Page 95 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1501
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Watched it a couple of times. In all honesty, I did not understand the message of the movie. The main character was pretty badass, though!
    I think on one hand, it was making fun of the gullibility of people who believe internet conspiracies ( Pizzagatae, etc). On the other, it took a shot at liberals being out of touch rich people.

Man I thought the 5 Bloods was the shit. Delroy London did a great job with the outcomes of war. His character was among the funniest and I can see why he was tormented. I also learned how much Black contributed to the war. A great history lesson driven by strong acting and story. Anyway, I just saw Hustlers.

I was shocked how good this movie was from the acting to the pace to the characters. Lopez led the way but the other girls did their thing as they explained their actions in making it big. The pace kept the viewer hooked while I really cared for the two main characters. Oh and it was funny. Props to the director.
    Watching it I saw its a mix between Bullock's Ocean 11 and Goodfellas. Lopez plays the lead in directing the girls into different heists while the other lead narrates the story of a rookie to the ending from her eyes.
    Oh and I'm so happy they made their occupation the background and didn't go crazy with it. Buuuuuuuut Lopez look great. It's not a classic but it's a movie that could be rewatched.

Standing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The Hunt (2019) Solid B-Movie thriller with satirical overtones. This is the movie got pushed back after the president ( w/o seeing it) complained about it. Thing is, most of the satire is aimed at coastal liberal elites.
    I wonder if the cut that was released is the same as what was supposed to come out originally. I think if it had come out when it was supposed to, it would have landed better. Now, it feels off to have this hyperbolic parody when the culture war in the United States has become a hyperbolic parody of itself and hundreds of thousands of people are dead. It feels wrong to laugh at that (without bitter pangs in the belly).

Upon seeing Dennis Reynolds, I viewed the whole exercise as one over-extended episode of ALWAYS SUNNY. On that level it worked for me.
    🇨🇦

Incredible Member

The fifth estate A movie about Julian Assange and Wikileaks

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Assange, he is a weird guy, I mean Cumberbatch...but he did good. Daniel Brühl (Baron Zemo) played his protege, also great as ever. Glad that he made it in Hollywood. There were a lot of stars in it.

I don't know if the movie was historical correct or not, but It kept me entertained.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Fahrenheit 11/9
    We live in frightening times. It seems Democracy has failed.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 07-08-2020 at 12:20 AM.

hamilton..

Really enjoyed it, I mean Moana was one of my favorite movies of the past decade and Lins music on that was great so not surprised by this at all. More surprised by how good of an actor he is Leslie Odom jr are. Odom I had scene here and there like a sketchy cross roads demon on Supernatural. But lin I had only seen in House and a couple episodes of that Godlen compass TV show. He was really good in this with the emotional stuff. Also the last from altered Carbon was amazing in this. Feel bad I dont know her name.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think on one hand, it was making fun of the gullibility of people who believe internet conspiracies ( Pizzagatae, etc). On the other, it took a shot at liberals being out of touch rich people.
    I guess what confused me was why were the liberals joking about manorgate. Also, did they make a mistake with Crystal/Justice4Yall?

Also:

i have not seen a lot of Studio Ghibli movies, so I felt it was time to change that since a lot of them are available on Netflix Canada. Watched Princess Mononoke. Damn...2D animations are the shit! This is a fantastic movie.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Standing Member

THE MAN WHO LAUGHS (1928), directed by Paul Leni, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, starring Conrad Veidt, Mary Philbin, Olga Baclanova, Cesare Gravina.

I wonder how they managed Gwynneplaine's permanent grin. Did Veidt have something that was holding his mouth in that position? It seems like it would be difficult for any actor to hold the expression for long takes.

The grin is so heart breaking. You can see the torture that Gwynneplaine is in, never being able to do anything but smile. There's a lot of great face acting in this silent movie (but not very silent with the music track).

It's the ultimate irony that Gwynneplaine, the tragic hero, was turned into a villain by Bill Finger, Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson. The whole point of the story is that people don't recognize him for the good person he really is, on account of how he looks.
    🇨🇦

Escape Plan

Stallone and Ahnold team up to escape a "super" high security prison. Yah it was dumb. Guess there were two sequels, though, so what do I know
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Standing Member

PALM SPRINGS (2020), directed by Max Barbakow, starring Andy Samberg and Christin Milioti: Best movie of the summer (emphatic period)!
    🇨🇦

Extraordinary Member

Death Race, Fast and Fierce- Depraved,raunchy,entertaining trash. It could have benefited from a lot more DMX. Still good for some laughs.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Escape Plan

Stallone and Ahnold team up to escape a "super" high security prison. Yah it was dumb. Guess there were two sequels, though, so what do I know
    At least it was entertaining. Stalonne and Arnie gave us what we expected. The second and third parts are unwatchable, and Sly is inly in it for like 10 minutes.

Incredible Member

The Old Guard

Good one.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

There's nothing particularly original about 25 km/h but it is a real gem of a road movie that will put a smile on your face.
    The patchwork of quirky characters never lets the story get boring and seeing Franka Potente in a small role was a true delight.

Gretel & Hansel.

Not bad at all, it was interesting to watch. It's that close to be a good movie, that close. Maybe with a different pacing and a better end.

But that's a totally watchable re-telling of that well-known story.