I love Netflix
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Loser
    21 Jump Street
    22 Jump Street

I love Netflix
    U must be in another country cause we dont have the Jumpstreet movies on Netflix in America

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    U must be in another country cause we dont have the Jumpstreet movies on Netflix in America
    Yeah, I'm Canadian.

21 Jump Street was just magic. You could see they were trying too hard for 22 Jump Street. It fell flat so many times.

A friend of mine invited me over last night to watch Avengers: Infinity War. It was the end of a long day and I ended up falling asleep halfway through the movie.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Endgame
    Into The Spiderverse

Endgame was very very good. I think Infinity War was better. I loved that film all the way. But here some sections: the 1st two while good didn't feel so focused. The third act is a doozy though and made up for any kind of 'stepdown' from that surprising beggining. A solid 9/10.

I finally got around to see Into The Spiderverse. And wow it was excellent. I am still very attached to Spider-man 2 to concede that Spiderverse is my favorite Spider-man film. But even Spider-man 2 felt a bit slow towards the end when Spidey fights Ock in the end. That part did not feel excellent as the rest of the film on rewatches to me personally. But this film is more tight and very very satisfying. 10/10

I shall give up having top 5 superhero film lists. Just when you think you can't top Civil War you have Infinity War. And of all films to top Infinity War is a small animated movie of Spider-man. There is simply so much goodness in comic book films.

Retired

In my continuing effort to watch every Tarzan movie, watched TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966). Other than being set in Mexico, some James Bond elements and a mod '60s score, this movie follows the familar patten of almost every Tarzan movie--white people going through the jungle to an exotic place of riches. Mike Henry as Tarzan was one of the most physically imposing figures of them all. Nancy Kovack plays the blonde--as she did in a lot of 1960s genre TV and movies. Manuel Padilla Jr. plays the boy--as he will in the 1966 TV show, but not the same character. And David Opatoshu plays the villain--I kept thinking of Leonardo DiCaprio as they look almost alike if not the same age.

In this one they use heavy military transports--maybe there's an undertone of the Vietnam War--but the sounds of the trucks and tanks were hard on my ears and I had to turn down the sound. Still, that might have been the point--the mass of machinery trampling over the jungle, their noise disturbing the calm. They even at one point go through a cave to get from one side of a mountain to the other--this challenged my belief, since I didn't see how it would be possible even for a tank to make its way through the contours and curvatures of a cave system--not without taking a lot of time to blast the rocks and clear a path. If Tarzan had been smart he would have trapped them when they were still in the mountain, so they could never get out to harry the occupants of the golden valley--but then they wouldn't be able to film the finale.

I'm surprised that the Mexican government allowed them to film at Teotihuacan and the Pyramid of the Sun. This is an important archaeological site and driving heavy machinery into that area could not have been the best thing for preservation. But I guess some palms were greased.

Astonishing Member

Dark Crimes with Jim Carrey...an excellent actor, but not an excellent movie

Retired

Watched ALIEN (1979), directed by Ridley Scott. For some reason I never got around to seeing this movie until now. I saw ALIENS (1986), directed by James Cameron, when it was first released, but never felt the need to watch the original.

As it is, I pretty much knew everything to expect and there were no big surprises. I wonder how I would have felt about it if I had got to see it when it was in theatres. It's a weird movie, in that it's both dumb and smart.

Some of the science seems to be advanced and yet other stuff seems silly. Even in 1979, futurists anticpated the advances in computing that would come (I studied computer science in school), so why are the computers so bad in the movie. And yet they're in a ship that can simulate gravity and they're far beyond our solar system.

Everyone on the crew is an idiot, except Sigourney Weaver's character. It's less a case of Ripley being a clever and heroic woman, and more a case of everyone else being so stupid it's a wonder they made it this far. I never felt invested in them or their fate, because I just expected they should die. Ripley and the cat were the only ones I cared about. But I knew she was going to survive to be in the next movie, so it was really only the cat that I was worried about.

I have to give credit to Ian Holm. Just with his micro-expressions and slight changes in inflection, he lets the audience know that he's a tool. After ALIEN, every actor in the movie except Sigourney Weaver got very old very fast. It's hard to believe that Tom Skerritt ever looked this young.

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle - Netflix
    John Wick: Chapter 3 Parabellum - Theatres

Death House on Netflix. I was lost as to what was happening and quit 15mins in

Retired

THE WANDERING EARTH. The premise for this movie is even more ridiculous than SNOW PIERCER. It was like something you'd find in a Mort Weisinger edited Superman comic from the 1960s. How they are able to power the Earth out of its orbit and toward Jupiter makes no sense. And yet it's not the kind of movie where you can just put your brain on pause, because to follow the action of the movie you have to figure out the logic of what they're trying to do. There were many times where my brain couldn't keep up with the plot.

I also feel like I was missing some connection with the characters because it was in Chinese with sub-titles. I know I'm supposed to care, but it was hard to get invested in their emotions.

I really don't like the kind of plot where people have spent a lot of effort and time on developing a good solution to their problems--such as piloting the Earth to a far off star--only for things to suddenly go wrong and they have to MacGyver a solution against a ticking clock. I just don't buy that they can pull some one in a million solution out of their back pocket, when it took years and millions of people to develop the original plan. I would have been much happier if nothing went wrong and the whole movie was about them piloting the Earth out of our solar system.

It's like in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY when things go wrong with HAL. I accept that plot twist, but it's not really what the movie is about. It's about getting to Jupiter and I would have been just as happy if they got there without a hitch. Surely the Monolith didn't figure on them having a computer fiasco and I have a hard time believing that Bowman was actually able to get there after that disaster happened.

But it was interesting to see what kind of big blockbuster movies China is going to make for us. I imagine in the near future we'll be seeing a lot more movies like this, so we should get comfortable with this kind of production. And I'd actually like to see a few sequels to THE WANDERING EARTH, as I'm much more interested in what happens in a hundred years or a thousand years in the future, and what happens to future generations in this odd scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's like in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY when things go wrong with HAL. I accept that plot twist, but it's not really what the movie is about. It's about getting to Jupiter and I would have been just as happy if they got there without a hitch. Surely the Monolith didn't figure on them having a computer fiasco and I have a hard time believing that Bowman was actually able to get there after that disaster happened.
    Actually, since the movie is about phases in the evolution of sentience, what happens with HAL is integral to the overall theme.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    THE WANDERING EARTH. The premise for this movie is even more ridiculous than SNOW PIERCER. It was like something you'd find in a Mort Weisinger edited Superman comic from the 1960s. How they are able to power the Earth out of its orbit and toward Jupiter makes no sense. And yet it's not the kind of movie where you can just put your brain on pause, because to follow the action of the movie you have to figure out the logic of what they're trying to do. There were many times where my brain couldn't keep up with the plot.

I also feel like I was missing some connection with the characters because it was in Chinese with sub-titles. I know I'm supposed to care, but it was hard to get invested in their emotions.

I really don't like the kind of plot where people have spent a lot of effort and time on developing a good solution to their problems--such as piloting the Earth to a far off star--only for things to suddenly go wrong and they have to MacGyver a solution against a ticking clock. I just don't buy that they can pull some one in a million solution out of their back pocket, when it took years and millions of people to develop the original plan. I would have been much happier if nothing went wrong and the whole movie was about them piloting the Earth out of our solar system.

But it was interesting to see what kind of big blockbuster movies China is going to make for us. I imagine in the near future we'll be seeing a lot more movies like this, so we should get comfortable with this kind of production. And I'd actually like to see a few sequels to THE WANDERING EARTH, as I'm much more interested in what happens in a hundred years or a thousand years in the future, and what happens to future generations in this odd scenario.
    Wandering earth lol. Iono why but I thought it was a Docu series like Planet Earth etc... but sounds like avoiding it was a good thint.

The Last Jedi.

While i still think it was written by a drunk moose, i almost enjoyed it this time around.

Almost.