Page 58 of 208 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

1917, brilliant film making.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Saw Underwater cause my girl wanted to watch a horror film(I wanted to watch Just Mercy but neither of us were in a mood for 2+ hour film.)

Underwater was way more entertaining then I thought it be. I was expecting the worse and it turned out to be a fun hour and a half. Literaly there is no prologue or set up. What you see in the trailer starts 45secs into the movie which I loved. And the movie moves at that pace throughout . The characters I found to be highly likable especially TJ millers character weirdly enough. It wasnt great or even good but I Enjoyed it. For anyone who watches it theres a reveal at the end that was so unnecessary spoilers:
    All the monsters are like parasites on a giant Kiju sized monster. The small ones were a threat enough on theyrr own. Didnt need a giant monster
    end of spoilers

Also the pressurized suits they wear look cool and show me that a Gears of war movie could look badass. I mean TJ miller was the biggest person in one these suits lol throw Bautista in one of them with a few small alterations and you Marcus from GOW.

Children Who Chase Voices. An earlier Shinkai film (Your Name). Beautiful but too influenced by Myasaki. Still worth watching.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

I watched Polar today. The plot was fairly basic but it was a fun, over the top action film. I really enjoyed Mikkelson in the main role.

Astonishing Member

Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker

It didn't do for me. I had the feeling any star was shoved in to get some sort of closure, or to please the fanboys. It dragged a bit, but not a bad movie per se. Better than Last Jedi.

Its good that they take a break with the movies.

But I am very excited for the Mandalorian. Hope it will air over here, soon

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker

It didn't do for me. I had the feeling any star was shoved in to get some sort of closure, or to please the fanboys. It dragged a bit, but not a bad movie per se. Better than Last Jedi.

Its good that they take a break with the movies.

But I am very excited for the Mandalorian. Hope it will air over here, soon
    I think I would really like ROS if it wasnt a Star wars movie. I liked the action and characters so much. I just hated all the implications that movie had on the Star wars Mythos. The legacy and that the force can just do anything now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think I would really like ROS if it wasnt a Star wars movie. I liked the action and characters so much. I just hated all the implications that movie had on the Star wars Mythos. The legacy and that the force can just do anything now.
    Yes, they are practically Marvel Superheroes now...

King Kong, both the original and the Jackson remake.

In the original, Kong had the cutest face, it was hilarious.

As for the remake- I remember liking it better when it first came out. This time, all of those old horror camera tricks that Jackson put into the movie took me right out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    King Kong, both the original and the Jackson remake.

In the original, Kong had the cutest face, it was hilarious.

As for the remake- I remember liking it better when it first came out. This time, all of those old horror camera tricks that Jackson put into the movie took me right out.
    My own personal view is that when a 90 minute movie is remade as a 3 hour movie, the original is usually better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    1917, brilliant film making.
    Saw it this past weekend. It was a tense thrilling story, beautifully filmed, that made me feel like I went through everything the main characters went through. Best movie of the year.

Retired

If it wasn't for COIE, I would go to see 1917 this cheapskate Tuesday--maybe next. But I feel like the movie deserves to be punished--I hate when movies swoop in at the last minute in limited release so they can get nominations and put on ten best lists, when they actually aren't available to the rest of us until the following year. I wonder if 1917 counted as a 2020 movie, coming out in January, would enough people remember it by December 2020 to put it on their ten best lists and nominate it for awards?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If it wasn't for COIE, I would go to see 1917 this cheapskate Tuesday--maybe next. But I feel like the movie deserves to be punished--I hate when movies swoop in at the last minute in limited release so they can get nominations and put on ten best lists, when they actually aren't available to the rest of us until the following year. I wonder if 1917 counted as a 2020 movie, coming out in January, would enough people remember it by December 2020 to put it on their ten best lists and nominate it for awards?
    That is very normal for Awards season. They are playing according to the rules. And it deserves the attention it is getting. So in this case it has worked to make a movie that might get passed over a success.

Went and saw Little Women over the weekend. Really good film with a bunch of great performances. I heard two of the actors were nominated for Oscars and the movie got six total nominations. Well deserved.

So people are talking about the director getting "snubbed" because of nomination. Here is my thought on that - the movie was only fairly well directed. It was one of the oddest directorial takes I've seen in a movie, period, for no apparent reason. The film was good in spite of the directing!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-13-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I know I'm just a drop in the bucket in the film world (I watch about 40-50 new films per year and I just have a Letterbox and post on reddit), but personally, 1917 is going to count towards my 2020 films because it wasn't released in my area until now. But I don't know why you want it to be punished. It had a qualifying limited release. And like Kirby101 said, this way is giving it attention that it may not have had otherwise.

Retired

1917 will be one of those movies that falls between the seat cushions for me. Because, if I end up liking it, I can't put it on my best of 2019 as I won't have seen it in 2019, but I can't put it on my best of 2020 list since it has a 2019 date.

For a discussion of how Oscar-bait movies have moved to the last three months of the year, you guys should really check out "Charting with Dan" on SJU. Dan Murrell has pie-charts and everything.