Page 141 of 208 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 3109
    Extraordinary Member

Watching Squid Game on netflix. Haven't watched anything this weird and violent in a long time.

The Protege-Maggie Q. This is how it should be done.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 09-23-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Dune

I feel indifferent about it. I know nothing about the book, just played the game a long time ago and have seen the original movie. (I almost switched it off)

Great cast, sound and pictures for the new one, thats for sure. But it didnt move me in any way because I couldn't get invested in the characters. Left me cold, but I will go see the second part when it comes out.

By the way, where did the Baron Harkonnen get his powers? Or what are even his powers. I don't understand the character.
    I find a lot of Denis Villeneuve is a filmmaker that tends to leave me cold. His films are clearly well made, but I just struggle to invest in them. At least that's been the case with Sicario and Blade Runner. I really liked Prisoners and I loved Arrival. But even though, I liked them they are still on the colder side.

Astonishing Member

Really liked The Night House. She was outside my radar before but after Godzilla vs Kong and this I'll have to keep an eye on Rebecca Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Yes, I meant the floating. I read too much superhero comics, so I thought he could fly, lol.

Baron Harkonnen suffers from a few of the 7 deady sins, particularly gluttony and sloth. He's obese & lazy, he uses that anti-gravity device so he won't have to over-exert himself with such extreme physical acts as walking or squatting down to sit.

I tried watching Once Upon a Time in America, Sergeo Leone's final film starring Robert De Niro & James Woods. I don't particularly care for Woods (He's a mid-level actor, if that), but I was quite looking forward to finally watching this film.

I couldn't get into it.....I gave it a 1-hour chance (It's a 3hr 49 min film)......First off, the movie's really slow. Keep in mind one of my favorite films is The Hours, which isn't exactly a fast-paced film, so I usually don't have a problem with that. Most of the first hour is an aged De Niro wandering around his friend's bar, then we see teenage De Niro (another actor) being a peeping tom, watching a young Jennifer Connelly practice ballet. He's watching from what passed for a bathroom back then, and bumps into a guy taking a leak, which was heartwarming.

Later in the film, we see teenage De Niro taking a dump in his apt unit's community bathroom, then notices a girl he likes (Who we later find out is an underage prostitute) is walking toward the bathroom, so he excitedly unlocks the door and sits back down. She walks in on him, he flashes his schlong, convinces her to flash her nether regions to him, he starts feeling her up, then she needs to undergo her own bowel movement and sits on the toilet and asks him to leave......Now that's the pinnacle of cinema!!!!

A friend of mine told me I need to give it another hour's chance. I don't doubt the film gets better, but I really don't feel like diving back into this......Especially after we see the corrupt community cop banging the underage prostitute on a rooftop, then teenage De Niro & teenage James Woods get their turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Inception is a masterpiece. And yes, it is easier to follow because it is in straight linear time, even if that time is occurring at four different speeds.
    Tenet has time moving backward and forward, sometimes in the same scene. It is very ambitious, but it does take a lot of thinking to stay with the plot. It is a movie that needs two or three viewings.
    Inception is the better film, but I think many dismissed Tenet because it is a confusing film.
    I had no problem following Inception when I first saw it. A long as I kept track of the various dream layers, it wasn't confusing.
    With Tenet, I had to go back and think about it and rewatch some to follow the back and forth time.

Tenet was unconventional, but I didn't have problems following the plot. I'm sure it would be easier to follow on a rewatch, but I didn't care much for the film. It wasn't bad, I just didn't like it much.

Inception, on the other hand, was pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think that is why Cruella worked. I get that most of the live action remakes were successful, but the ones that weren't shot for shot redos, like Lion King, Beauty and Aladin, weren't worth watching in my opinion.
    Give me more Cruella, Jungle Book and Malificent.
    You guys just convinced me to watch Cruella, I'll check it out.

That said, I didn't like Maleficent. Jolie was perfectly cast and did a great job with the role, but it was kind of an average film, and I'm not too into these attempts at humanizing classic villains. The live-action version of Mulan was OK, although I never watched the Disney animated film, so I can't compare. I was told by a fan of the original Disney film that it was a let-down due to a dragon not being included in the live-action version.

I saw F9 - The Fast Saga last night. Big dumb nonsensical and highly impossible ridiculousness. LOVED IT!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Last week I saw Radiograph of a Family by Iranian filmmaker Firouzeh Khosrovani; it's a loving portrait of and tribute to her parents: her father, who studied medicine in Switzerland and doted with Western culture and classical music, and her mother who had a strict religious upbringing and can't find her footing while living in Switzerland-- the couple eventually moves back to Iran, where soon the Shah is dethroned and Ayatollah Khomeiny seizes control; her father finds himself having to downplay his secular pursuits even in their own house, as her pious mother gets an important job as a teacher. It's part biographical documentary, part artistic narrative, with actors voicing the conversations between her mother and father, using a mixture of filmed footage and photographs from the era. A very personal film by Khosrovani, I thought it was an interesting and moving experience.

Today, I saw Supernova, directed by Harry MacQueen and starring Stanley Tucci and Colin Firth as a couple - Tusker, a writer and Sam, a pianist -- Tusker suffers from early-stage dementia which is progressively getting worse, Sam wishes to retire after one final recital, so that they can move into a country house and he can dedicate all his time to caring for Tusker-- but Tusker has other plans. Very strong emotionally driven performance from Tucci and Firth. It's a really tough but sadly very topical subject for a lot of people. The Father, starring anthony Hopkins, covers similar subject matter, but I still haven't seen it yet. Earlier this year I also saw Blackbird, which touches some of the same notes as Supernova does, but in which a main character is suffering from muscular atrophy, not dementia. But it does all these movies an injustice to draw comparisons-- at least Blackbird and Supernova are, in spite of similarities, very different movies, each imo excellent in their own way, each with a very different tone, though both managed to pull on my heart strings. Amazing stuff from Tucci and Firth.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I watched the 2018 Halloween movie last night in preparation for the sequel in a couple weeks. It was fine. I enjoyed it. It was well made, well shot, well acted, but it's hard to say it was great. It also made the sin of hyping up a character's skills, which went out the window in the end to create tension. Also, none of the deaths "mattered." There were three characters that were close to the main character and by the end of the film, we are given no indication that she even knows they're dead, which to me is bad storytelling.

I saw Malignant. Enjoyed it a lot, campy horror flicks are my favorite.

And before that I saw Fantastic Planet. Trippy AF, very slow paced movie. I also watched it in the original French voice acting with subtitles which made it even more trippy. Not sure if I would recommend it unless you’re really in the mood for something bizarre.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-26-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Watched The Big Hit (1998), A funny AF action-comedy with an excellent cast

I just watched antichrist by von trier again after ordering the criterion blu ray. Chaos reigns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    Watched The Big Hit (1998), A funny AF action-comedy with an excellent cast
    "Improv? What are you, Meryl f***ing Streep? Okay, improv the note!"
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I've watched the first three Disney movies Hayley Mills made recently.

With Pollyanna and The Parent Trap, the DVDs I have (inherited from my mom) were the 40th anniversary editions so there was a ton of bonus material that I got to see for the first time.

Meanwhile, last's night's viewing of In Search Of The Castaways was the first time I'd seen that particular movie. And it will be the last time too. I love me some Hayley Mills, but this was a preposterously bad movie.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I've watched the first three Disney movies Hayley Mills made recently.

With Pollyanna and The Parent Trap, the DVDs I have (inherited from my mom) were the 40th anniversary editions so there was a ton of bonus material that I got to see for the first time.

Meanwhile, last's night's viewing of In Search Of The Castaways was the first time I'd seen that particular movie. And it will be the last time too. I love me some Hayley Mills, but this was a preposterously bad movie.
    I loved In Search of the Castaways. It was my favorite Disney live action when I was growing up. Of course I was 7 at the time, so perhaps I should not rewatch it to keep my childhood memories intact.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Shang-Chi: Legend of 10 Rings

Grade: B+
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime