Page 86 of 208 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 3109
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    You don't think some of the acting in Wrath of Khan felt... kinda bad? I mean "Khhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnn" isn't parodied so much because it's emotionally powerful
    Weeell, I don't know. It is Trek and Trek has always been rather Shakespearean, in FC Picard yells "Nooooo!" in a way that he can give the Shat a run for his money.

The last movie I saw was Ghost last night on BBC America. I remember seeing this in the theater and renting it, on tv etc. But its the first time I've actually seen it in at least 20 years. It's not a masterpiece but its still pretty entertaining and I do still tear up at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Weeell, I don't know. It is Trek and Trek has always been rather Shakespearean, in FC Picard yells "Nooooo!" in a way that he can give the Shat a run for his money.
    a) let's not compared the acting brilliance of Sir Patrick with William Shatner's ham
    b) while that "Nooooooo" was too much (for my tastes) it just happened in a scene that was acting GOLD! I don't know a better acting scene in Star Trek than Picard and Lily's arguement.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    EDIT: whoops...forgot to post that I watched Dark City last night.
    Did it age well? Right now I'm into JConnelly movies. A beautiful woman.

You don't think some of the acting in Wrath of Khan felt... kinda bad? I mean "Khhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnn" isn't parodied so much because it's emotionally powerful
    I don't even think that Wrath of Khan is... as good as its reputation would suggest. I think that one and Search for Spock are my least favorite Trek movies. My favorite is Undiscovered Country, by a lot, followed by Voyage Home. I actually love William Shatner, ham acting and all, I just don't necessarily find Khan that compelling as a villain.

Anyway, the most recent movie I saw was Halloween, since I just got Shudder.

18halloween1978-articleLarge-v2.jpg

It was good. A little slow, a little lacking in complexity, but very good. I don't necessarily feel like I'm ever going to watch another Halloween movie, though I guess never say never. But the original was very solid.
    Last edited by Adekis; 05-29-2020 at 04:46 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't even think that Wrath of Khan is... as good as its reputation would suggest. I think that one and Search for Spock are my least favorite Trek movies. My favorite is Undiscovered Country, by a lot, followed by Voyage Home. I actually love William Shatner, ham acting and all, I just don't necessarily find Khan that compelling as a villain.

It was good. A little slow, a little lacking in complexity, but very good. I don't necessarily feel like I'm ever going to watch another Halloween movie, though I guess never say never. But the original was very solid.
    OH MY GOD! Did you do that intentionally? If not, you'll love this trivia: Michael Myre's mask is actually William Shatner's face!!! The budget was so low, they went diving in old prop warehouses and found this mask/mold Shatner had for an episode of Star Trek (the original series) and they painted it white. CRAZY, CRAZY co-incidence if you didn't know that. Love it.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Bird Box - excellent movie. I shouldn't had waited so long to see this. Whenever a movie have me possess with an emotion its a winner. Oh, and I was scared. Every scene made sense other than those dummies that kept opening the door. Also, I love John Malkovich. I wish he could have played Lex Luther.

I rewatched Into the Spiderverse. Classic; also I noticed Gwen called Miles name at the end. Never saw that before.

OH MY GOD! Did you do that intentionally? If not, you'll love this trivia: Michael Myre's mask is actually William Shatner's face!!! The budget was so low, they went diving in old prop warehouses and found this mask/mold Shatner had for an episode of Star Trek (the original series) and they painted it white. CRAZY, CRAZY co-incidence if you didn't know that. Love it.
    Haha! I actually did know that, but it completely slipped my mind when I was writing that! Wild!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Chicken Run was on the telly today and rewatched it, boggling slightly at the fact it is now twenty years old. In case you haven’t seen it it’s basically The Great Escape but with chickens, and it probably has lots of British in-jokes I dunno what international audiences would think today but it’s still very funny to me.

Retired

THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU (2011) written and directed by George Nolfi, based on "The Adjustment Team" by Philip K. Dick, starring Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie, Terence Stamp.

Watching this I kept thinking how Christopher Nolan might have handled the same story in a more effective way, with his visual style. It's a good movie, but it could be great with just some adjustments.

They never manage to explain what the Adjustment Bureau is supposed to accomplish. And looking at this in 2020, with all the things going wrong now, one wonders if this is the result the Chairman hoped for.

Also, it seems like the Chairman cares a lot about the survival of the planet for pedestrian reasons. Someone trained in philosophy would make a better protagonist as I feel like Matt Damon's character was ill-equipped to argue against this extremely flawed system. If the only object is to keep the world going, with people simply accomplishing the continued existence of the world, but not accomplishing what they truly want for themselves, what is the point of it all? Who are we saving the planet for?

The movie opens up a big can of ideological worms, but then shies away from investigating them.

Another aspect of the movie in the first part is the appearance of several well-known pundits playing themselves. I suppose this kind of thing is supposed to bring some verisimilitude to the picture. But this kind of thing in movies usually rubs me the wrong way. You have Matt Damon playing a fictional character being interviewed by Jon Stewart playing himself. The appearance of Jon Stewart only serves to remind me that in the real world Matt Damon is an actor--it works against the verisimilitude. In fact, I think actors playing fictional pundits would give the movie a greater ring of truth--although, I don't think the movie needed any pundits or talking heads, which are too obviously there to dump a bunch of exposition.

Marriage Story (2019). Writer/director Noah Baumbach’s incisive portrait of divorce (and indictment of divorce lawyers perhaps). Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson are the unraveling couple. He’s a stage director, she’s a TV actress. I’d heard this was moving, thoughtful, sensitive—a movie for grown-ups. It’s all those things but surprisingly amusing too, thanks to some ace supporting performances by Laura Dern and Ray Liotta as the lawyers and additional players as relatives. Baumbach does a good job of balancing the scales and not asking us to pick sides, but I think Driver ends up looking slightly more sympathetic than Scarlett. It’s a long movie. I question if it needed two musical numbers...but on the other hand I was surprised and impressed at how well Adam Driver can put across a musical theater song.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I still consider it a fantastic movie. Yes, the CGI is absolutely terrible, but my goodness it's a great movie.

Recently watched: The Day After Tomorrow. I love disaster movies. I wasn't a fan of The Day After Tomorrow when I watched it in the theatres, but one day it was showing on TV and I couldn't stop watching. I have loved this movie ever since.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    She's become scary thin since then, I'm a bit concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU (2011) written and directed by George Nolfi, based on "The Adjustment Team" by Philip K. Dick, starring Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie, Terence Stamp.

Watching this I kept thinking how Christopher Nolan might have handled the same story in a more effective way, with his visual style. It's a good movie, but it could be great with just some adjustments.

They never manage to explain what the Adjustment Bureau is supposed to accomplish. And looking at this in 2020, with all the things going wrong now, one wonders if this is the result the Chairman hoped for.

Also, it seems like the Chairman cares a lot about the survival of the planet for pedestrian reasons. Someone trained in philosophy would make a better protagonist as I feel like Matt Damon's character was ill-equipped to argue against this extremely flawed system. If the only object is to keep the world going, with people simply accomplishing the continued existence of the world, but not accomplishing what they truly want for themselves, what is the point of it all? Who are we saving the planet for?

The movie opens up a big can of ideological worms, but then shies away from investigating them.

Another aspect of the movie in the first part is the appearance of several well-known pundits playing themselves. I suppose this kind of thing is supposed to bring some verisimilitude to the picture. But this kind of thing in movies usually rubs me the wrong way. You have Matt Damon playing a fictional character being interviewed by Jon Stewart playing himself. The appearance of Jon Stewart only serves to remind me that in the real world Matt Damon is an actor--it works against the verisimilitude. In fact, I think actors playing fictional pundits would give the movie a greater ring of truth--although, I don't think the movie needed any pundits or talking heads, which are too obviously there to dump a bunch of exposition.
    Yea they never do explain

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

LOL... but Montalban's acting is so bad that it becomes triumphantly bad. I remember hearing him on NPR when he was asked what he felt his best performance was... and he laughed and said
    "while I would certainly never call it my best acting.... I definitely had the most fun playing Khan!"

he also had this hilarious summary of the career of every actor:

1. WHO is Ricardo Montalban?
    2. GET me Ricardo Montalban!
    3. get me somebody LIKE Ricardo Montalban
    4. get me Ricardo Montalban.
    5. … who IS Ricardo Montalban?!?