Page 111 of 204 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 3051
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Recent watch: Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    They're my neighbors. Stop watching them, danggit

Extraordinary Member

Lego starwars holiday special. So Finn is in training to be a Jedi after the fact...in the lego universe anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Which one?
    I refuse to watch just one.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    They're my neighbors. Stop watching them, danggit
    I'm watching you, too...don't feel excluded.

Watched last night: The Equalizer. Antoine Fuqua makes amazing looking movies and his action sequences are usually very awesome. Makes me wish he was somehow the director for the MCU Blade movie.
    Last edited by Arfguy; 11-21-2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: movies, plural
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Ultimate Member

The Last Days of American Crime-Someone mentioned this movie a few months ago and wasn't impressed and boy were they right. What a bloated mess. It should have been a stripped down Tarantino romp or old grindhouse style flick, instead they made a lumbering boring generic action movie.

Extraordinary Member

New Mutants...ugh. They really sunk the chars with the new backstories and waay too much talking and angst. Should have just gone with the comic version.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    New Mutants...ugh. They really sunk the chars with the new backstories and waay too much talking and angst. Should have just gone with the comic version.
    Somehow I get the feeling that X-Factor made for TV film is at the very least is more interested in showing powers and giving the story a bad guy. I watched it twice and was entertained by it both times.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Underwater, taught action/scifi thriller, the darkness from the setting (deep underwater) did strain my eyes at times.

Doolittle, not great, but had it's charm. The stunt casting of the voices was distracting.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Somehow I get the feeling that X-Factor made for TV film is at the very least is more interested in showing powers and giving the story a bad guy. I watched it twice and was entertained by it both times.
    Eh I guess if someone wasn't really into the original New Mutants they could like the movie. But for me this movie could have been named something totally different. And even had the chars have different names no powers at all and it would'v e made no real difference.

I got no problem with standard super hero stories. Experimental stories can be good too but it's better to experiment with new chars.

Retired

THE PURCHASE PRICE (1932), directed by William Wellman, based on the novel THE MUD LARK by Arthur Stringer, starring Barbara Stanwyck and George Brent.

What a great movie this is. But I was expecting the story to take place in western Canada. The movie leads one to think so, yet the place is identified as being in North Dakota. This hardly made sense to me as Stanwyck's character is a mail order bride coming out by train from Montreal and where she ends up looks like it should be in Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Arthur Stringer was a Canadian writer--I haven't read THE MUD LARK, but it wouldn't surprise me if the novel is set in either province and they simply changed the name of the location for the movie to North Dakota, which borders both provinces. One detail that makes it pretty clear to me that the town is in Canada is that the hotel is "The Dominion Hotel." We have lots of Dominion Hotels and Dominion everything else in Canada because we are the Dominion of Canada.

It would make me happy to imagine Stanwyck's character did come out from Montreal to Saskatchewan to marry a farmer, because that's exactly what my grandmother did. She came out by train from Montreal to marry my grandfather, who had a farmstead in Saskatchewan. Mind you, she had met him before this, so she knew the man she was going to marry.

THE PLEASURE GARDEN (1925) directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I saw this movie many years ago, but I forgot where the story goes. It takes some pretty dark turns. Quite shocking given it's Hitch's first feature film. He doesn't pull his punches. And the actor who plays Levet--Miles Mander--puts in a splendid performance as this disturbed individual.

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

I still can't believe what happens to Superman. it just doesn't make sense it is suppose to be the dawn of Justice.
    Because we are snakes in a river of pain. You have never seen art til you have seen a painted ghoul.

Retired

I think why some people might enjoy TENET is that if you're able to stay with the movie and work out its puzzles, there's a certain pleasure in doing that. It can make a person feel proud that they were able to follow along and figure out these little twists and turns.

However, for myself that's not enough. The first hour and a half of the movie is a fetch quest, where most of the science fiction aspects of the story are hidden. The sci fi doesn't come forward until the last hour. So for this long time, you have to muster some interest in this dry plot--maybe thinking about what complications are happening in the background--but there's not a lot of entertainment value in that. The movie does take place in various parts of the world--so it might be worth it for that reason, if you're stuck at home and you want to do some armchair travelling.

INCEPTION, by contrast, didn't play its cards so close to the vest. You did get enough of the science fiction throughout the movie to keep you entertained, even if all the secrets aren't revealed from the get-go.

I do like these kinds of puzzles and I was ahead of the movie, so I could anticipate what backwards logic was at play the first time around, before that was made clear later. But thinking about all that might have taken me out the movie. I was not too interested in Denzel Washington Jr. or Skinny Tall British Lady and their problems.

Now, there might be some entertainment value in going back to watch this movie again, so you can appreciate the timeline better. But then you have to sit through the boring stuff again. Contrast that with a movie like PALM SPRINGS. I watched that movie three times within a week and each time was just as much fun. When a movie is already entertaining, it's a pleasure to watch it again and again.

Although Christopher Nolan seems to really care about the cinematic aspect of his movies, I think that TENET is a better movie for home viewing. At home, you can better focus on the plot and spend time considering what's going on. You can, if you want, replay a scene. You can experiment with the volume and the sound quality or turn on closed captions if you're not getting some of the exposition (this movie has tons of exposition). For the guy who made MEMENTO, maybe he should have gone in the direction of making stuff for T.V.--because these kinds of stories play better for a home audience.

Retired

HAPPIEST SEASON (2020), directed by Clea Duvall.

With its Canadian content (Victor Garber, Dan Levy), I had high hopes for this movie, but a lot was like being at the dentist's office. The only parts I really enjoyed were those with Aubrey Plaza--and if the movie had gone in her direction more, then it might have been good.

It wants to be a gay version of a Christmas screwball comedy, like CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT, but it's more like a gay, female GET OUT. If it had leaned into that psychological horror story then it would have made some sort of statement. But in the end it just tries to wrap up the horror in Hallmark holiday paper.

Howl's Moving Castle. What a beautiful movie. I had not seen majority of the Studio Ghibli movies until this year. I had seen Grave of the Fireflies a while ago, but until this year, that was basically it. I watched Princess Mononoke maybe around mid year and now Howl's Moving Castle.

A lot of them are available on Netflix Canada and I'm so glad I decided to watch it last night.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member

007 Spectre

Wasnt bad, but I didn't feel any excitement while watching it.

Retired

HEROES FOR SALE (1933), directed by William A. Wellman, starring Richard Barthelmass.

This movie broke my heart over and over again and then left me in despair by the end. It tells the story of a W.W. I soldier--what he suffers in that war, how he's cast aside by society after the war, how he tries to rebuild his life, how he's stomped on again by the nation that cares nothing for his service and how he and all of his brothers are thrown out of town after town, called bums, deprived of any support, their families broken. This movie wrecked me. How is it that through art we keep reflecting back to society all the wrongs, yet nothing ever gets done? Watch this movie, it's an education.

BLACK BEAR (2020), written and directed by Lawrence Michael Levine, starring Aubrey Plaza. This movie becomes ever more fascinating, the further you get into it (avoid spoilers). There should be some kind of award for Plaza. A bravura performance. Huzzah!