Page 166 of 206 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 3085

"Ludo" (2020)

This movie is bonkers and I love it. It's an ensemble cast with a lot of heart under its crime comedy surface.

Invincible Member

Was at relatives house during Thanksgiving and somehow wound up watching Death Proof and then Planet Horror.

Anna directed by Luc Besson. I'd seen it a couple of years ago but forgot much of it. I don't think the fashion model aspect of the title character completely works for me, but still it was entertaining film.

Red Dragon starring Anthony Hopkins. It was ok.
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-01-2022 at 08:09 AM.

I finally got around to seeing that Scarlett Johansson movie Lucy last night. It wasn't quite what I was expecting it to be. I can't decide if it was an incomprehensible sci-fi gobbledygook broken up by a few action sequences or just that I was too stupid to understand whatever point Luc Besson was trying to make.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I finally got around to seeing that Scarlett Johansson movie Lucy last night. It wasn't quite what I was expecting it to be. I can't decide if it was an incomprehensible sci-fi gobbledygook broken up by a few action sequences or just that I was too stupid to understand whatever point Luc Besson was trying to make.
    I don't want to say it's the latter, it was sci-fi gobbledygook, but far from incomprehensible. Once you buy into the outmoded premise of "how much of the brain we use", it follows a fairly understandable arc. And ScarJo is very good in it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Call me by your name - finally! I thought it was great for the soundtrack and was beautifully filmed.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    A couple of the actions scenes were cool in isolation, but the movie as a whole was goobledygook. Johansson was in a way better sci-fi movie around the same time called Under The Skin. It's pretty "artsy" and slow moving, so it might not be to everyone's taste, but I really liked it.

Troll, you would think a Norwegian movie about a big troll would be fun....and it was!!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Thor; Love and Thunder. Ok, goodish, but flawed. Nicely touching in parts, but a hatchet job on Thor's character. Turning his ego up to 11 and basically turning him into a type of Hollywood narcissist type; (with more than a touch of Harry Potter's Gilderoy Lockhart.) if perhaps, with a heart of gold.

Best viewed I think as sort of an alternative timeline story. There are things introduced that later make one ask; "Hey, why wasn't that used before? And couldn't that other thing have been used to get rid of Thanos?" Don't ask these questions until after its finished. Just consume if you want to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Troll, you would think a Norwegian movie about a big troll would be fun....and it was!!
    Thanks, I'll give that a look.

Astonishing Member

Suckerpunch

Fulfills the fantasy of men in a big way, and tries to squeeze some intellectual storyline into it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Suckerpunch

Fulfills the fantasy of men in a big way, and tries to squeeze some intellectual storyline into it.
    Tries, but fails.

Invincible Member

Suckerpunch

I enjoyed the action scenes, but yeah...the movie isn't as smart as some people think it is.

Suckerpunch

Though I will say the fantasy fight scenes were brilliantly composed, I personally think it failed on both points. "Men" will generally want those fantasies to be real within the story. Not a symbolic delirium that relates to something happening to poor girls in the late 1950's. And if you were to do this, at the very least have those deliriums true within the time period. Nobody back then was having fantasies about sailor suited schoolgirls swinging katanas. Least of all the teenage girls themselves. It would have been knights in shining armour, jet fighters, Hunks in tuxedos with Italian speed boats, karate girls in sleek cat suits with pistols driving open top sports cars, and Forbidden Planet/early star trek sci-fi. World War one and Steam Punk wasn't old enough to be cool back then.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I saw Elvis. I didn't enjoy it as I hoped I would. I just couldn't buy the actor as Elvis for some reason. I was mixed on Tom Hanks. I also didn't care for the directing style. It looks like its pretty popular among viewers too. I really wanted to like it. Oh well...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I saw Elvis. I didn't enjoy it as I hoped I would. I just couldn't buy the actor as Elvis for some reason. I was mixed on Tom Hanks. I also didn't care for the directing style. It looks like its pretty popular among viewers too. I really wanted to like it. Oh well...
    You are not alone with it. It lacked a lot, especially at the end.