Page 174 of 206 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3077
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Everything Everywhere All At Once

This two plus hour mish-mash (and that’s being kind) won the Oscar for Best Picture? Seriously? There had been a good half dozen times I nearly hit the stop button because it just plain made no sense and was flat out stupid on occasion. Maybe I’m too lowbrow to appreciate the intricacies of this film critics gushed over like high school girls over the varsity quarterback, but I failed to understand it, and that made watching it a chore, never mind trying to like it, and I couldn’t.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Loved that movie WPP. Sorry you didn't get it.

Marcel, The Shell with Shoes On. Charming, unique film. It uses stop motion, but it is hard to categorize it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Loved that movie WPP. Sorry you didn't get it.
    Well, it wasn’t for lack of effort. I wanted to like that movie, if but for no other reason than it starred Michelle Yeoh, one of my all time favorite actresses, but I couldn’t. Perhaps I need to watch it a second time to figure it out.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, it wasn’t for lack of effort. I wanted to like that movie, if but for no other reason than it starred Michelle Yeoh, one of my all time favorite actresses, but I couldn’t. Perhaps I need to watch it a second time to figure it out.
    Same here. maybe I will give it another try someday.

This two plus hour mish-mash (and that’s being kind) won the Oscar for Best Picture? Seriously? There had been a good half dozen times I nearly hit the stop button because it just plain made no sense and was flat out stupid on occasion. Maybe I’m too lowbrow to appreciate the intricacies of this film critics gushed over like high school girls over the varsity quarterback, but I failed to understand it, and that made watching it a chore, never mind trying to like it, and I couldn’t.
    Time travel and multiple dimensions will do that to people...You know how many times I had to watch Memento to get it all to click...

I had been initially interested in EEAAO, just from the trailer, but a good friend of mine saw it and he really didn't like it. He and I share similar tastes so the movie dropped off my radar for seeing it in theatre. But I plan to see it eventually just to see what the hubbub is all about.

My gut feeling is that its popularity is transitory and it won't be on any top 100 lists in 20 years.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Invincible Member

Hell Comes To Frogtown 1988 starring Roddy Piper. Two and half stars...I wouldn't call it necessarily "good" but it's entertaining for what it is. Basically a satire on post-apocalyptic action movies, Roddy is one the last potent men left in the country and is coerced into working for the govt into freeing women captured by mutant frog men. Horrible line reading in the first half the movie, things get better in the second half. Has an interesting subtext in that it's trying to criticize misogyny while criticizing feminism at the same time.
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-25-2023 at 07:17 AM.

Astonishing Member

Justice League vs. the Fatal Five - as usual the plot was lame and the heroes forgot their powers. Power levels went up and down. Batman punches out dudes that just recovered from superstrength hits. The physics of the sun save - haha! The sun was breaking up as if it were solid. Supes didn't have the strength when he was plunging into a yellow sun?

They've done better movies.

Mighty Member

Horror Hospital (1973) on Amazon Prime. Michael Gough is a mad doctor who hates young people, so he lobotomizes them and controls them with computers. He also has a car that decapitates people.

Invincible Member

Frankenhooker 1990 directed by Frank Henenlotter who did Basket Case back in the early 80's which was a popular messed up horror movie back in the day. The premise is a guy's girlfriend dies and he tries to bring her back in the body he's assembled from dead hookers. I went in with really low expectations but for what it is, it's actually a not terrible horror comedy. James Lorinz as the lead is actually a pretty decent actor and really sells much of it by playing his part straight.

I don't know how many people remember when talk show host Morton Downey Jr was popular, but in the movie there's a parody of his show.

Also, there's a scene where someone holds up a bag of "super crack"...it looks exactly like the speed on Breaking Bad. I'm wondering what the prop is...plastic chips or something?

Me personally, I don't indulge in the concept of "Nothing matters, everything you do is a waste of time", it's dour and unpleasant for me to think that way.
    I liked the idea the trailers showed of crazy fun martial arts adventures that would be easily enjoyable, but as soon as a security guard decided to take off his pants to jump on a stamp to let it up his rectum to engage in a fight is when I completely lost interest and thought this was just pointless nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Same here. maybe I will give it another try someday.
    If you can enjoy it on second view that will make it at least a positive decision. I hope I don't give it another shot, nor do I want to contemplate the idea.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Invincible Member

I finally got around to watching Pearl (2022). Prequel to the horror movie X. Three stars. I really enjoyed it. I'd say it works more as a Hitchcockian drama though than an over the top slasher flick.

Astonishing Member

Scream 1 and 2

In my memory they were pretty tame, but they are not. Brutal as hell, with stars and guest stars and b-or c-stars. Pretty fun movies.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Just saw RENFIELD. It wasn't at all what I expected. It felt like an 80s comedy action horror, but very over the top bloody and not really scary. I mean, a huge portion of the budget must have gone into buckets of fake blood. It wasn't as good as say Fright Night, but it had a similar vibe, but far more action and bloody. I didn't realize that Robert Kirkman was responsible for the story.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?