folks who are at the bottom in society and those that are at the top, while still finding the humour in it all.

AWAY WE GO (2009), directed by Sam Mendes, starring John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph; ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE (2019), directed by Nahnatchka Khan, starring Ali Wong and Randall Park. It’s great to have rom-coms that don’t discriminate against diverse couples and give them the same inane plots that the typical white American romantic couples have had for generations. But what drives me crazy in all these stories is the warped perspective on lower to middle income people by Hollywood writers, who seem to be disconnected from the realities the rest of us have to face.

In AWAY WE GO, the couple are supposed to have not “made it” yet and are struggling, yet they rent cars and buy last minute tickets on airplanes and trains that take them all across North America--while expecting a baby and presumably having medical bills and other expenditures to look forward to--as if they have an inexhaustible supply of money. And it turns out that they both have houses they could be living in without any expense, yet they spend the whole movie looking for other residences in various cities and towns where they might settle down to raise their kid. They are supposed to be a relatable couple, without means--yet ultimately they have so many means, it’s not funny.

Then in ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE, Randall Park’s character has a good life in San Francisco, he’s got a good job, lives in a great neighbourhood, has friends and family, is doing the things he loves--but somehow Ali Wong’s character thinks he isn’t having the best possible life he could have. And we’re supposed to believe she’s right, despite all the evidence that he’s at the station of life best suited to him. Meanwhile, her character seems to have become a celebrity chef by magic--we never really see how she got from point A to point B in her career. Apparently it’s super-easy, barely an inconvenience, to have it all and if you don’t, then there must be something wrong with you. And Randall Park’s character also flies across the continent, at a moment’s notice--and somehow he can afford to do that, even though he’s supposed to be a poor schmo like the rest of us.

DOWN WITH LOVE
    (2003), directed by Peyton Reed, starring Ewan McGregor and Renée Zellweger. This rom-com tries its darndest to be like those movies that starred Rock Hudson and Doris Day or Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee. In fact, Bobby did a great cover of the song “Down With Love” back in the day and I half expected to hear it in this movie, but instead we got Judy Garland. The thing that this movie really needed was some song and dance numbers from the leads and we almost got none of that until after the movie was effectively over and we were into the credits. Then McGregor and Zellweger knock it out of the park with a number that has more energy than the previous film--which was a little too cool to let its stars break into song. Yet if the stars were up for this kind of musical performance, I don’t understand why that wasn’t incorporated into the movie proper. That could have made an okay comedy into a stupendous triumph.

The picture does a good job of mocking the conventions of rom-coms, where it’s so easy for someone to become a big success overnight and that’s simply the means to an end for the sake of the plot. So you can't really fault it for the stupidity as that's the point of the yarn. Sarah Paulson also appears in the movie opposite David Hyde Pierce--she thinks he’s gay but wants to marry him anyway. The queer baiting is off the charts for this one. I wish they had actually outed these characters--instead of leaving us to wonder about their subtext.

Baby Driver & The Whole Nine Yards - on Netflix