Page 11 of 206 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Life

I liked some of the camera work and the twist was pretty interesting (though I'm always fooled by twists), but the movie left me feeling a little dry.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Fantastic Beasts 2

Really liked it from start to finish. It had more of a direct relationship to the Potter films and it had a much more interesting plot than the first movie, I thought. This felt much more like a wizard film and less like a setup film.

There are minor quibbles:

-Dumbledore can't fight Grindlewald because of the bloodbond, but he can just work around it by destroying the bloodbond trinket thing? Wizard bloodbonds are kind of crap, if that is the case
    -Why not just have Dumbledore transfer Grindlewald? Supposedly neither of them can fight each other, so it would be checkmate.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    spoilers:
    I was under the impression that the boy was supposed to get away, but when he got killed, this inspired the general to step up the plan to destroy Overwatch?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well then that lady dumb for putting her kid in that kinda danger In the first place. Iono just seems like bad writing to me. Woulda been better if Li was a quadruple agent and set all of that up on purpose.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    spoilers:
    I was under the impression that the boy was supposed to get away, but when he got killed, this inspired the general to step up the plan to destroy Overwatch?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well then that lady dumb for putting her kid in that kinda danger In the first place. Iono just seems like bad writing to me. Woulda been better if Li was a quadruple agent and set all of that up on purpose.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Ant-Man and the Wasp
    was hoping to love the movie but it was Ok only, the jokes in the first half felt forced, maybe I was in the wrong mind set for it.
    They could have brought back Yellowjacket for Janet and Henry to kick his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Life

I liked some of the camera work and the twist was pretty interesting (though I'm always fooled by twists), but the movie left me feeling a little dry.
    Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence together in prison should have been a better film experience.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Fantastic beasts 2.

I liked it but it is not good as the first film. I hope the third is a return to form.

Deadpool 2
    it was a blast in cinema again on home video, a movie I did not expect to like but there's some heart and effort despite all the language and bad jokes, there's even good jokes and kudos to Mr Reynolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence together in prison should have been a better film experience.
    Thought they meant the jake Gyllenhaal movie. Though I loved that life. Bernice mac had cracking up "I'm the pappy"

Retired

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (2017), Yorgos Lanthimos director. No spoiler but there is no killing of a sacred deer in this movie, but I guess giving it that title sets up that metaphor in the mind before you watch the movie. Still, I was bracing to see the killing of a deer in the movie--and that may have made me hesitate to watch it (don't like seeing animals killed in movies).

The director has a cool way of filming scenes that breaks from Hollywood tradition. For instance there's a long scene where someone is eating spaghetti, but for a great portion of the scene we just see Nicole Kidman's face, while the other person is talking and eating. The convention would be to show the person talking, but instead the camera lingers on her face.

All the reviews on youtube I've seen, after watching the movie, talk about its metaphorical meaning. Which is one way of talking about the movie without giving anything away. But in the movie someone says that something is a metaphor when it's clearly a literal thing and not a metaphor. And I think talking about symbols and metaphors distances people from the graphic reality of the movie. It's a very creepy movie, so you might want to hide from its creep by interpreting it as simply an allegory.

It's easy to see a connection to Ancient Greek theatre--but the Greeks believed that their stories were real and not mere allegories. Seeing the play was supposed to teach the audience how to live a good life.

In this movie, the flaw in all the characters is that they are so distant and detached. If they had more connection to the world and each other, then they wouldn't be in this mess. If you as a viewer are engaging in intellectual interpretations of what you see on the screen, then you're falling into that trap of detachment, as well. If there's any hopeful message in the film then it's that we all would be better off living an authentic life.

Sicario- Day of the Soldado
    as frightening and sad as the first one

In two days I watched 3 sequels, I'm so proud

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thought they meant the jake Gyllenhaal movie. Though I loved that life. Bernice mac had cracking up "I'm the pappy"
    Someone else who knows that movie. Nice.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Someone else who knows that movie. Nice.
    It's a classic for me. Martin Lawerence playing the straight man to Eddie worked well. The message was heavy handed but worker well for me. The whole cornvmbred scene is hilarious aswell. "YOU Gonna eat that cornbread?!" Lol I miss Eddie Murphy he made two of the best Stand up specials ever and then did alot of hilarious movies. Then Dream girls got to his head and he started talking himself too serious I think. Wish we could get him making movies like that again. Cause even if the movie was bad u knew Eddie Murphy was gonna keep u laughing.

Finished Rumble in the Bronx, I forgot how much fun it was.

Now I'm watching the Legend of the Drunken Master. Probably gonna watch more kung fu movies this week.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

HEREDITARY (2018), directed by Ari Aster.

It's the use of sound and music that can bother me much more than visuals. I can control visuals--I can shut my eyes, take off my glasses, look away--and I can intellectualize about the visuals. I can't control what's coming in my ears, except by turning off the movie or leaving the theatre. I was very tempted to turn this movie off because the soundtrack was so annoying to my ears and I only got through it by turning down the sound as much as I could while still hearing the dialogue.

I once lived across the alley from a restaurant and one year they got a refrigerator truck that was plugged in all the time and made this humming sound that came into my apartment at all hours of the day and night and it nearly drove me crazy. That's what this movie was like with a certain sound that kept playing through most of the movie.

I guess the movie was strong enough that I was willing to get through it and not turn it off. But I question the director's confidence in his own movie if so many scenes have to be supported by this creepy soundtrack. Surely, if what's happening on screen is creepy, then the audience doesn't need to be told that through sounds that aren't a natural part of what's going on. A little creepy music here and there, I'm okay with, but so much relentless noise in my ear through most of the movie was really not needed.

Apparently most viewers have no problem with sounds like I do. But for those that don't understand, I'd say it's like if you were watching the movie and the whole time a rat was gnawing on your foot. As much as you might want to watch the movie, you need to get away from the rat.