Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1326
    Standing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    “Adventures of Robin Hood” from 1938. It was kind fo weird to watch it this time while focusing on the score - I’d always note dit before when I was a kid, but I’ve been reading up on how it’s basically the product of an incredibly over-qualified composer who was going to turn down the adventure film as “lite entertainment,” only for the Nazis to chase him out of Austria two days later and basically create the modern conception of adventure film composing with leit motifs for adventure heroes and scores made for specific action sequences.
    Challenge accepted. I've watched THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD before, of course (it's one of those movies that everyone has to watch), but I never paid that much attention to the music or the production. Wikipedia says that John Williams cited Erich Wolfgang Korngold as his inspiration for the Star Wars scores.

This was Warner Bros. first big budget Technicolor production--and the colours really pop on the screen. The art direction makes me think of Hal Foster's Prince Valiant work from the 1930s--and I imagine that would have been an influence. There is an unmistakable Star Wars aspect to the plot--each time Maid Marian is on screen she makes me think of Princess Leia. The wardrobe department went crazy with the outfits they gave Olivia De Havilland.

A nice companion to this movie would be THE COURT JESTER--which was likely parodying a lot from this movie and other Errol Flynn swashbuckling films. Basil Rathbone's sword fights at the end of both movies have a lot in common.
    “Th-th-th-that's all folks!”

I just finished up PlayTime directed by Jacques Tati. It was incredible. From the first sequence, I knew that I was watching some type of masterpiece. It's one of those movies that reminds you what movies can do.

The Green Book. Very enjoyable. Not sure if it is best picture Oscar worthy, but a good movie none the less, with to stellar performances.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Challenge accepted. I've watched THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD before, of course (it's one of those movies that everyone has to watch), but I never paid that much attention to the music or the production. Wikipedia says that John Williams cited Erich Wolfgang Korngold as his inspiration for the Star Wars scores.

This was Warner Bros. first big budget Technicolor production--and the colours really pop on the screen. The art direction makes me think of Hal Foster's Prince Valiant work from the 1930s--and I imagine that would have been an influence. There is an unmistakable Star Wars aspect to the plot--each time Maid Marian is on screen she makes me think of Princess Leia. The wardrobe department went crazy with the outfits they gave Olivia De Havilland.

A nice companion to this movie would be THE COURT JESTER--which was likely parodying a lot from this movie and other Errol Flynn swashbuckling films. Basil Rathbone's sword fights at the end of both movies have a lot in common.
    Rathbone supposedly said that when he made the Court Jester, Danny Kaye was the best naturally gifted on screen opponent he’d ever met, able to basically copy any of the moves they had to make just by watching Rathbone himself do them once... or alternatively, that Kaye was the first on-screen opponent who was too fast for Rathbone to keep up with at 63, so the instructor had to stand in for him a few times.

Though in hindsight, the fact that a great duelist like Rathbone barely ever got to win any of his on-screen fights is a shame.
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

Flynn wasn'r bad, but you can see Rathbone is more polished.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

And Danny Kaye

just finished watching Cop Land the other night

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Ad Astra ........ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz. God that movie was boring and pretentious. It was trying so hard to be 2001 but just failing so bad.

Watched the first five episodes of Black Lightning.

That's...something. So far so not very good at all.

X-Men Trilogy

The rest of the non-Wolverine movies shouldn't be considered part of this canon, nothing in trying to connect them together makes sense.
    Aside from that, all three are good movies, even the third one with its inferior cinematography that suffers from shaky action camera shots.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member

Letter to the King on Netflix. Disappointing, you how we thought Finn was gonna be the one and then they did the bait and switch. Same thing here but worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Letter to the King on Netflix. Disappointing, you how we thought Finn was gonna be the one and then they did the bait and switch. Same thing here but worse.
    Who's Finn?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Who's Finn?
    You know that guy from SWS with the leather jacket.lol

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You know that guy from SWS with the leather jacket.lol
    Oh, ffs am I a dolt!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Oh, ffs am I a dolt!
    Haha I'm sure you're not the first to forget who Finn was.