Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 280
  1. #256
    older Mormel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,619

    Default

    Interesting recommendation in Arrietty, Speed Force. When it comes to Ghibli movies, this one gets overlooked quite often it seems. It's maybe not as flashy as a Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. I saw it almost 7 years ago now, but never revisited it since. I do remember loving it very much when I saw it.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

  2. #257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Interesting recommendation in Arrietty, Speed Force. When it comes to Ghibli movies, this one gets overlooked quite often it seems. It's maybe not as flashy as a Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. I saw it almost 7 years ago now, but never revisited it since. I do remember loving it very much when I saw it.
    I saw that one for the first time two years ago, and thought it was necessary to recommend it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

  3. #258
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    The list I prepared -mostly- by memory:
    • The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi: You don't need to have esoteric knowledge of the show to enjoy this nearly three hours long movie, I don't care about the main series, and it gave enough. There is a bit of a rush near the end though.
    • Grave of the Fireflies: A Studio Ghibli movie that is Easy for me to recommend.
    • Arrietty: Another Studio Ghibli movie that is easy to recommend.
    • Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal: This one is a serialized OVA, but I think I read somewhere that a movie version of it exists. If you can find the alleged movie version of this samurai story then do it, if not, you can at least enjoy the series.
    • Kimi No Nawa/ Your Name: Time travel logic is effy in this one, but the rest of the film is great.
    • Koe no Katashi/ A Silent Voice: Sounds like a horror title, but it's not.
    Thanx. Eventually I will give all of them a watch except for Grave. Having already seen it. Curious about your other recommendations. Will let you know my thoughts when time comes.

  4. #259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Thanx. Eventually I will give all of them a watch except for Grave. Having already seen it. Curious about your other recommendations. Will let you know my thoughts when time comes.
    I hope you enjoy them.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

  5. #260
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    16,787

    Default

    batnbreakfast: The works of the late Satoshi Kon, like Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and my personal favorite, Millennium Actress are also very good.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  6. #261
    Astonishing Member Arfguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,810

    Default

    I Saw The Devil. Damned brutal movie...with a very hollow feeling ending. Loved it.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

  7. #262
    A Gentle Woman Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Corner Office
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Mary Poppins Returns: I only saw it because I like Emily Blunt. While she was fine. I just found the film a chore and boring.
    The Favourite: Awesome film, while billed as comedy. It is a psychological drama about the nature of relationships and how quickly they can change. Rachel Weisz in the role of Sarah Churchill was awesome. It was like watching the historical inspiration for Emma Frost or Medusa. She actually (unofficially) ran England.
    Mary Queen of Scots: Interesting film, beautifully shot. Some of it was overwrought but I found it inspiring how both the protagonists took their duty to serve their people. Soirsa Ronan was incredible.
    • "Now with God’s help. I will become myself.” Soren Kierkegaard
    • “The key to what I was and am and shall ever strive to be—is knowledge and mastery of self! My strength! My will! My soul! Forever my own!” –Storm (Uncanny X Men 214)
    • Life is [supposed to be] hard. After all, it kills you.-Katherine Hepburn

  8. #263
    Mighty Member Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    I'm not sure this counts, technically it's a TV adaptation, but it's three hours and I watched it as a movie :P

    I just finished Fingersmith, having read the book last week. It was good, but I shouldn't have watched it so soon after reading the novel!

  9. #264
    Astonishing Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,103

    Default

    I just watched "Solo" on Netflix, the first time I've seen it and I really don't get all the negativity.

    I'm not saying it's the greatest movie ever made or the greatest Star Wars movie but it's not the worst either.

    On it's own merits, it was quite good.

    I can see criticisms that Han Solo was too much of a good guy from the start but that can be explained by a hard life as a smuggler before we see him in the original Star Wars movie. I can see that people want things to move forward.

    I liked that things weren't black and white. There were nuances. People had reasons for who they were.

    There were certainly scenes derivative of the original trilogy but that was okay.

    Maybe it was the time the movie was released and what the competition was. Timing can and often is the difference between overwhelming success and a flop.

    Even if the movie had been otherwise abysmal (which it was not), I would give it credit just for Han shooting the guy, a clear statement that they were not going to make arguably Lucas's biggest mistake. They were making it absolutely clear that Han shot first.
    In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with liberty and justice for all!

  10. #265
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    batnbreakfast: The works of the late Satoshi Kon, like Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and my personal favorite, Millennium Actress are also very good.
    Thanx Frank! Keep fighting the good fight!

  11. #266
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I'm not sure this counts, technically it's a TV adaptation, but it's three hours and I watched it as a movie :P

    I just finished Fingersmith, having read the book last week. It was good, but I shouldn't have watched it so soon after reading the novel!
    Also see Ah-Ga-Ssi another adaptation. Didn't know about Fingersmith

  12. #267
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I just watched "Solo" on Netflix, the first time I've seen it and I really don't get all the negativity.

    I'm not saying it's the greatest movie ever made or the greatest Star Wars movie but it's not the worst either.

    On it's own merits, it was quite good.

    I can see criticisms that Han Solo was too much of a good guy from the start but that can be explained by a hard life as a smuggler before we see him in the original Star Wars movie. I can see that people want things to move forward.

    I liked that things weren't black and white. There were nuances. People had reasons for who they were.

    There were certainly scenes derivative of the original trilogy but that was okay.

    Maybe it was the time the movie was released and what the competition was. Timing can and often is the difference between overwhelming success and a flop.

    Even if the movie had been otherwise abysmal (which it was not), I would give it credit just for Han shooting the guy, a clear statement that they were not going to make arguably Lucas's biggest mistake. They were making it absolutely clear that Han shot first.
    I was under the impression people who saw it liked it but not alot of people saw it

  13. #268
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,217

    Default

    Rewatched UNBREAKABLE and SPLIT, back to back, yesterday. Then went to see GLASS today.

    It was rewarding to have the other movies fresh in my mind as I watched GLASS. And I was quite satisfied with the entire experience.

    Can't really give any spoilers, but I will say I'm glad that they got Spencer Treat Clark to return to the role of David Dunn's son, Joseph. Some movies would have a different actor play the grown up role, but it was important to have the same eyes staring out from the screen.

    One thing I noticed with all these movies, is that M. Night likes to turn the camera upside down or sideways to show the world from the view of individual characters. And I was wondering if there's some deeper message represented by the world being turned on its head.
    sorry 🍁

  14. #269
    Mighty Member Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Also see Ah-Ga-Ssi another adaptation. Didn't know about Fingersmith
    Oh, is that 'The Handmaiden', the same adaptation? I've heard it's really very good. We covered Fingersmith at a bookclub and somebody mentioned that her other works have good adaptations too.

  15. #270
    Incredible Member C_Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I was under the impression people who saw it liked it but not alot of people saw it
    A lot of people saw it. It made almost 400 million dollars. It's all relative, but you can't say that not a lot of people saw it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •