Page 136 of 208 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 3110

Saw Judas & The Black Messiah. Had a great time. Impressed with the performances of Lakeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Extraordinary Member

The Hit Man's wife bodyguard. Haven't laughed this much at a movie in years. This is my new ****, good fun.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 07-24-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Just saw Unforgiven, 1990s western written and directed by Clint Eastwood. Nice last nod to his iconic run as bestubbled gunslinger, also an interesting look into the psyche of the morals of these characters, where Eastwood is the former outlaw who's mostly sworn off violence, and Gene Hackman is the authoritarian sheriff who imposes his moral view upon an entire community. Good stuff,

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Just saw Unforgiven, 1990s western written and directed by Clint Eastwood. Nice last nod to his iconic run as bestubbled gunslinger, also an interesting look into the psyche of the morals of these characters, where Eastwood is the former outlaw who's mostly sworn off violence, and Gene Hackman is the authoritarian sheriff who imposes his moral view upon an entire community. Good stuff,
    I love this film, my second favourite Western after "Once Upon A Time in the West". It was so perfect that it was Eastwood who deconstructed the myth of cowboys into this brilliant attack on the reality of a gunslinger. Richard Harris and Morgan Freeman are excellent supporting cast, and the entire concept of why they all converge is beautiful in its simplicity. Love, love, LOVE IT!!!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Finally saw Cruella - loved it - Disney is good at these villain prequels

The Tomorrow War - Meh! the father-daughter relationship was touching but those aliens were unconvincing. Yvonne Strahovski is always great to watch though

I saw 'Gunda' but didn't like it.

On one hand I can admire it for providing an unconventional look at the life of farm animals, and for being a piece of cinematic artwork in its purest form, almost feeling like a black-and-white photo exhibition of farm animals put to film. But two parts of the movie take me out of my enjoyment of it, one featuring the death of one of the animals, and the other being a ten minute sequence of a sow being in distress over the disappearance of her piglets.

Maybe of some importance to note that this is neither a (silent) documentary on the life of farm animals, nor is it a dramatized account following a sow and her litter of piglets. It's a sequence of long, lingering shots that highlight aspects of the lives of these animals from an angle not many people get to see. It's not for everyone. I myself am very intrigued by the concept, but I'm disturbed by the final execution. I understand that the less pleasant aspects of a pig's life must be taken into consideration when making a movie about it, but the way these aspects have been included in this film were too much for me.

Invincible Member

Gunpowder Milkshake. A dark action/comedy about the daughter of a hit woman on the run from her employers and must seek out the help of her mother and former friends in order to survive. Uses the well worn trope of female bad-ass in trusted to protect the life of a cute child in order to justify her on screen mayhem ( to be fair to fair, it's used for male led action movies too, but it seems more likely in female led ones). Interesting use of the songs "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin and "It's Over Now Baby Blue" (I think). Fun guest turns by Angela Bassett and Michelle Yeoh. Decent fight choreography, ok gunplay ( although as in many post-John Woo films, no one could hit anything the way guns are often held in this movie). Also, Paul Giamatti is in it too. Two and a half stars.

Extraordinary Member

Transformers WFC Beast wars-Buncha once and future bots standing around droning on about death. And waxing philosophical about war and peace. Ugh...It was aight.

Jungle Cruise- Pretty good romcom adventure. Rock and Emily have great chemistry.

Pig- A movie about accepting loss. Very good.

Found an excellent documentary on HBO MAX- Woodstock '99: Peace, Love, and Rage. It's actually the first in a series of music docs coming out this fall, and gives an in-depth look at the cluster that was Woodstock '99. It features interviews with attendees, performers, and one of the producers of the festival- who, even over 20 years later, still takes no responsibility for the things that went wrong, and spends most of the documentary blaming Fred Durst for inciting a riot and, even more infuriatingly, blaming the women for being sexually assaulted.

Invincible Member

I went to the theatre earlier today to see Spy Girl's Big Adventure ( featuring Spy Girl Jr). My expectations were modest, so I was able to enjoy it for what it was although in the big scheme of things it was a kinda mediocre movie. I can't believe they actually left in the old cliche where one character explains something technical and the other character says, "In English?"

Minor stuff I liked....the Widow's Bite and Widow Line were a thing ( although they've been downplayed in the comics recently). The Red Room situation ( implied human trafficking) actually gave the movie more weight than it would have otherwise. Hero pose gag ( although I'm pretty sure they lamp-shaded it in Deadpool as well).

I jumping on the bandwagon, but Florence Pugh stole the show.

Val, Val Kilmer's home movie documentary. More engaging than I thought it would be.

Blood Red Sky. Great premise and set up, not great execution.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Free Guy, loved it. And actually I've enjoyed every videogame/loop themed movie I can remember watching recently (the new Jumanjis, Boss Level and Free Guy) so I'm glad for that sub-genre being a thing.

For the past few weeks I have been catching up on old James Bond movies. I did catch parts from these movies before, when they aired on TV. But the only Bond films I have actually watched so far are some of the Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig ones. So, this was like watching these movies for the first time. 'The Spy Who Loved Me' and 'Dr No' are the two films that I remembered watching significant portions of. I was completely blank with the rest apart from maybe some action scene compilations.

I had a great time watching all of them from Dr No to Licence to Kill. My initial plan was to watch only Goldfinger as it is considered as an all time classic. I loved it so much that i wanted more of the 'good' ones. In the end i watched all of them as i ended up liking all of the actors who have played the role and i had wanted to see all of these movies since a long time. Since there are so many movies there's enough stuff to talk about, i might as well start a new thread.

Nice to see Mr. Lazenby as prominently in that line-up as his fellow Bonds ^^. My mom really likes On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Last week, I saw Quo Vadis, Aida?, a Bosnian/Dutch co-production, directed by Jasmila Zbanic and starring Jasna Duricic. It focuses on the direct lead up to the Srebrenica massacre in July 1995 in Bosnia. I thought for most of its run it was very strong, you can feel the tension building up very well, but the conclusion is sudden and somewhat unsatisfying regarding the characters involved. Nonetheless, it's more than worth the watch if alone for shedding a spotlight on one of the bloodier episodes in the already bloody ten-year conflict centered around the dissolution of Yugoslavia, a series of wars that should remind Western Europe that Europe as a whole has NOT been free of war for the past 76 years, as we sometimes like to boast at WW2 remembrance events.

Just now, I watched Les choses qu'on dit, les choses qu'on fait, directed by Emmanuel Mouret. This one may have been a little over my head as apparently it seeks to explore the philosophy of René Girard concerning romantic relationships. Not having done my homework, I went into the movie blind, and did not particularly enjoy it. It came across to me as a romantic almost-comedy, in which the characters will hook up with each other at the drop of a hat based mostly on shallow physical attraction. It results in this tangled web of lovers and spouses all involved with each other on some level, cheating behind each other's back and lying to each other's faces (hence the title). Highlights for me were probably seeing Paris again plus the scenes in the gorgeous hilly countryside, as well as Camélia Jordana who was admittedly very captivating in this. So again, I was probably the wrong audience for this.

Alright, I don't know how fun works, I don't know how response to these things happen, I just know I saw these and got engaged:

Victory (1981):

Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine (among others) play football (real football, the one that has a spherical ball, kicked by feet majority of the time by most players) for the English army against the German army during World War II.
    Seeing that both Sylvester Stallone and Max Von Sydow were actors in this film made the line "Together again, sir" spoken by Sylvester Dredd to Judge Max Von Fargo an additional meaning.

Victor Frankenstein (2015):

Currently watching it, not done yet. I'm having fun with this movie 30 minutes in, and I don't care how some bits so far don't really make sense, I just care that I'm having fun with it.

EDIT: So it has a few questionable points and spots of questionable editing, but the movie is actually better than its reputation, so I will dare call it underrated. Also; it's fun.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 08-16-2021 at 08:00 AM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage