Page 20 of 208 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Werk Ohne Autor, German film by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (director of the acclaimed Das Leben der Anderen), inspired by the early life of artist Gerhard Richter (but instead presenting a fictional counterpart named Kurt Barnert). On first viewing, I thought it was absolutely wonderful, but I may have to revise my opinion since learning that Richter has openly criticized the film and its director, for misrepresenting elements of his life story.

EDIT: On its own, I thought it was an excellent movie. At a runtime of slightly over three hours, it never gets boring, the story doesn't lose pace. Tom Schilling absolutely shines as Kurt Barnert, his performance greatly adds to the credibility of the character's coming-of-age arc through his twenties and early thirties; he starts out with this sort of wide-eyed innocence about him, that gets shaken as the story goes along, and all of it is very present in his facial expressions and body language. It's a high-budget film that goes for wide, colourful shots, as well as tugging at the audience's heartstrings at sometimes predictable moments, but that doesn't feel out of place. Sometimes, some of the supporting characters can seem a bit like cardboard cut-outs, but I only have a minor issue with that. The scenes in which Barnert is working on his art are beautifully shot; you can feel the passion the character feels for his art.

It was interesting to see this movie so shortly after having seen Zimna Wojna, with which one can draw many parallels: both tell the story of a young artist coming up in post-WW2 Europe at the dawn of the Cold War, entering into a complicated romance, and attempting to wrest themselves free from constraints imposed upon them by peers, and find their own creative identity. But one is a black-and-white 90 minute arthouse film with music as a major element, whilst the other is a 3 hour long big budget affair that centers around painting. Neither film is politically critical per se; the Cold War and the Communist regimes its respective main characters reside in, are more of a backdrop of scenery than a main theme of the movies themselves. And that's an excellent choice on the part of both filmmakers, as either film ends up being a beautiful character-driven story that invite the viewer to look beyond perceived or self-imposed boundaries.
    Last edited by Mormel; 01-26-2019 at 03:46 AM.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It probably is. The one I mentioned is by the director of Oldboy.

I'd love to join your bookclub
    Move to Glasgow :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Retired

I will have to check out some of these German movies. I'm always looking for German movies to watch, so I can practice listening to the language.

I watched a movie directed by a German, Mennan Yapo, however this was his attempt at directing a big Hollywood movie, PREMONITION (2007), with Sandra Bullock (who herself has German heritage).

It's not a great movie, but I really like Sandra Bullock so I didn't mind it that much. The reviews for the movie are terrible and it does have a WTF ending--but the more I think about it, maybe it's actually more brilliant than everyone gives it credit for.

The woman seems to be unstuck from time and she appears to piece together the cause and effect of different days in a week, but if you really think about it there is no cause and effect and she might actually be hopping across multiple timelines. That the movie makes me think about such things is to its credit. Even if it's a bad movie, it's a bad movie worth thinking about.

Children of Men (2003)
    Se7en (1996)

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Children of Men (2003)
    Se7en (1996)
    Oh, I haven't watched Se7en for years. I love that film. The head in the box creeped me out because it was so obvious and I knew what was going to happen, but I just couldn't react. That it was so obvious prolonged the discomfort^^
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

iMan 42s

Alien Covenant
    I don't think Fox fucked up The Predator. I think it left a bit to be desired, but I can accept The Predator as a sequel in this franchise. Its divisive, but it seems the only way to fix it is down to personal preference. We've been to these same concepts before in this franchise and so I don't think it was as hard a pill to swallow.

Alien Covenant on the other-hand doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be and when it's a Prometheus sequel its fine. When it tries to be an Alien movie it falls flat on its ass. If Alien Covenant removed the extraneous 20 minutes at the end, ran with the implications of what the Engineers had been doing, and had a tighter group of characters, it would work. Except that means remaking the whole film.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

It Could Happen To You (Netflix) - Feel good movie from the 90s. I thought it was good.

The Red Turtle (Blu-ray) - I watched a YouTube video review by Chris Stuckmann and really wanted to watch this movie. I bought it on good faith because of the high praise Stuckmann gave this movie. It did not disappoint. This movie is a masterpiece. It is definitely not for everyone, as there is not a single word of dialogue from beginning to end. A fully animated movie that does a remarkable job of bringing European style of comics drawing to life with beautiful colours and an emotional story. I cannot recommend it enough.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Oh, I haven't watched Se7en for years. I love that film. The head in the box creeped me out because it was so obvious and I knew what was going to happen, but I just couldn't react. That it was so obvious prolonged the discomfort^^
    That film is great but brutal. The lust murder is terrifying.

Retired

SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1983). And now I'll be in therapy for the next twenty years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I will have to check out some of these German movies. I'm always looking for German movies to watch, so I can practice listening to the language.

I watched a movie directed by a German, Mennan Yapo, however this was his attempt at directing a big Hollywood movie, PREMONITION (2007), with Sandra Bullock (who herself has German heritage).

It's not a great movie, but I really like Sandra Bullock so I didn't mind it that much. The reviews for the movie are terrible and it does have a WTF ending--but the more I think about it, maybe it's actually more brilliant than everyone gives it credit for.

The woman seems to be unstuck from time and she appears to piece together the cause and effect of different days in a week, but if you really think about it there is no cause and effect and she might actually be hopping across multiple timelines. That the movie makes me think about such things is to its credit. Even if it's a bad movie, it's a bad movie worth thinking about.
    I am from Germany and hardly watch german movies. I find them quiet boring, but sometimes there are some gems. I dont know if the movie " Der Vorname" (translation: The first name) is translated in englisch or not, but its hilarious. There is an upcoming father who wants to name his first child Adolf. His family is going nuts over it. There are only five actors in it, and it plays just in a house.

Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Sacrilege. Denzels performance in that movie is one of my all time favorites.
    Now I'm genuinely curious what you liked about it in particular and why you felt it stood out from 100 other corrupt cop characters.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-29-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Now I'm genuinely curious what you liked about it in particular and why you felt it stood out from 100 other corrupt cop characters.
    Its defiently not Denzels best dramatic performance but I feel like it's his more charismatic and definetly his most quotable. Much like Tony Saprano he plays a bad guy but through pure charisma you find them likable. Corrupt cops are usually unlikable characters. Also Lonzos a control freak and a criminal but whatever bad hes doing they make it clear that his presence made the street safer. The TV show even explored it further and showed LA turned into a war zone after he died. And I kinda liked the conflict between Hoty and Lonzo. Between doing what's right and doing what's nessecary. Daredevil season 2 explore it with Frank and Matt

As a whole I dont think the movie is best thing ever but Denzel performance imo was great and award worthy. Like I feel like he deserved it and it wasn't just a pity win because they screwed him on Malcom X.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Training Day with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. Decent film but not Oscar-worthy for anyone involved. Its literally like a million other films about corrupt cops and had nothing new to say at all. But the neighborhood dudes standing around in the bad neighborhoods were pretty dope!
    Blasphemy! Has Denzel ever played a villain TD aside? Corrupt cops were nothing new (probably even back then) but this well made?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Another German here and I also dislike most of what they put on TV over here. I can recommend the movies by Fatih Akin (especially GEGEN DIE WAND und SOUL KITCHEN) and Leander Haußmann (Sonnenallee, Herr Lehmann). There are two awesome comedies by Markus Goller: Eine ganz heisse Nummer and 25km/h
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-31-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Blasphemy! Has Denzel ever played a villain TD aside? Corrupt cops were nothing new (probably even back then) but this well made?
    True villian no. He was the bad guy for a minute of screen time and narration in Fallen. He was the bad guy for part of Safe House till you learn the truth so again no. Yea Training day is how only true villian role and even then the strength if the character is how charming he still was. Really wish those casting rumor of him as Lex Luthor in BvS woulda been true. Coulda been a different movie, or maybe the same movie and its for the best Denzel wasnt involved