Page 40 of 206 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

I saw Glass in the plane ride. I didn't hate it but thought the asylum bits went on too long.

500 Days of Summer
    Booksmart
    Brightburn
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

THE LITTLE HOURS (2017), directed by Jeff Baena, starring Aubrey Plaza, Alison Brie, Dave Franco, Kate Micucci. This is the kind of ribald comedy that I appreciate, but not many other people seem to enjoy. Adapting tales from the third day of Giovanni Boccaccio's THE DECAMERON, I like how it breezily integrates the Italian middle ages with a modern American sensibility. Which works for me because literal translations can rob these medieval stories of their immediacy and impact. It's too bad that this movie didn't find a bigger audience, as I'd like to see more films of this type--adapting THE DECAMERON, THE CANTERBURY TALES and things of that nature.

Extraordinary Member

Shaft 2 pretty solid non -pc action comedy. I think the marketing hurt this movie they sold young Shaft as a dweeb and that probably turned ppl off. But he really showed growth during the movie and by the end he was a worthy hero.

I saw Captain Marvel on the plane ride. I thought it was a fun sci-fi romp.

I found it funny that she's a casual rulebreaker, given that she's often pigeonholed as ms. Law and order.

Not a movie but i have re-watched the five seasons of Daria a couple of weeks ago.

Aaaaah, there isn't a single show who says more 90's to me than this one. (even if it lasted till 02)

What surprised me though is how my point of view on Daria changed a bit now that i'm older. She's witty and clever yes but she's indeed a kid.

Anyway, excellent show. Not sure how interesting it would be for a young person now considering how heavily 90's it is but well, lot of themes are still relevant today i imagine.

Astonishing Member

Chernobyl

I know its not a movie, just a mini series...but damn, the best show this year.

Go see it, please. Its like a horror movie just with a real background. Really scary ****. ANd i talked to many time witness, the series is as accurate as it can get...

Retired

Continuing with underappreciated Aubrey Plaza movies, watched MIKE AND DAVE NEED WEDDING DATES (2016), directed by Jake Szymanski, starring Aubrey Plaza, Anna Kendrick, Zac Efron and Adam Devine.

The movie is based on the real life Mike and Dave, but it takes a lot of liberites. I have to admit that I really don't like Adam Devine--I don't find him interesting--and I wonder why he gets so much work. Having him in the movie was a bit hard to get past, but the other actors made up for him.

With most other young actresses, the role of Tatiana wouldn't be considered a stretch--but for Aubrey Plaza, she is doing a character that's outside what we normally expect from her, so that is actually a stretch.

The true stand-out isn't the four main actors, but Sugar Lynn Beard who really goes for it and earns her paycheque. She exudes this lovable nature that makes you want the best for her--you want her to get her happy ending (and she does in a very funny scene). Give this woman more work, please.

Invincible Member

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? I'm shocked at myself that I've never watched this before.

I finally watched the Jackie Chan - Pierce Brosnan action thriller The Foreigner. It's really quite an entertaining film.

Also saw the Black Sabbath concert film The End of the End.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Retired

YESTERDAY (2019), directed by Danny Boyle, starring Himesh Patel and Lily James. Richard Curtis did the screenplay and he directed one of my favourite recent movies, ABOUT TIME (2013). He knows how to use odd fantastical plots to motivate touching romantic comedies.

I loved loved loved this movie. I only wish I'd seen it in a better theatre. One quibble would be that there's something in the trailer with James Corden that is a bait and switch. It only feels that way because they put it into the stupid trailer--if they hadn't done that, I wouldn't have minded it in the movie.

Other than that there's nothing I can say without spoiling the movie. I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but this worked for me big time. I love John, Paul, George and Ringo and I love this movie. There was a point where I was losing it--and I didn't know if I was going to make it to the end, because I was such an emotional wreck. It reminded me of the power of movies that they can affect us in such powerful ways. That this movie did this to me, tells me that it is great.

I will definitely try to see it again in a theatre--if I can find a better one in my area. I just wish I could buy the DVD right now.

Spider-Man: Far From Home. Had a great time watching this movie. Fantastic special effects and Mysterio was damned cool. Still doesn't feel as substantial as the Raimi movies, though. Peter Parker doesn't feel like Peter Parker, to me.

I give it 8.5 out of 10.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Spider-Man: Far From Home. Had a great time watching this movie. Fantastic special effects and Mysterio was damned cool. Still doesn't feel as substantial as the Raimi movies, though. Peter Parker doesn't feel like Peter Parker, to me.

I give it 8.5 out of 10.
    I have seen it to, and feel kinda the same. But its okay for me, i can live with that and liked Far from Home.

Teen Titans Go, more fun and funny than I expected, and maybe the best after credit scene since Nick Fury visited Tony Stark.

Wolf's Call. on Netflix, a French submarine movie. Hard to find a bad submarine movie, this one was pretty darn good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

JOHN WICK 1, 2, 3, directed by Chad Stahelski, starring Keanu Reeves.

The reason I didn't watch the first John Wick movie until now is because I knew something happened to a dog and that put me off seeing it. Even knowing this, it was still something I had to push through to watch the rest of the first movie and then go on to the others. I don't like seeing animals get hurt in movies--but I'm fine with human on human violence.

These movies, especially the third, have NORTH BY NORTHWEST as their grandfather and THE GENERAL as their great grandfather. Hitchcock's NORTH BY NORTHWEST, starring Cary Grant, is one of my favourite movies and what I like about it is how from the first scene Cary Grant's Roger O. Thornhill (ROT, the O stands for nothing) is carried along on one non-stop roller-coaster ride adventure, always wearing the exact same suit. Of course, Hitchcock used a lot of obvious fakery and couldn't pull off the kind of stunts in the John Wick movies. That's where Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL comes in--the bulk of that movie is a series of amazing stunts by Buster that keeps moving and moving, never stopping until it reaches its end, with nothing faked.

JOHN WICK 3 is amazing in this regard. I sat there just wondering what they must have had to do to pull off some of the stunts in the movie. But actually, moreso than the second movie, by the end I got the feeling the main reason for the movie (other than building the world) was to transition into the next movie. It was all to set up John Wick for what will happen in JOHN WICK 4.