Page 101 of 206 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 3085
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Lately, I've been watching a fair number of pre-Code Hollywood movies from the early 1930s, especially any featuring Barbara Stanwyck or Joan Blondell.

One of my favourites so far is NIGHT NURSE (1931), directed by William A. Wellman, starring Stanwyck and Blondell as two nurses in training. I adore these two women--they are strong, independant, capable and combative. Clark Gable has a small role, but his character is a louse.

I love how the people talk in the 1930s, I wish that style of conversation would come back. Barbara and Joan are always calling each other "sister." Great.
    Black girls are calling their friends or other black girls sister. it doesn't work anymore when you are white.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    JOKER (2019)

I don't know if any name came out of the comics other than Thomas Wayne and Gotham, most of them are probably original. I enjoyed it as a movie, but I don't think I'm willing to call it a comicbook movie.
    I think it works as an Elseworlds comic book. It's not a super-hero movie, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    JOKER (2019)

I don't know if any name came out of the comics other than Thomas Wayne and Gotham, most of them are probably original. I enjoyed it as a movie, but I don't think I'm willing to call it a comicbook movie.
    It is more a sequel to Scorsese's King of Comedy. If you made Phoenix another clown at the end, it's the same movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Watched the 1978 version of DEATH ON THE NILE, featuring an all-star cast. A good portion of the movie was filmed on location in Egypt, at some of the most popular tourist sites. Given it would be impossible to go on a trip to Egypt now, this movie provides that experience at no cost and from the safety of your own home.

I figured out the solution to the mystery before Poirot. The Belgian detective is quite irresponsible in how he reveals the solution--given he gathers a bunch of innocent people in a room with the killer, who could murder any one of them. If Poirot knows whodunnit, he should make sure to put the killer in a locked room until the police can take him or her into custody.
    Ahh, but if a killer thought he could get away with it, why give himself away?

Death on the Nile starred Peter Ustinov as Poirot, right? I'm used to David Suchet as the dapper Belgian from the BBC TV series myself.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Ahh, but if a killer thought he could get away with it, why give himself away?

Death on the Nile starred Peter Ustinov as Poirot, right? I'm used to David Suchet as the dapper Belgian from the BBC TV series myself.
    Paramount's 1978 DEATH ON THE NILE was a follow-up to their 1974 production of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS--even though the 1974 movie featured Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot, which was probably more faithful to the books, whereas Ustinov assumed the role in the 1978--but he's such a great actor that I don't really mind his changes to the character. Since I'd seen the first movie some months ago, I opted to see this one (with its all-star cast). Another movie with Ustinov, EVIL UNDER THE SUN, came out in 1982, which I'll likely watch in the near future. It's seeing so many beloved actors in one movie together that is the real treat.

Watched Star Trek IV, it was still great. I don't think I'll be watching the movie that came after.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I think it works as an Elseworlds comic book. It's not a super-hero movie, though.
    I'd give it that, if it had more comicbook names and personalities I can recognize or find about on DC wikia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It is more a sequel to Scorsese's King of Comedy. If you made Phoenix another clown at the end, it's the same movie.
    I heard this assessment before, and I think it's plausible.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

just watched Hardware (1990), a very underrated cyberpunk film

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    just watched Hardware (1990), a very underrated cyberpunk film
    The life of director Richard Stanley (Island of Dr Moreau) is even more entertaining than his movies. He gives off Alan Moore vibes
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-15-2020 at 06:44 AM.

3 IDIOTS

All is well indeed
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Just saw the theatrical re-release of Inception, in order to prepare myself for the release of Tenet. Inceptionis hands down one of my all time favourite films. Apart from the whole thing on dreams etc. There were 3 important take-aways I got from watching. The first is, if we don't forgive ourselves for whatever it is, or let go of the past good or bad. It can affect us and hamper our ability to function. And the second is, you can't help or take responsibility for other people's mindsets and choices. And thirdly (since Inception is tangentially about story telling) in order to write you need to write, like a dream the story unfolds as it is being told. So waiting for inspiration or an idea to come doesn't really work. I have found that often as I start to write, better ideas start to emerge and I end up chucking what I had originally started writing about. It's like the whole layers of dreams in the film.
    Last edited by Mia; 08-16-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes & Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Fantastic movies.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

Watched KING KONG (1933), directed by Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack, and ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932), directed by Erle C. Kenton.

KING KONG was the first big budget special effects spectacle of the talkies. Cooper was the creative force behind the picture. R.K.O. wanted the composer Max Steiner to just recycle music from previous films, but Cooper paid Steiner $50,000 out of his own pocket for an original score. The Empire State Building had just been completed in 1931 and was already a recognizable landmark for the epic conclusion. Willis O'Brien was in charge of the stop motion effects.

When I was a kid in school, our library had all of the H.G. Wells science fiction books. For a time there, he was my favourite writer and I consumed all of them. THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOREAU is the book that shocked me the most. It was truly a work of horror. Laughton's portrayal of Moreau in the 1932 movie is chilling. At a brisk 71 minutes, the movie is mercifully short. The novel puts its protagonist (Edward Pendrick) through a long ordeal on the island. Wells was not too happy with the movie.

One thing I never understood as a kid was why "vivisection" was made out to be a crime against nature in the book (as it is also in the movie). Vivisection, in its neutral connotation, is surgery on a living being--which is a routine procedure. Moreau's real crime isn't being a surgeon--it's playing god with living creatures. In the movie, Laughton's character doesn't seem to use any anaesthesia in his surgeries, which is obviously sadistic (and pretty stupid for a doctor).

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes & Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Fantastic movies.
    Yes. Made me look forward to his The Batman

Power Project on Netflix. Pretty good action movie with a super powers slant.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!