Page 43 of 206 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's not long since I watched THE HATEFUL EIGHT and that's another movie where Tarantino takes his time. After that, I watched a youtube video that examined the whole movie and showed all the little things going on that I missed. That impressed on me that Tarantino is no dummy--everything in his best movies has a reason for being there. So if he slows down the pace and takes his time in a scene, he has a good reason for doing that. And I had that in mind when I watched ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD. Besides which, 1969 is one of my most favourite years in my life, so I was happy to spend two and a half hours there, again. The fidelity to the time period (short of actually being made at the time) is incredible.
    Exactly. There are a lot of outcomes because of that. Sometimes the payoff comes later. Other times it really gives a chance for the scene to breath and characters to develop (like the scene b/w DiCaprio and the little girl). Also, it helps build the suspense, like when Cliff visits the ranch and characters you think are one way in just a few seconds change into something else.

And there was Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee, at his most philosophical cockiness, was excellent .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    The Sixth Sense. My cousin had never seen it and I thought it was time to re-visit this movie.

Haley Joel Osment is incredible in this movie. I know people remember him being good, but I don't remember him being this good. Also, back in the day when Bruce Willis actually gave a **** about the movies he was in.
    Pretty amazing performance from that kid true enough. (well, kid back then)

Retired

When it comes to movies that move at a slow pace, I've seen quite a lot and the one that probably tried my patience the most was SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL directed by Jean Luc Godard which came out in movie theatres in April of 1969. Despite featuring the Rolling Stones and Marianne Faithful, that movie is a chore to watch. But Godard is a great film maker and one of Tarantino's favourite directors (he named his production company A Band Apart after Godard's movie, BANDE À PART).

Long takes were popular in a lot of 1960s movies. And the way that ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD meanders, not seeming to tell a distinct story until the end, reminds me of Frederico Fellini movies like LA DOLCE VITA and 8½.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    The Sixth Sense. My cousin had never seen it and I thought it was time to re-visit this movie.

Haley Joel Osment is incredible in this movie. I know people remember him being good, but I don't remember him being this good. Also, back in the day when Bruce Willis actually gave a **** about the movies he was in.
    I dont think he ever gave a ****. But his batting average was way better back then.

Retired

It was Toni Collette that impressed me the most in THE SIXTH SENSE. The big surprise wasn't a surprise to me because I figured that was what was the truth through the whole movie, so my attention was on other things. Since it wasn't a mystery to me, I don't think that the mystery element was that important. It was the acting and the direction that made the movie good.

The thing that bugged me about The Sixth Sense was the trailer ruined it.
    spoilers:
    The surprise ending with Bruce Willis is one thing. But there is a 45 minute build up where the viewer doesn't know what is going on with Haley Joe. We don't see what he sees until after he tells his Mom, "I see...", to put that moment in the commercial is the worse diservice to the audience since the Truman Show, also ruined bu the ads.
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I dont think he ever gave a ****. But his batting average was way better back then.
    Maybe he gives a ****? Maybe he is this kind of guy who seems he doesn't give a **** about his movies?

Astonishing Member

The last three movies i watched were:

.Captain Marvel.
    .Spider-Man.Into the Spider Verse.
    .Spider-Man.Far from Home.

I liked them all,but my favorite was Spider-Man.Far from Home.

Saw The Martian again yesterday. Still holds up as a great feel-good space/NASA movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Pretty amazing performance from that kid true enough. (well, kid back then)
    It was. He also did a great job in a much less popular movie that I liked quite a bit - Artificial Intelligence. It was a fascinating dark mirror update on Pinocchio that had Kubrick's sense of style and Speilberg's heart.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-29-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I watched three movies over the weekend as I began going through my mom's DVD collection to see what I was going to get rid of.

The Beniker Gang
    The Children Nobody Wanted
    Follow Me Boys
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Retired

SHUTTER ISLAND (2010), directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Never saw this movie before and I can't say I'm satisfied with it. Without giving away spoilers, every character is an unreliable narrator and you never know for sure what is real and what isn't real. At the end there's a pat explanation for what might have happened, but in order to accept that explanation you have to believe that this part of the movie is reliable when you've spent the whole time up to that point having the rug pulled out from under you.

Moreover, to accept that pat answer, you also have to accept that this psychological horror story of an island in fact exists and that all its contortions of logic can be rationalized. Scorsese does too good a job of making the audience doubt everything they're seeing. And somehow each character has tremendous psychological insight while at the same time being blind to their truths. I just don't believe any of it and that's why it's unsatisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The thing that bugged me about The Sixth Sense was the trailer ruined it.
    spoilers:
    The surprise ending with Bruce Willis is one thing. But there is a 45 minute build up where the viewer doesn't know what is going on with Haley Joe. We don't see what he sees until after he tells his Mom, "I see...", to put that moment in the commercial is the worse diservice to the audience since the Truman Show, also ruined bu the ads.
    end of spoilers
    I'm not sure how you market that movie without that though. Without that conceit you have to market it as a drama film, which would not get the right crowd out and definitely hurt word of mouth. The Sixth Sense trailer that doesn't involve any horror elements, it ends up being a film marketed towards my Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I'm not sure how you market that movie without that though. Without that conceit you have to market it as a drama film, which would not get the right crowd out and definitely hurt word of mouth. The Sixth Sense trailer that doesn't involve any horror elements, it ends up being a film marketed towards my Mom.
    Not sure either, but then I am not paid millions of dollars by Hollywood to design Ad campaigns. With a little effort, maybe they could have come up with something that didn't ruin the major plot point of the film. Then again that genie is long out of the bottle. Today, most trailers ruin plot points and big scenes. There are many trailers that show the ending. Which is why I avoid commercials and trailers for any movie I want to see. When I watch them after I see the movie, I am amazed at how much they give away.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Hellboy, stunk up a great character and previously decent movies. What's with Mila wearing a tent through the entire movie? That's not her cinematic strong point.

Extraordinary Member

Hellboy -Wasn't as bad as I expected but definitely a bad movie with jumbled storytelling and some truly disgusting scenes. Some cool Giant fights though.

Alita Battle Angel- The cgi here looks way better than it did in commercials, particularly Alita's face and eyes. Pretty good story with some great action scenes.