Page 61 of 208 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Monty Python And The Holy Grail.

Just watched this on Netflix. It would be sometime back during the 1980's when I watched it last. I can't say that it's stood the test of time all that well but it was reasonable enough.

Made all the way back in 1975 no less.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Recent films I've seen:
    - THE IRISHMAN (2019). Meh. Goodfellas remake. Two star
    - MARRIAGE STORY (2019). A Masterpiece. Five star
    - THE WIFE (2018). Glen Close is very good. Three star
    - KLAUS (2019). Hope it wins Best Animated Feature. All the feels. Four star.
    - MARY POPPINS RETURNS (2018). Emily Blunt is SO GOOD! Three star
    - SULLY (2016). Eastwood and Hank. Win. Four star
    - JOKER (2019). Over-rated but Phoenix is brilliant. Four star
    - THE STRANGER (1946). Needs a remake. Three star.
    - SPIDERMAN: INTO THE SPIDERVERSE (2018). Good film, shouldn't have won the Oscar. Four star.
    - THE TWO POPES (2019). Surprisingly awesome. Four star
    - CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (2017). Very good, but... still overrated. Four star.
    - 1917 (2019). Utter masterpiece. Five star.
    - I LOST MY BODY (2019). It's good, but repetitive. Three star.
    - LA LA LAND (2016). Great film, terrible musical. Four star.
    - MOONLIGHT (2016). I didn't get the hype. Three star.
    - PHANTOM THREADS (2017). Least enjoyable Paul Thomas Anderson. Three star
    - LADY BIRD (2017). So well made and acted, but ultimately meh. Four star.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

Just watched this on Netflix. It would be sometime back during the 1980's when I watched it last. I can't say that it's stood the test of time all that well but it was reasonable enough.

I fart in your general direction.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Our high school student council (which included some buddies of mine) made the brilliant decision to bring in movies at lunch hour, showing one half of the movie on one day and the other half on the next day. That's how I got to see BONNIE AND CLYDE, A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY, AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and a Hammer horror vampire movie but I'm not sure which one, I just remember women with ample bosoms sucking blood (this was back in the 1970s).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Our high school student council (which included some buddies of mine) made the brilliant decision to bring in movies at lunch hour, showing one half of the movie on one day and the other half on the next day. That's how I got to see BONNIE AND CLYDE, A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY, AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and a Hammer horror vampire movie but I'm not sure which one, I just remember women with ample bosoms sucking blood (this was back in the 1970s).
    I think that is EVERY Hammer movie!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    The Broadway musical elevated the faults and improved the plotting, and truly made it a masterpiece again. One of the few times a play/musical is better than the film it's based on (because I agree, it's not all aged brilliantly).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think that is EVERY Hammer movie!
    Yeah, I watched all of the Hammer vampire movies some years ago trying to figure out which was the one I saw in high school--but it was impossible to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    The Broadway musical elevated the faults and improved the plotting, and truly made it a masterpiece again. One of the few times a play/musical is better than the film it's based on (because I agree, it's not all aged brilliantly).
    I love Holy Grail, but agree the musical was great.

The most recent Addams family animated movie was pretty fun.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I haven't seen the original Dune. I feel I'll be out of the loop if I were to see the re-do before the original.
    Read the awesome novel and do some research on frank Herbert. You'll be glad you did. Read and reread it. Impressive work and always you'll discover something new

Just watched BoP and would like to see more of Huntress and Canary. Romi and Viktor were fun. Overall not as bad as I feared. First half wasn't my thing though

Alita:Battle Angel, very good, hard to say why it didn't do better. It was certainly better than some hits, like Bumblebee. Must be all those Superhero movies that stop people from seeing other movies.

Ad Astra- a somber introspective flick with the occasional action sequence. It does drag after the 1 hour mark.

Retired

Went to see BIRDS OF PREY AND THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN, again, in the same theatre and in the same seat. And yes that's still the title of the movie--they haven't changed it--while the theatre ticket reads "BIRDS OF PREY" as it did on the previous ticket. So all this talk about the name being changed is a lot of noise.

I had to see it again, because the previous time I didn't sit all the way through the end credits. This time I did and there's just a very brief bit from Harley. Not as worthwhile as the bit at the end of ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD.

Astonishing Member

Enders Game

I enjoyed it more then I hoped for. Its a teeny movie, like Twilight and Maze Runner but wasn't boring even if it played the usual tropes.

Godzilla King of Monsters. Not good. It wasn't the stupidity of the plot or the people were dumb. The Big monster battles were all done in misty, darkly lit scenes. Making it hard to see the FX. I did not care for the first Godzilla movie either, this one might have been worse. Hard to understand how the same producers made the enjoyable Kong, Skull Island.