Page 95 of 206 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 3086
    Astonishing Member

The fifth estate A movie about Julian Assange and Wikileaks

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Assange, he is a weird guy, I mean Cumberbatch...but he did good. Daniel Brühl (Baron Zemo) played his protege, also great as ever. Glad that he made it in Hollywood. There were a lot of stars in it.

I don't know if the movie was historical correct or not, but It kept me entertained.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Fahrenheit 11/9
    We live in frightening times. It seems Democracy has failed.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 07-08-2020 at 12:20 AM.

hamilton..

Really enjoyed it, I mean Moana was one of my favorite movies of the past decade and Lins music on that was great so not surprised by this at all. More surprised by how good of an actor he is Leslie Odom jr are. Odom I had scene here and there like a sketchy cross roads demon on Supernatural. But lin I had only seen in House and a couple episodes of that Godlen compass TV show. He was really good in this with the emotional stuff. Also the last from altered Carbon was amazing in this. Feel bad I dont know her name.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think on one hand, it was making fun of the gullibility of people who believe internet conspiracies ( Pizzagatae, etc). On the other, it took a shot at liberals being out of touch rich people.
    I guess what confused me was why were the liberals joking about manorgate. Also, did they make a mistake with Crystal/Justice4Yall?

Also:

i have not seen a lot of Studio Ghibli movies, so I felt it was time to change that since a lot of them are available on Netflix Canada. Watched Princess Mononoke. Damn...2D animations are the ****! This is a fantastic movie.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

THE MAN WHO LAUGHS (1928), directed by Paul Leni, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, starring Conrad Veidt, Mary Philbin, Olga Baclanova, Cesare Gravina.

I wonder how they managed Gwynneplaine's permanent grin. Did Veidt have something that was holding his mouth in that position? It seems like it would be difficult for any actor to hold the expression for long takes.

The grin is so heart breaking. You can see the torture that Gwynneplaine is in, never being able to do anything but smile. There's a lot of great face acting in this silent movie (but not very silent with the music track).

It's the ultimate irony that Gwynneplaine, the tragic hero, was turned into a villain by Bill Finger, Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson. The whole point of the story is that people don't recognize him for the good person he really is, on account of how he looks.

Escape Plan

Stallone and Ahnold team up to escape a "super" high security prison. Yah it was dumb. Guess there were two sequels, though, so what do I know
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

PALM SPRINGS (2020), directed by Max Barbakow, starring Andy Samberg and Christin Milioti: Best movie of the summer (emphatic period)!

Extraordinary Member

Death Race, Fast and Fierce- Depraved,raunchy,entertaining trash. It could have benefited from a lot more DMX. Still good for some laughs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Escape Plan

Stallone and Ahnold team up to escape a "super" high security prison. Yah it was dumb. Guess there were two sequels, though, so what do I know
    At least it was entertaining. Stalonne and Arnie gave us what we expected. The second and third parts are unwatchable, and Sly is inly in it for like 10 minutes.

Astonishing Member

The Old Guard

Good one.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

There's nothing particularly original about 25 km/h but it is a real gem of a road movie that will put a smile on your face.
    The patchwork of quirky characters never lets the story get boring and seeing Franka Potente in a small role was a true delight.

Gretel & Hansel.

Not bad at all, it was interesting to watch. It's that close to be a good movie, that close. Maybe with a different pacing and a better end.

But that's a totally watchable re-telling of that well-known story.

Torch Song Trilogy (1988). Starring Harvey Fierstein and Matthew Broderick. Screenplay by Fierstein, based on his 1982 play of the same name.

Caustic but cuddly Fierstein plays a NYC drag performer whose romantic and familial ups and downs we follow over the course of several years. It’s what I might call an adult gay man’s coming of age story. Anne Bancroft is Fierstein’s mother. The kind of mother who wants to love her child but can’t get to grips with who he is.

Taking place in the the late 70s/early 80s (post Stonewall-era gay rights advances and pre-AIDS epidemic), it’s a quietly amusing, modestly touching look at the way things used to be in a world without Will & Grace, Ellen DeGeneres and RuPaul, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Death Race, Fast and Fierce- Depraved,raunchy,entertaining trash. It could have benefited from a lot more DMX. Still good for some laughs.
    Looks like I'll be adding a new movie to the list

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    The Old Guard

Good one.
    The Old Guard was the last movie I watched. I thought it was pretty good. Some of the characters felt a little stock, but enjoyable nonetheless.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

POINT BREAK (1991), directed by Kathryn Bigelow, starring Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves. If I had paid money to see this movie when it came out, I would have said it was a total waste of money and a horrible movie. By virtue of having Swayze and Reeves in a movie together, I can almost say it was worth the time. Within the movie, the only rationale for why their characters make the stupid decisions they make is that they must have fallen in love with each other at first sight and they're willing to put everyone else in danger so they can be together. Outside the movie, the rationale for the director seems to be this would make a good visual, so forget about plot, let's just have these guys do this stuff for the sake of it looking good on screen.