Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
It's not long since I watched THE HATEFUL EIGHT and that's another movie where Tarantino takes his time. After that, I watched a youtube video that examined the whole movie and showed all the little things going on that I missed. That impressed on me that Tarantino is no dummy--everything in his best movies has a reason for being there. So if he slows down the pace and takes his time in a scene, he has a good reason for doing that. And I had that in mind when I watched ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD. Besides which, 1969 is one of my most favourite years in my life, so I was happy to spend two and a half hours there, again. The fidelity to the time period (short of actually being made at the time) is incredible.
Exactly. There are a lot of outcomes because of that. Sometimes the payoff comes later. Other times it really gives a chance for the scene to breath and characters to develop (like the scene b/w DiCaprio and the little girl). Also, it helps build the suspense, like when Cliff visits the ranch and characters you think are one way in just a few seconds change into something else.

And there was Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee, at his most philosophical cockiness, was excellent .