Page 17 of 206 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Just watched a French movie called Love me If you Dare. A great mind F*** of a movie about how a game or dare takes over the lives of two people. And how they learn they cant live with each other but cant live apart. Its a great watch. I say go for it if you have the chance.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

THE UPSIDE is coming out this week, starring Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart, but it appears the studio is dumping it in the January graveyard. Too bad, because it's based on a French movie that was an international hit, LES INTOUCHABLES from 2011 (loosely based on a true story). I guess the American remake isn't up to the same standard, but I'd recommend looking for the original French movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    So I watched THE FAVOURITE and last month I watched THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (as I posted on here back then) and I have to give Yorgos Lanthimos 10 out of 10 for making exactly the movie he wants to make--in terms of craft, I can't fault him there. Cinematically, THE FAVOURITE is like a cross between a Peter Greenaway movie and a Josef von Sternberg movie. However, on terms of what his movies have to say, I would give a zero.

I just don't agree with him. He seems to hate people. There is not one redeemable character in his movies. Everyone is bad and maybe even deserves the horrible fate they get. And I'm not sure what his goal is in delivering this message. There is a passing reference to Jonathan Swift in THE FAVOURITE and Swift was a well-known misanthrope, yet his writing is so sparkling and witty that he comes off as a wide-eyed optimist compared with Lanthimos.

I don't know if these two movies are representative of Lanthimos' other movies--but I'm rather scared to check out THE LOBSTER or DOGTOOTH, for fear of going further down the same wretched path.
    Hmm... I didn't really get that at all out of The Favourite. I mean, it's certainly not a feel good movie and I don't think any of the characters are what one would call good people, I don't think that's a bad thing. It's just a different perspective. To me, he's more making a comment on royalty and nobility rather than a sweeping statement about humanity as a whole. The movie is essentially a farce rather than to be taken 100% at face value.

Retired

One of the things that undermined THE FAVOURITE for me is that they drop in these little anachronisms throughout the movie. I know that the basic story is true, yet I couldn't really trust the narrative because of all these little winks to the camera. All of it could be disingenuous, so why invest in any of the characters. As far as gender politics goes, you can hardly have faith in any of the women, because they're so abusive toward each other. It's not a celebration of female power, if all the women end up in a bad place. Even if their history had gone down a different road, there would be no good outcome for them. They are doomed. And it's not like this is only a problem of the elites. Everyone, no matter the station they're at, male or female, is horrible to everyone else. I know it's supposed to be funny, but that kind of humour does nothing for me. So it was more of a technical accomplishment for me--use of wide angle lens, choices in the framing, natural light.

Revenge of the Nerds
    Weird Science

They happened to be on last night, so I watched them. Of the two, I'd say Revenge holds up better. But man you couldn't get away with 90 percent of that crap in today's world!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Revenge of the Nerds
    Weird Science

They happened to be on last night, so I watched them. Of the two, I'd say Revenge holds up better. But man you couldn't get away with 90 percent of that crap in today's world!
    I remember being bothered by Weird Science like 20yrs ago when I saw it ( weird racial and sexual humor). But Revenge of the Nerds and Sixteen Candlescome up a lot in discussions these days about rape in films that weren't treated as rape back in the day.

Astonishing Member

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Boom, Bang, Kaboom...nothing more. Kind of dumb with bad CGI. Good to give your brain a rest.

Vampire Hunter D

As far as Japanese animated movies go the films I enjoyed are more than the ones I care less about, and I couldn't enjoy this movie, it's boring.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Molly's Game. Very good directorial debut by Aaron Sorkin. Wonderful Chastain.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Vampire Hunter D

As far as Japanese animated movies go the films I enjoyed are more than the ones I care less about, and I couldn't enjoy this movie, it's boring.
    Which ones would you recommend to someone who has kind of an interest but is not sure where to start, Speed Force?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Molly's Game. Very good directorial debut by Aaron Sorkin. Wonderful Chastain.
    It's surprisng to see that Sorkin hasn't directed anything before this movie. He must have had plenty of chances, so I wonder why he never did before and why this project was the one he decided to direct himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's surprisng to see that Sorkin hasn't directed anything before this movie. He must have had plenty of chances, so I wonder why he never did before and why this project was the one he decided to direct himself.
    Many writers have no desire to direct. But I also wondered why he chose this project.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...om-q-a-1035204

Why direct now?

I’ve known for over two years that I was going to need a succinct, brief answer to that question. I still don’t have one. I’m not done wanting to work with great directors. I’ve worked with some of the best and I’ve loved it. And I didn’t write this with the intention of directing. I had a very clear vision for what I wanted it to be, whether I was right or wrong. I knew it was going to be difficult to communicate some of the things that were in my head to another person. I was at a restaurant with [producers] Mark Gordon and Amy Pascal, and we had a list of possible directors and we were going through that list, when we got the end Mark said, “but we think you direct it.” I grabbed at the chance.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-10-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Cold War (Zimna wojna), black-and-white film by Polish director Paweł Pawlikowski, set from 1949-1964, and follows a young woman named Zula who auditions to join a traditional music ensemble and enters into a love affair with musical director Wiktor. Really enjoyed this, due in great part to its excellent use of music.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Which ones would you recommend to someone who has kind of an interest but is not sure where to start, Speed Force?
    The list I prepared -mostly- by memory:
    • The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi: You don't need to have esoteric knowledge of the show to enjoy this nearly three hours long movie, I don't care about the main series, and it gave enough. There is a bit of a rush near the end though.
    • Grave of the Fireflies: A Studio Ghibli movie that is Easy for me to recommend.
    • Arrietty: Another Studio Ghibli movie that is easy to recommend.
    • Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal: This one is a serialized OVA, but I think I read somewhere that a movie version of it exists. If you can find the alleged movie version of this samurai story then do it, if not, you can at least enjoy the series.
    • Kimi No Nawa/ Your Name: Time travel logic is effy in this one, but the rest of the film is great.
    • Koe no Katashi/ A Silent Voice: Sounds like a horror title, but it's not.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Interesting recommendation in Arrietty, Speed Force. When it comes to Ghibli movies, this one gets overlooked quite often it seems. It's maybe not as flashy as a Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. I saw it almost 7 years ago now, but never revisited it since. I do remember loving it very much when I saw it.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me