Page 123 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 3076
    Retired

BLACK ORPHEUS [or ORFEU NEGRO in Portuguese] (1959), directed by Marcel Camus.

I've seen this movie several times by now and no doubt will again. What gets you going from the first minute is the beat of the music that's in a frenzy. Then the constant movement of the actors to the beat. And then it's two boys--I wish I could find their names, because they're the ticket, especially the one boy who follows Orfeu on his tragic enterprise--and you see the adult characters through their eyes. For those boys, everything is possible. It is absolutely necessary that someone play the guitar each morning so the sun may rise. This is just the truth as they see it.

This movie won all kinds of awards when it came out. And it popularized the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro for the rest of the world. And no doubt that's what changed the celebration from what we see in the movie to what I've seen in Rio myself in recent years.

Everyone owes it to themselves to see this movie at least once in their life.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

Bad Boys (1995)
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

Fantasy Island.

Fun movie, don't take it too seriously.

"Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" is a great film. And it takes on a new meaning with Boseman's passing.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

this week i watched Big Trouble in Little China

and also Minority Report

Amazing Member

Alita: Battle Angel

Wow, that was fun. I hope they do a sequel

Astonishing Member

Captain America for the second time. Liked it better then the first time, saw things I missed and can appreciate it more.

I know it came out about 18 years ago but I saw Bad Boys II for the first time the other day.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

"Cats", at least as much as I could bear. Beyond the creepy, sexualized, kinda naked actors. A big problem with the movie is it is just depression. The mood throughout is the characters are in a state of struggle and barely surviving, all the songs are done in such a sad, downcast manor that there is zero joy in the whole thing. Something the stage play had. So first, this should have been animated or put the actors in costumes like the stage version. And second, don't sap any once of fun from it.

You can just see here, Betty Buckley sings Memories as an affirmation of love.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jennifer Hudson cries through it and sings it as a dirge of regret.

It's a friggin movie about dancing cats! Who thought it was a good idea to make it so depressing?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Now, I feel embarrassed because when I hear the name Betty Buckley, I think of her recent roles in things like SPLIT. I didn't know she had those pipes and was the "Voice of Broadway." How did I not know this? [smack to the head emoji]

Astonishing Member

Captain Marvel for the second time. Watching the MCU in chronological time line order is a good idea I have to say. I see things I missed before and like it even better than the first time, though I feel indifferent about Brie Larson. Sometimes I like her and sometimes I think she comes over as cocky. Jude Law made a good mean bad guy :-)

The cgi on Nick Fury was top notch, other altered faces in movie history are way below that of this showing. I am looking at you Supermans face and DeNiro and Pacino in Irshman.

And I love the green suits of the Kree.

Chronologically as they were released, or actual time. As in First Avenger, Captain Marvel, Iron Man....

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Fantasy Island.

Fun movie, don't take it too seriously.
    Someone actually liked the fantasy island movie? Did you ever see the tv show?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Jennifer Hudson cries through it and sings it as a dirge of regret.

It's a friggin movie about dancing cats! Who thought it was a good idea to make it so depressing?
    Wow, thats horrifying. Thanks for that.

Haven't see the movie Cats yet, because I found the original musical to be very depressing. The whole thing is about death, and not in a good way. All the cats are homeless beings who lead lives of quiet desperation. Its pretty much Sartre's No Exit without all the inherent happiness of that story (sarcasm, haha).

Andrew Lloyd Webber is absolutely one of my all-time favorites, and I like cats as animals, but I've never gotten the Cats phenomena.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-12-2021 at 02:47 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.